Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The LivingDNA Irish update and being careful what you wish for...

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by BackToTheForests View Post
    You've got about the same amount of German as I do, my great grandmother on my fathers side was German and my mother has a bit of German/Dutch admixture from her Colonial line, yet I scored a whopping 0% on my bought test, they gave me about 2% French though but it disappeared after the application of the improved Irish panel. Sorry to be a bother but would you mind telling me where your German ancestors hail from? I have a consistent problem with very low German score across platforms, my father seems to fare a bit better but not by much. On his LDNA test he also gets 0% German, it's rolled into his Eastern Europe score (which is way too high at around 40%) and they give him about 10% Scandinavian (which is also way too high as I have zero Scandinavian ancestors in the past 200 years).

I'm very curious to see what happens with your results when they are finally updated and what you think about them. I'm starting to think that maybe I'm the problem :/
    My German ancestors that I've managed to trace back to Germany are from the Rhineland-Palatinate. I also have a few I've grouped in the same category (time period, German names) who were actually from Switzerland, though.

On an unrelated note, I have a known ggg grandmother whose parents were both from France. That long ago it could have disappeared (3% on paper), except that I have matches where the only link seems to be the French couple. I haven't gotten any French on LDNA (or on Ancestry, although my sister gets 3% France on Ancestry, could just be a coincidence).

I think most of the tests have an issue with separating out much of western Europe, but my suspicion here is that my German and Irish/Scottish that doesn't show up at all is throwing off the rest of the test.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

BackToTheForests (04-04-2019),  Dewsloth (04-04-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    EV13>Z5018>S2972*
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a

Ireland Northern Ireland England Lithuania Germany United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewsloth View Post
    It's not just you: Dad's results from LivingDNA. He also scored about 10% Scandinavian/Finnish despite no Scandinavian ancestors within the last 300 years.
    Attachment 29645

Dad's results from Ancestry (and ancestry )

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 51%
    Germanic Europe 40%
    European Jewish 5%
    France 4%

Dad was born in Germany to a German/Belgian/Ashkenazi father and an American BritishColonial/PADutch/Swiss(b. Zurich 1732) mother.
    Note LivingDNA's utter lack of any western/central euro...
    We'll see what the LivingDNA update will bring.

Edit: Also Dad has no known Italian in at least the last 300 years, despite the 11%+ award by LivingDNA
    Oh my Looks like it's time to buckle up, I mean the update can't make things any worse...r-right?

Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    My German ancestors that I've managed to trace back to Germany are from the Rhineland-Palatinate. I also have a few I've grouped in the same category (time period, German names) who were actually from Switzerland, though.

On an unrelated note, I have a known ggg grandmother whose parents were both from France. That long ago it could have disappeared (3% on paper), except that I have matches where the only link seems to be the French couple. I haven't gotten any French on LDNA (or on Ancestry, although my sister gets 3% France on Ancestry, could just be a coincidence).

I think most of the tests have an issue with separating out much of western Europe, but my suspicion here is that my German and Irish/Scottish that doesn't show up at all is throwing off the rest of the test.
    Ah, my great grandmother was half Hesse (fathers family from Ober-Erlenbach/Holzhausen/Friedberg) and half Hannover (mother). Hannover is where I lose the trail so I may be facing a similar situation as you and your Swiss ancestors. I also face a similar French situation with my mother, she has decent size (almost 30cm, single segment) matches with two French people on 23andMe. I've been fortunate enough to be able to have a look at their trees and they are French to the bone. I'm not sure I'll ever find the connection as the matches seem too high to be from her (one) French ancestor who died back in 1750.

Hopefully the full LDNA updates (not just the bits and pieces given out upon request) will be worth the wait, it's all up to time now.
    Last edited by BackToTheForests; 04-04-2019 at 12:25 AM.
    Y DNA E-V13>Z5018>S2979>Z16659>S2972* John Saunders unknown birthdate, died 1840 in Kings Bromley, Staffordshire, England.
    MtDNA U5a2c3a Betty Hallissy b.1801 Passage West, Cork, Ireland

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BackToTheForests For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (04-04-2019),  Kathlingram (04-04-2019),  msmarjoribanks (04-04-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ireland UK Sweden Germany
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

Northern Ireland Ireland Wales Sweden Scotland
    Oh my Looks like it's time to buckle up, I mean the update can't make things any worse...r-right?

Ah, my great grandmother was half Hesse (fathers family from Ober-Erlenbach/Holzhausen/Friedberg) and half Hannover (mother). Hannover is where I lose the trail so I may be facing a similar situation as you and your Swiss ancestors. I also face a similar French situation with my mother, she has decent size (almost 30cm, single segment) matches with two French people on 23andMe. I've been fortunate enough to be able to have a look at their trees and they are French to the bone. I'm not sure I'll ever find the connection as the matches seem too high to be from her (one) French ancestor who died back in 1750.

Hopefully the full LDNA updates (not just the bits and pieces given out upon request) will be worth the wait, it's all up to time now.
    So maybe I did not get the Full Update since I told them I wanted Irish German and Sweden..However since that is all I know that I am ( paper trail) it mostly worked well.. and it is in line with 23andme AncestryDNA and my uploads to MyHeritage and FTDNA..

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

So maybe I did not get the Full Update since I told them I wanted Irish German and Sweden..However since that is all I know that I am ( paper trail) it mostly worked well.. and it is in line with 23andme AncestryDNA and my uploads to MyHeritage and FTDNA..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

BackToTheForests (04-04-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    EV13>Z5018>S2972*
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a

Quote Originally Posted by Kathlingram View Post
    If you check the email they’ve sent you it might tell which panels were applied. FTDNA and MyHeritage are total wildcards for me resembling a different person entirely. LDNA, regionally, matches pretty well with 23andMe when it comes to British/Irish but my subregions are truly a mess. To not get Central England in my result after the update when my only English ancestors from the past 200 years are from the West Midlands is a bit absurd. I think it is just too ambitious.
    Y DNA E-V13>Z5018>S2979>Z16659>S2972* John Saunders unknown birthdate, died 1840 in Kings Bromley, Staffordshire, England.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BackToTheForests For This Useful Post:

Kathlingram (04-04-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

If you check the email they’ve sent you it might tell which panels were applied. FTDNA and MyHeritage are total wildcards for me resembling a different person entirely. LDNA, regionally, matches pretty well with 23andMe when it comes to British/Irish but my subregions are truly a mess. To not get Central England in my result after the update when my only English ancestors from the past 200 years are from the West Midlands is a bit absurd. I think it is just too ambitious.
    The email does not say what they upgraded but I requested Irish and said I was NOT 100% British Isles.. so since I got 3.4% Swedish and the Irish changed.. that surely.. and the Irish changing modified other things.. I did not save my other results but had them sort of committed to memory.. I did not have 19 % North Wales.. some but not 19%.. all of that seems close to everyone else..Yes MyHeritage is odd:
    •North and West Europe 90.6%
    Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 89.2%
    North and West European 1.4%
    •South Europe 6 .5%
    Italian 6.5%
    •East Europe 2.9%
    Baltic 2.9%

The Italian is out of line but often Switzerland can mimic North Italy..
    I think that FTDNA is off too..( Just looked hence edit) they say 67% British Isles but then have the map lap it over France and Baltic States and the have 8% Southern Europe 6% Scandinavian and 8% SouthEast Europe..

23andme and AncestryDNA are neck and neck with Living DNA
    Last edited by Kathlingram; 04-04-2019 at 07:57 PM. Reason: added FTDNA

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

BackToTheForests (04-05-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    EV13>Z5018>S2972*
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a

Quote Originally Posted by Kathlingram View Post
    The email does not say what they upgraded but I requested Irish and said I was NOT 100% British Isles.. so since I got 3.4% Swedish and the Irish changed.. that surely.. and the Irish changing modified other things.. I did not save my other results but had them sort of committed to memory.. I did not have 19 % North Wales.. some but not 19%.. all of that seems close to everyone else..Yes MyHeritage is odd:
    •North and West Europe 90.6%
    Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 89.2%
    North and West European 1.4%
    •South Europe 6 .5%
    Italian 6.5%
    •East Europe 2.9%
    Baltic 2.9%

The Italian is out of line but often Switzerland can mimic North Italy..
    I think that FTDNA is off too..( Just looked hence edit) they say 67% British Isles but then have the map lap it over France and Baltic States and the have 8% Southern Europe 6% Scandinavian and 8% SouthEast Europe..

23andme and AncestryDNA are neck and neck with Living DNA
    To me, MyHeritage and FTDNA are like asking the town drunk "what am I?". I do love having access to all of those matches, though, so I am thankful for that.

My v4 23andMe, after the update, is solid. Really nice results there. The v5 was excellent before phasing but somehow became a bit messy afterwards . I'm awaiting AncestryDNA results right now, I'm actually pretty excited to see how they turn out.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BackToTheForests For This Useful Post:

Mike_G (04-09-2019),  [email protected] (04-05-2019),  sktibo (04-05-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

To me, MyHeritage and FTDNA are like asking the town drunk "what am I?". I do love having access to all of those matches, though, so I am thankful for that.

My v4 23andMe, after the update, is solid. Really nice results there. The v5 was excellent before phasing but somehow became a bit messy afterwards . I'm awaiting AncestryDNA results right now, I'm actually pretty excited to see how they turn out.
    23andme is the better test I still think ( Y and mito Also) BUT AncestryDNA is hugely fun!! Over 15 Million testers too.. Solves many questions and ThruLines point out some small matches whose trees are not visible or even public..How long that will last dunno.. And the Geographic is in line with 23andme.. Let me know what you think..

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Australian & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

Ireland Australia Ireland County Tipperary Ireland Munster
    This is from an upload of 23andMe that I did a while ago. I've just checked and before it was 100% Irish but this is the new result.

This is my original test that hasn't been changed. This was from an actual spit test.

Last edited by Jessie; 04-18-2019 at 03:55 PM.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (04-18-2019),  BackToTheForests (04-19-2019),  fostert (04-19-2019),  JonikW (04-19-2019),  Mike_G (04-19-2019),  Robert McBride (04-18-2019),  [email protected] (04-18-2019),  sktibo (04-18-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA (P)
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c23

United States of America Scotland
    Jesse, I take it your Irish! In the era of fake news are you sure? All kidding aside that is a big change and are you satisfied it follows your known ancestry. I see your Asia is gone, same here. Here are my new results.

D1394A25-024F-452D-AD04-1220B356DF19.png

Here are kit results.

CD586F83-9DB8-4CAE-A237-2C1BDCA564DC.png7CD95464-0248-4160-8D3A-5D10DF44A6DA.png

Transferred data from LDNA to MyHeritage.

4A326C6F-9F9E-49B5-8BF9-E149A1440BD3.png

Next time I take a DNA test, Iíll make sure I spin the wheel harder.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amerijoe For This Useful Post:

BackToTheForests (04-19-2019),  Jessie (04-19-2019),  [email protected] (04-18-2019),  sktibo (04-18-2019)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast