Thread: Is FTDNA especially good for researching Swedish roots and relatives?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Sweden

Is FTDNA especially good for researching Swedish roots and relatives?

Or should i try AncestryDNA?

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63

I have lots of Swedish matches on FTDNA (also MH), and am not aware of any on Ancestry.

Ancestry is useful for actual family history research and FTDNA isn't, but it has other benefits (YDNA and mtDNA tests available and various projects you can join).

In theory you can test at Ancestry and upload other places, and you don't have to test at Ancestry to use its resources.

Sex

In my particular case I found FTDNA to be the most useful for Swedish matches (and Nordic matches in general), especially in the past. Following up on what msmarjoribanks says about MyHeritage, there are a lot of Swedes there, too. Note that you can test elsewhere and upload to these sites (I can't post links on this forum, but if you're not familiar with this, you can find this info quickly with an Internet search).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ingrian + Russian
    Nationality
    Swedish, Russian
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3k
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1:Z92FGC46016

Finland Russian Federation Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Soutine View Post
    Or should i try AncestryDNA?
    Ancestry has had an aggressive campaign in Sweden and I know some people that tested there. FTDNA has been around on the international market for much longer time than Ancestry. Considering usefullness - FTDNA has been most useful so far - there are more close mathces there and the number is constantly growing. I have got new matches on Ancestry, but only distant - no new match closer than 30 cM. At FTDNA I have got several new matches that are over 100 cM and a few over 150 cM. I see much more matches without any family tree on Ancestry. I think a see more matches with a family tree on FTDNA and I can see contact details so I can e-mail some interesting matches there. FTDNA is still more popular in genealogical groups in Sweden.

I think that people interested in genealogy will go with FTDNA because there are more advanced tests there like Y37, Y67, Y111, BigY and mtFULL. None other vendor offers these tests and none vendor has such big Y-database (Y chromosome data useful for paternal line research).

I think you should do both - FTDNA is good for international matches (like Germany, Sweden, Finland and so on) and Ancestry is very good for USA matches.