Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The LivingDNA Irish update and being careful what you wish for...

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ireland UK Sweden Germany
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA
    J2b1a1(a)

Northern Ireland Ireland Wales Sweden Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathlingram View Post
    WOW! Got this:"Hi Kathleen,
    Thanks for getting in touch with Living DNA.
    Please log into your portal to view your new updated results. If you have any other questions please get back in touch and we will do our best to answer them."
    Living DNA UPDATE.png YES This is much more realistic.. Someone was listening to me..

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

BackToTheForests (04-01-2019),  fostert (04-01-2019),  Jessie (04-01-2019),  JMcB (04-01-2019),  laulei (03-31-2019),  Mstock (03-31-2019),  Robert1 (04-01-2019),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (03-31-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    EV13>Z5018>S2972*
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Ireland Northern Ireland England Lithuania Germany United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert1 View Post
    I tested in 2017 and got a beta upgrade on those Orion chip results 2/13/2019. Also I tested on the new Sirius chip and got results 12/12/2018. I'm looking forward for the update to roll out for everyone to see how updated Orion and updated Sirius compare using the same reference panel. Unfortunately different reference panels were used for each test below which makes it difficult to interpret the results.

There was no change in my MT and Y Haplogroup/subclades. Each chip reports K1a4a1f and R-L21>DF13

Living DNA - Complete Mode with Sub-Regions
    Robert ---------------- Orion 2017 - Sirius 12/12/18 - Orion 2/13/19
    Great Britain and Ireland -- 98.7% ---100.0% -------100.0%
    Northwest Scotland -------- 20.8% ---- 23.0% ------- 12.5%
    Aberdeenshire --------------- 6.9% ---- 14.6% --------- 3.7%
    SW Scotland & N. Ireland --- 1.3% ----- 2.5% ----------------
    Ireland ------------------------ 6.1% --- 37.6% -------- 31.1%
    Northumbria ------------------ 3.9% ----------------------------

Northwest England ---------- 10.0% ---- 3.5% ----------------
    Cumbria ---------------------------------------------------- 3.8%
    North Yorkshire --------------- 5.5% ---- 2.8% -----------------
    South Yorkshire --------------- 4.7% ---- 6.4% ---------- 6.9%
    North Wales ------------------- 2.9% ---------------------- 1.9%
    South Wales ------------------- 9.0% ---- 5.8% ---------- 4.8%
    South Wales Border ---------------------- 1.9% -----------------
    South Central England -------- 1.7% --------------------- 23.9%
    Devon -------------------------- 1.3% ----------------------------
    Cornwall ------------------------ 2.7% --------------------- 3.8%
    Southeast England ------------ 21.8% --- 1.9% ---------- 7.4%
    Scandinavia --------------------- 1.3% ----------------------------
    Europe West -------------------- 0.0% --- 0.0% ----------- 0.0%

known family history:
    English 32%, Scottish 28%, Welsh 20%, Irish 15%, German/Netherlands 5%
    Thank you for posting your comparison, Robert1! The Irish estimate is super high on the Orion upgrade and the Sirius chip but, to be fair, across the board people seem pretty pleased with their new Irish estimates (mine is solid and my fathers is 99% right on the money at a little over 26%) so it could be accurate or just super difficult to distinguish Scottish and Irish in your case. LivingDNA did get my broad ethnic ratio really well, at 68.6% total British and Irish and 31.3% Baltic/German (in LDNA's case simply Baltic), I'm happy with that. Did you find your English regional estimates to be okay on the upgrade and new chip? Some people are quite happy with theirs but I still think it isn't very good, not accurate at all in my own case. They did okay with my father since his largest English percentage is Central England but the rest seem pretty random.
    Y DNA E-V13>Z5018>S2979>Z16659>S2972* John Saunders unknown birthdate, died 1840 in Kings Bromley, Staffordshire, England.
    MtDNA U5a2c3a Betty Hallissy b.1801 Passage West, Cork, Ireland

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BackToTheForests For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (04-01-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    EV13>Z5018>S2972*
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Living DNA UPDATE.png YES This is much more realistic.. Someone was listening to me..
    I'm happy that you're pleased with your results! How was your regional breakdown compared to your paper trail?
    Y DNA E-V13>Z5018>S2979>Z16659>S2972* John Saunders unknown birthdate, died 1840 in Kings Bromley, Staffordshire, England.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BackToTheForests For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (04-02-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA
    J2b1a1(a)

Quote Originally Posted by BackToTheForests View Post
    I'm happy that you're pleased with your results! How was your regional breakdown compared to your paper trail?
    Well the Irish is just about correct.. 45=-% and the Swedish is a little low.. should maybe be 6-7%
    The Welsh I need to figure % as I know there is a lot as my father' side is doubled up there.. I am going to use AncestryDNA tags to try to determine that

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

BackToTheForests (04-02-2019),  JMcB (04-01-2019),  Robert1 (04-02-2019),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (04-01-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British/Irish
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b2
    mtDNA
    U5a2b3

England United Kingdom Scotland Ireland Wales
    I did see your post, it prompted me to email LDNA so thank you (I wouldn't have otherwise). If you don't mind my asking, how did the Irish update effect the rest of your estimate? Did it bring the rest together for you or did only the Irish estimate improve?

