Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    DF27>CTS4065>FG23196
    mtDNA
    U5a1a2a

United States of America United Kingdom Germany Ireland Scotland Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Verity View Post
    Thank you, Webb. Of course, it is the viking one. Forgive me, got it mixed up with the gladiator cemetery!.....senior moment!
    No problem. As more sites are uncovered it will only get harder. I have to have a spreadsheet to keep myself straight.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Webb For This Useful Post:

JonikW (04-22-2019),  Verity (04-22-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1a

Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by sgdavies@hotmail.com View Post
    Just watched it on catch up, interesting documentary, seemed to have homed in on location of Foremark, near Derby as location of Great Hearthen Army, but very short on technical details like Haplogroups and other DNA info.
    It would be interesting to find out how diverse the Great Hearthern Army was, so we from this program know that about 20% were women, but were they primarily from one location in Scandinavia? or as I suspect, dragged in from very differing areas in the Viking extended world, Ireland, Scotland, UK, All Scandinavia, Finland, Baltic states area, Northern Germany, Poland, Russian, Northen France etc?
    But I imagine the core would be Scandinavia.
    Last edited by sgdavies@hotmail.com; 04-23-2019 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Edits and further thoughts.
    Gedmatch
    Kit Num: M129412, QA3736362
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sgdavies@hotmail.com For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (04-23-2019),  Garimund (04-23-2019),  Jessie (04-27-2019),  JonikW (04-23-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Isles Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA
    V

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland Normandie
    Quote Originally Posted by sgdavies@hotmail.com View Post
    It would be interesting to find out how diverse the Great Hearthern Army was, so we from this program know that about 20% were women, but were they primarily from one location in Scandinavia? or as I suspect, dragged in from very differing areas in the Viking extended world, Ireland, Scotland, UK, All Scandinavia, Finland, Baltic states area, Northern Germany, Poland, Russian, Northen France etc?
    But I imagine the core would be Scandinavia.
    Let's hope the DNA that we were promised earlier will shed light on these issues when it arrives. The programme did say that the team now has years of work ahead of it. I also forgot to mention earlier that the theory of relocated bodies relates to the central role of Repton for the Mercian kingship and the symbolism involved in controlling the site.
    Living DNA Cautious mode:
    South Wales Border-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    Cumbria-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,280 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales, 18th century. Mother's Y line (Wales): R-L21 L371

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (04-23-2019),  Jessie (04-27-2019),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (04-23-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z255
    mtDNA
    K1C1B

Ireland Ireland County Tipperary
    The son should have had an Irish mother so that might have been seen in the dna evidence too.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CillKenny For This Useful Post:

Jessie (04-27-2019),  JonikW (04-23-2019),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (04-23-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Isles Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA
    V

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland Normandie
    This just out today. New findings about the last Norse shot at taking England in 1066. Slightly off topic, but heartening that there are still discoveries to be made about the Viking era for the upcoming generations of archaeologists. We just need them to get hooked on aDNA now.

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/175...-fulford-site/
    Living DNA Cautious mode:
    South Wales Border-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    Cumbria-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,280 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales, 18th century. Mother's Y line (Wales): R-L21 L371

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (04-23-2019),  Jessie (04-27-2019),  JMcB (04-23-2019),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (04-23-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-A14097

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland France Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by CillKenny View Post
    The son should have had an Irish mother so that might have been seen in the dna evidence too.
    Yes, that would definitely be a clue in the results they found. Although, Oistin mac Amlaíb could have simply been given a Gaelic name in Irish recordings of historical events. Amlaíb Conung is just a Gaelic rendition of "Óláfr konungr". It's also possible that Amlaíb Conung was the same person as Olaf the White.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

Jessie (04-27-2019),  JMcB (04-24-2019),  JonikW (04-23-2019),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (04-23-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I-L338
    mtDNA
    J1c1

United Kingdom England England North of England Norfolk Scotland Ireland
    I quite enjoyed the documentary - some minor gripes I had were with the graphics depicting the ships and stills for re-enactment of Viking warriors - I thought those looked a bit naff and I found the gentleman who was always wearing red (Mark Horton) very annoying and full of himself. But I enjoyed a lot of the rest of it - the new site findings at Foremark with the artifacts and gaming pieces, as well as the Anglo-Saxon settlement below that, the discussion of the injuries of the man in the most elaborate grave 511 at Repton, the DNA confirmation of the double grave with the father-son relationship. I thought Cat Jarman did a nice job as the main presenter and made the show more about the subject than the presenter - which is not always the case with some of these documentaries.

