100% European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    DF27>CTS4065>FG23196
    mtDNA
    U5a1a2a

United States of America United Kingdom Germany Ireland Scotland Wales
    It made me laugh, but then I am the guy who can’t control himself if I see someone wipe out, so I’m pretty easy.

Registered Users
    Sex

I was wondering just what was their business plan (I mean, I know it's a satire... but that isn't exactly free), forgot the name of the site and Googled it. That turned out several sources, https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...a-thud/584026/ being probably most interesting.

So it seems Elon Musk gave them 2 million "no strings attached" budget or so it's claimed, with a staff of 13 that's about 150.000 dollars per head (Excluding any costs to actually run the operation), and for that they turn up with... this. I mean, give me $5.000 and I'll produce a site like that which is actually funny AND educational. Okay, educational might cost you $15.000. In this case they're just regurgiating "conspiracies" you can find on any discussion board, like the Chinese cloning people from saliva sent to them, and claiming it's sparking absent discussion. (Or rather, as the message seems to be, scaring people away from DNA testing, although the article does note "It loses its punch if people think it’s real." while admitting they're on a mission using satire "because it can feel less preachy".)

To be fair, according to the article “In the days following DNA Friend, we will be launching a project that addresses guns in America, one project that tackles people’s self-obsession, and another, absolutely absurd one that satirizes the way products are slickly marketed.” Some of those sound actually interesting.

But to be clear, it seems like satire or not, the company is squarely against DTC genetic testing. And let's remember even if DTC testing was outlawed today, medical companies, governments and law enforcement would continue it unabated. Right now DTC is pretty much only way for average people to get access to their OWN genetic information & education before everybody else already has it.

Interestingly Oxford Nanopore MinION, or something like that can somewhat change it by making it possible for people to analyse their own DNA without involving a third party for analysis at all. Of course, you leave your DNA everywhere you go anyway... It would already be pretty much possible for your date to use MinION to analyse your genetic "suitability" while you're out for drinks (I mean... there's a semple prep lab in every women's restroom, haven't you checked? and that's more thought-provoking and frankly frightening than anything on the DNA Friends site. (ONT has been specifically preparing VolTRAX & SmidgION to allow sample prep and DNA reading on a mobile phone while you wait, and there's been essentially no discussion on the implications of this).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norman/German
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1B-DF99(FGC16982)

Germany Imperial Normandie
    "DNA Friend may not be held responsible for cases of anxiety, depression, or suicidal ideation resulting from confirmation that the customer is Dutch."

Priceless
    K8: French East/German South/Austrian 26%, French North East/Belgian/German West 25%, French North 25%, Irish/Scottish/Welsh 10%, French South/French Basque 9%, German East/Czech/Austrian 5%
    K36: French East/German South/Swiss German 33%, French North East/Belgian/German West 31%, French North Central 21%, Irish/Scottish/Welsh 9%, French South/ French Basque 6%
    K16: German 50%, French North West 19%, French North East 11%, Irish/English 11%, French South 9%

Registered Users
    Sex

Let me try to shorten that up: The problem isn't that some of the quips aren't funny on their own (Although already seen many times on DNA discussion forums), but the issue is that even in the The Atlantic interview I linked above they're fairly candid that the whole purpose of the site is an underhanded attempt to turn public further against DTC genetic testing, using a format they're describing as "less preachy" and "more effective" than Fake News.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Donwulff For This Useful Post:

Theconqueror (04-23-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12