You should send them an email if you haven't already. All I did was politely express my frustration in seeing people being randomly updated and told them that their estimate falls very short of my documented genealogy, I had a response plus update in only three days time. I emailed support@livingdna.zendesk.com
    Hi, my new Irish update seems to have improved the accuracy of my full ethnicity picture overall, with more realistic estimates of my East Anglian, Central England and South-East England scores. I was getting small percentages previously of areas such as Cornwall where I'm pretty sure I have no ancestry from.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yorkie For This Useful Post:

BackToTheForests (04-02-2019),  Jessie (04-01-2019),  JMcB (04-01-2019),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (04-01-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    UK
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b>L513>A7> BY11186
    mtDNA
    K1a4a1f

Scotland Wales Ireland England Germany Netherlands
    Thank you for posting your comparison, Robert1! The Irish estimate is super high on the Orion upgrade and the Sirius chip but, to be fair, across the board people seem pretty pleased with their new Irish estimates (mine is solid and my fathers is 99% right on the money at a little over 26%) so it could be accurate or just super difficult to distinguish Scottish and Irish in your case. LivingDNA did get my broad ethnic ratio really well, at 68.6% total British and Irish and 31.3% Baltic/German (in LDNA's case simply Baltic), I'm happy with that. Did you find your English regional estimates to be okay on the upgrade and new chip? Some people are quite happy with theirs but I still think it isn't very good, not accurate at all in my own case. They did okay with my father since his largest English percentage is Central England but the rest seem pretty random.
    BackToTheForests, my updated results on Orion (2/13/2019) are the most accurate of the three. For me Ireland results are too high as they have sucked away a good bit of Scotland and Wales. But that's forgivable as they are similar so are hard to distinguish. Adding Ireland, Scotland and Wales my Orion 2/13/2019 results total about 54% and should be a bit higher, maybe 63%. So I believe ~10% of my ~24% South Central England actually is Wales and Wales border. Otherwise as far as my regions in England they could use a bit of shifting toward the north and northwest but it's really not bad after moving ~10% to Wales.

What I'm looking forward to is seeing the latest reference panel applied to both my Orion and Sirius kits. Living DNA says ethnicity results between the chips are the same but we'll soon see!

One thing interesting on all three tests, my known ~5% Dutch/German ancestry doesn't show up. It is mid-18th century so that small amount of autosomal DNA actually could have washed out. Since Living DNA is better now at finding Germanic/continental, my expected 95% British&Irish may actually be 99-100% as Living DNA consistently reports. Anyway, I'm not terribly concerned about 5% now as it could be hidden in SE England or actually washed out.

Funny, we were told as kids we were about 3/4 "English" and 1/4 Dutch/German. Then as I began building my family tree it seemed more like 90% British&Irish to 10% Dutch/German then on to 95% to 5% which I'm quite sure of now. On the autosomal side though, the continent still keeps slipping away and it really could be ~100% British&Irish

Estimated ancestry after reviewing Ancestry.com, 23&Me, FTDNA My Origins, Living DNA and known family history:
    33% English, 27% Scottish, 18% Welsh, 18% Irish, 4% German/Netherlands

Y-DNA leads to Isle of Skye, Scottish Highlands: R1b>M343>L278>L754>L389>P297>M269>L23>L51>L151/L11>P312>Z290>L21/M529>DF13>L513/DF1>S5668>A7>Z21253> S7834 > S7828 > BY11203 > BY11186 (about 320-550 years old)

MTDNA leads to Glamorgan, South Wales: K1a4a1f

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert1 For This Useful Post:

BackToTheForests (04-02-2019),  JMcB (04-04-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

I'm curious to see if my German or Irish/Scottish now show up. Just asked them to rerun it, so will have to see how they respond.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

BackToTheForests (04-02-2019),  JFWinstone (04-01-2019),  Robert1 (04-01-2019),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (04-01-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA
    J2b1a1(a)

Well the Irish is just about correct.. 45=-% and the Swedish is a little low.. should maybe be 6-7%
    The Welsh I need to figure % as I know there is a lot as my father' side is doubled up there.. I am going to use AncestryDNA tags to try to determine that
    19% Welsh could be possible as my Tipperary/Limerick line were soldiers and mercenaries for centuries and ended up there sometimes. and if my father's line is doubled up..
    Both 23andme and AncestryDNA show the North Wales/Manchester area as probable and both my Welsh Tract ancestors and some Irish ancestors ended up there c. 1700-1800

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (04-02-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA
    J2b1a1(a)

19% Welsh could be possible as my Tipperary/Limerick line were soldiers and mercenaries for centuries and ended up there sometimes. and if my father's line is doubled up..
    Both 23andme and AncestryDNA show the North Wales/Manchester area as probable and both my Welsh Tract ancestors and some Irish ancestors ended up there c. 1700-1800
    This is my 19% Welsh - More or less 43-45% UK Living DNA says 19.9 %
    Important to me and would like feedback.. Is my North Wales in areas that look more like My 50+ % Irish would have impacted? Or does it seem purely Welsh.. I have a lot of Welsh Tract Delaware ancestors who married their cousins (Other Welsh) in Delaware in 1700-1750s and my unknown-but -probably- a young Uncle of my Grandmother who is my father's unknown bio father would increase that genetic share by about 25%
    #1 is Living DNA #2 is AncestryDNA #3 is 23andme.. all seem about the same
    Thoughts? Thanks!!
    Living DNA North Wales.png AncestryDNA North Wales.png 23andme Wales Greater Manchester.png

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (04-02-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    EV13>Z5018>S2972*
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

This is my 19% Welsh - More or less 43-45% UK Living DNA says 19.9 %
    Important to me and would like feedback.. Is my North Wales in areas that look more like My 50+ % Irish would have impacted? Or does it seem purely Welsh.. I have a lot of Welsh Tract Delaware ancestors who married their cousins (Other Welsh) in Delaware in 1700-1750s and my unknown-but -probably- a young Uncle of my Grandmother who is my father's unknown bio father would increase that genetic share by about 25%
    #1 is Living DNA #2 is AncestryDNA #3 is 23andme.. all seem about the same
    Thoughts? Thanks!!
    Living DNA North Wales.png AncestryDNA North Wales.png 23andme Wales Greater Manchester.png
    I’m glad that your scores seemed reasonable, were your English regionals accurate? I wish that I could help you break down your results but I am absolutely terrible at it and will only embarrass myself when it comes to my own results . Hopefully someone reading can help!

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    Hi, my new Irish update seems to have improved the accuracy of my full ethnicity picture overall, with more realistic estimates of my East Anglian, Central England and South-East England scores. I was getting small percentages previously of areas such as Cornwall where I'm pretty sure I have no ancestry from.
    Very nice, good to hear that you're happy with your results. I'm having the same issue that you had with my own English regionals, large chunks of ancestry that don't match up at all to the genealogical record. I'm thinking, in my case, that a German panel update may help to ease the inconsistencies in my test.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1 View Post
    BackToTheForests, my updated results on Orion (2/13/2019) are the most accurate of the three. For me Ireland results are too high as they have sucked away a good bit of Scotland and Wales. But that's forgivable as they are similar so are hard to distinguish. Adding Ireland, Scotland and Wales my Orion 2/13/2019 results total about 54% and should be a bit higher, maybe 63%. So I believe ~10% of my ~24% South Central England actually is Wales and Wales border. Otherwise as far as my regions in England they could use a bit of shifting toward the north and northwest but it's really not bad after moving ~10% to Wales.

What I'm looking forward to is seeing the latest reference panel applied to both my Orion and Sirius kits. Living DNA says ethnicity results between the chips are the same but we'll soon see!

One thing interesting on all three tests, my known ~5% Dutch/German ancestry doesn't show up. It is mid-18th century so that small amount of autosomal DNA actually could have washed out. Since Living DNA is better now at finding Germanic/continental, my expected 95% British&Irish may actually be 99-100% as Living DNA consistently reports. Anyway, I'm not terribly concerned about 5% now as it could be hidden in SE England or actually washed out.

Funny, we were told as kids we were about 3/4 "English" and 1/4 Dutch/German. Then as I began building my family tree it seemed more like 90% British&Irish to 10% Dutch/German then on to 95% to 5% which I'm quite sure of now. On the autosomal side though, the continent still keeps slipping away and it really could be ~100% British&Irish
    Thanks, Robert1. I'll be interested to see the differences in the updated Sirius compared to the Orion!

I'm curious if some minor amount of continental would pop upon the application of the improved German data, I suppose only time will tell but I can't help to think that it would improve my own English regional results and probably yours as well (maybe you are actually 100% British/Irish, that would be really cool to find out too). I've been thinking about how DNA washes out and it can potentially happen very quickly, especially depending upon how much of the said DNA you actually inherit from your ancestor.

Hah, I love the evolution of measuring our own ethnic backgrounds as we gain access to more information, it seems the ratios are always changing a bit but also becoming more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    I'm curious to see if my German or Irish/Scottish now show up. Just asked them to rerun it, so will have to see how they respond.
    I was hoping that the Irish update would effect my continental percentages and it did. Unfortunately the change is not exactly accurtate and I've now had to ask for yet another update including the new German reference panel, a bit of a drag as I'm not sure if they will even grant me that. Hopefully it will work out well for you.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BackToTheForests For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (04-02-2019)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast