Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Dante Labs Long Read Test

Registered Users
    Sex

Hmm, that's weird. One of the main selling points of Oxford Nanopore is that "pay as you go" thing, there is very little up front cost (although, in business terms of course training, workforce etc.). Although the starter kits cost more than new packs. It sounds to me like nobody has yet received their final results(?) on long reads, so I suspect it's some sort of combination of bioninformatics/data processing holdup and possibly as the "sold out" implies, reaching capacity. Given the price point and their presentation and the London Calling conference presentation, that wouldn't surprise me.

Alternatively as someone earlier observed, if they're needing two flowcells per sequence, it's may not be profitable for them at this point (Although you would expect them to raise the price then, instead of dropping it as they've done), possibly waiting for R10 flow-cells to roll out. Finally, possible that Oxford Nanopore is just out of flowcells as they're switching to R10 production... Also I notice the product description has changed into "for researchers" only which makes sense/is how it should originally have been, because as noted earlier it's not going to be very useful for customers looking for genetic genealogy/SNP data.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donwulff For This Useful Post:

MacUalraig (07-18-2019),  pinoqio (07-20-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864

Or, especially since the CEO is ex-Amazon, it could just be one of those 'only one remaining' sales gimmicks.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

Registered Users
    Sex

You can't order it currently, though. Either way, I'll give it's a little confusing. I should just sum it up as "we don't really know". I did note that the standard PromethION package includes 4 months of warranty & license, which I think would be up right about now. But if they were going to quit offering ONT, I doubt they'd presented at London Calling Nanopore conference. If issue is the price, I doubt they'd lowered the price just a bit earlier. I think if I was in their shoes, I might wait for R10 flowcells though as the price seems to be same but sequencing yield higher. And the ONT store says "We are aiming to ship R10 flow cells in July/August".

What's the status on the data they have released? On Facebook they originally announced "We started releasing our first long reads whole genome sequencing data to our customers, in less than 30 days after receiving the samples." but I understood people have only reported receiving FASTQ files? Any final deliverables, or information on them?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864

No not a word since they posted the FASTQ on May 17th. Official status is

"Your Kit will be Sequenced Shortly

Your kit has passed the quality care inspection and is scheduled to be sequenced shortly. After sequencing is complete your results will be posted soon after."
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

pmokeefe (07-19-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Czech
    Nationality
    Czech
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1i
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y14088

Czech Republic Austria Austrian Empire Bohemia Carinthia
    My kit delivered to them on April 26th still shows: "We Are Awaiting Your Kit".

Several e-mails exchanged, several weeks ago they wrote me "The results are ready to be uploaded.​" - but still no change.
    Y-DNA: R-Y14088 (ISOGG: R1b1a1a2a1a2b1c2b1a1a)
    mtDNA: J1c1i (J1c1 + 7735G and 8848C) Extras: 198T 12007A 16422C 16431A

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petr For This Useful Post:

MacUalraig (07-19-2019),  pmokeefe (07-19-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Dante Labs WholeGenomeL Long Read sequencing is again orderable, at least on EU site. No "last kit" or anything.
    On the other hand no updates for my kit since 20th June when they reported the kit received; still in QC, which is unfortunate. I recall someone earlier reported they went from QC to FASTQ available in one go after a month, so fingers crossed...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Donwulff For This Useful Post:

pmokeefe (07-31-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Not WGSL but my data have been erased from my account and they don't appear to want to issue refund. My kit number is till there.
    Anyone else with the same experience?
    And did you really pay 900 dollars to a company that a lot of people suspect of fraud?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Finnish
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1-a2h2d2a1a2
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y40511

Finland
    The kit manager is just broken at the moment.. looking at the JSON they receive from their "API" backend seems to be missing some commas. They prolly get it fixed soon though.

Registered Users
    Sex

Genome Manager is back, at least for me, at least for the time being. There seems to be some changes though, "We found high risk variants in these conditions" no longer shows conditions, just pharmacogenomics. But Reports page had direct link to "Health & Wellness". This may be temporary with some changes they're making, but that's not necessarily bad chance, like I commented before the way they were displaying the genomic conditions seemed misleading because it read like a diagnosis, even if you were only a carrier for example, although they seemed to add some disclaimers earlier. The PDF reports presumably have the disclaimer pre-ample. Alternatively it's possible the "health conditions" reports will only be available via paying for them in their "New Reports" store, though right now it's bit unclear what they're going for (mayhaps testing things out themselves).

I would note though that the "Genome Manager" was never part of the deal of the product as sold; in fact I don't believe they promise updates or continued service anywhere on the site, just the one time download/disk delivery. Most DNA testing companies are requiring continuous subscription for updates to their product, which is borderline unethical because the interpretations are always changing so there should be efficient way of informing people of errors and new discoveries in their interpretations. Which makes me hope they maintain the free updates, but yeah, economically that may not make whole lot of sense.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish/British Isles
    Nationality
    U.S.
    mtDNA (M)
    H1
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-A9185

Poland England Ireland Munster
    I ordered my "Long Reads" kit back in June. On June 24, Dante Labs emailed me that the sample was received.
    Today August 20th I received the email 'The status of your kit ... has been updated to "QC Completed"'.
    Anyone else with recent news on the their Dante Long Reads kits?
    YFull: YF14620 (Dante Labs 2018)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789