I would have liked to know more about the DNA analysis, but I think that's probably all you're going to get in a program like this - it's always going to be a bit of a balancing act between satisfying academic versus broad appeal in less than an hour with commercial breaks. The show's producer Terry Black said on Twitter: "There was more than enough material for two hour-long programmes, if not more! Unfortunately had to squeeze a huge amount into just 44 minutes. So many other stories and bits of research that didn’t even get a look-in. @CatJarman will be publishing all details soon!"

Cat Jarman's Twitter feed also promises more in the future in the form of publications in the near future, starting with a short article in the June issue of Current Archaeology and a book coming out next year. Someone asked her directly about the haplogroups of the father and son and she replied "Not yet, but it should be published in a paper in the next few months hopefully" so I guess we have to be patient but at least it sounds like it will come out. There's also a new podcast on History Hit here https://player.fm/series/dan-snows-h...catrine-jarman that says that the US broadcast will be on Nova in May.

I'm not convinced by the proposed father and son identified as Olaf and Eystein - for me the evidence is rather circumstantial at best on what has been presented to date, although may have a better idea when the promised publications and book come out and we can have a read of that. But overall, a great show and I enjoyed it.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deadly77 For This Useful Post:

GoldenHind (04-24-2019),  Jessie (04-27-2019),  JMcB (04-24-2019),  JonikW (04-24-2019),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (04-24-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA
    H2 P96
    mtDNA
    H1c3

England
    I found it very intresting, it was long assumed that the warrior with the Thors Hammer and Boar tusk was in fact 'Ivar the boneless'. Their DNA samples will be important, as it may be able to possibly separate confirmed Viking Danish elements etc from the Anglo Saxon, so fingers crossed.

It is also possible that this occupation area, was much larger than previously thought as, the cremation Burials in Ingleby Woods are also associated with the Great Army, along with those of Repton, but now new further evidence of occupation is found at Foremark, which is exactly in between the two, possibly suggesting a very much larger force, covering a wider area, than what was earlier currently believed.

Put these along side the encampment at Torksey, where the Roman road Crossing the trent was, then there was a considerable force encamped along the River Trent, between Repton and Torksey. At Torksey there were even pottery kilns known alongside its own mint, suggesting these were not just Winter encampments.
    Last edited by Paul333; 04-27-2019 at 02:07 PM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul333 For This Useful Post:

Jessie (04-27-2019),  JMcB (04-27-2019),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (04-27-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo/British Isles
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b>DF27
    mtDNA
    J1c5

United States of America England Wales Northern Ireland Scotland Normandie
    Anyone know if this documentary is available in the US? I’ve looked for it and can’t find it.
    AncestryDNA results:
    England, Wales, & NW Europe 71%
    Ireland & Scotland 24%
    Norway 2%
    Sweden 2%
    Cameroon, Congo 1%

23&me results:
    British & Irish 62.9%
    French & German 15.0%
    Scandinavian 0.9%
    Broadly Northwestern European 19.4%
    Broadly Southern European 0.9%
    Broadly European 0.1%
    Sub-Saharan African 0.7%

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1a

Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Garimund View Post
    Anyone know if this documentary is available in the US? I’ve looked for it and can’t find it.
    Have you tried a VPN and try it from their website?
    Gedmatch
    Kit Num: M129412, QA3736362
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sgdavies@hotmail.com For This Useful Post:

Garimund (04-27-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast