Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amerindian-like input in pred. Irish person?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    Possibly R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a3a1

England North of England Ireland Scotland Germany Romani Star of David

Amerindian-like input in pred. Irish person?

So I've posted a similar query before, but recent looking through yourDNAportal and mytrueancestry has piqued my interest.

My mother is pred. Irish from Munster. Her mother was born in Ireland, her father was born in England to Irish parents from the same town in Tipperary. She is 1/8th Irish Traveller and also appears to have minor Romani ancestry. She scores constant low levels of Siberian/Amerindian-like admix, which appear at least to be partially of Sami derivation.

On yourDNAportal she has the following alleles associated with Amerindian ancestry- rs80269044(CC) and rs921928(GT). From what I can see, rs80269044(CC) is incredibly rare amongst non-Amerindian populations and almost nonexistent in Europe. She scores no EDAR or East Asian AIMs. Mytrueancestry says something along the lines of "while we did detect indigenous DNA in your sample, we are as yet unable to predict your indigenous admixture levels."

On GEDmatch archaic, she matches with Clovis-Anzick 1 at 1cM, but not Kennewick. She does, however, share a lot of segments between Clovis-Anzick and some of the non-Amerindian (Swedish, Hungarian, Siberian) samples. Doing a two-to-many with her and Clovis-Anzick generates a small list of people who all have varying degrees of Amerindian ancestry.

If she does have distant Amerindian admix, my mind is well and truly blown. Where would it have come from? The Sami I can understand as there was a lot of mixed Viking/Sami people, but I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest that Vikings took brides from their North American settlement.
    Target: mildlycurly_scaled
    Distance: 1.3578% / 0.01357814
    57.0 Irish
    37.6 English
    2.6 Roma_Barcelona
    1.8 Ashkenazi_Germany
    1.0 Roma_Granada

Current research interest(s): The Viscontis of Milan

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mildlycurly For This Useful Post:

Aroon1916 (12-31-2020),  Nino90 (02-26-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

It's probably just noise. There is a chance that some family with a tiny amount of native blood migrated back to the UK from the new world but it's not likely.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xenus For This Useful Post:

Aroon1916 (12-31-2020),  Caius Agrippa (12-31-2020),  Nino90 (02-26-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    mtDNA (M)
    X2B5

I have the rs80269044CC and a few others. I am mostly scandinavian and my dna test tells me that I have a part from the British isles, one tells me that I am about 59% Scandinavian 13% Irish and mostly English ( + 1% not very likely, that could be siberian) another place tells me that I am more than 90% scandinavian, 5,9 British and the rest is from Finland.

I get a lot of matches on 4+cousins from northern Ireland, England and British people with last names from Scotland/ Ireland and some dna calculators tells me that my dna admixture is more like western Scottish and Ireland, than Norwegian.

Maybe some of my seafaring ancesters brought it from the British isles, with some females? My mtdna is more common in Scotland/ Ireland and Orkney, than in Norway. ( X2B5)

It looks like most of the Irish part is something I have in common with my grandmothers father on my mothers side, and most of the Scottish from my grandmothers mothers side + a great deal from my grandfather on my mothers side.

..and my true dna tells me the same thing about tracing native american dna, as some other admixture calculators also does. ( Most saami females from Norway and Sweden, suprisingly has more dna from Iberia, than siberia)
    Last edited by Absinthia; 12-31-2020 at 01:02 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Absinthia For This Useful Post:

Aroon1916 (12-31-2020),  pmokeefe (02-08-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Saharan
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M3988
    mtDNA (M)
    L3e5

Tunisia African Union
    Well Ireland is the closest land to the american continent after Iceland.

Vikings were aware of Greenland and North America.
    Regions of Ancestry
    West Africa - East Africa - North Africa - Middle East - Southern Europe - South Asia - SEA & Oceania

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hurricane For This Useful Post:

Aroon1916 (12-31-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England United Kingdom Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by mildlycurly View Post
    So I've posted a similar query before, but recent looking through yourDNAportal and mytrueancestry has piqued my interest.

My mother is pred. Irish from Munster. Her mother was born in Ireland, her father was born in England to Irish parents from the same town in Tipperary. She is 1/8th Irish Traveller and also appears to have minor Romani ancestry. She scores constant low levels of Siberian/Amerindian-like admix, which appear at least to be partially of Sami derivation.

On yourDNAportal she has the following alleles associated with Amerindian ancestry- rs80269044(CC) and rs921928(GT). From what I can see, rs80269044(CC) is incredibly rare amongst non-Amerindian populations and almost nonexistent in Europe. She scores no EDAR or East Asian AIMs. Mytrueancestry says something along the lines of "while we did detect indigenous DNA in your sample, we are as yet unable to predict your indigenous admixture levels."

On GEDmatch archaic, she matches with Clovis-Anzick 1 at 1cM, but not Kennewick. She does, however, share a lot of segments between Clovis-Anzick and some of the non-Amerindian (Swedish, Hungarian, Siberian) samples. Doing a two-to-many with her and Clovis-Anzick generates a small list of people who all have varying degrees of Amerindian ancestry.

If she does have distant Amerindian admix, my mind is well and truly blown. Where would it have come from? The Sami I can understand as there was a lot of mixed Viking/Sami people, but I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest that Vikings took brides from their North American settlement.
    I am 1/3 Irish so this is of interest to me. I don't score much Amerindian, but I do pull off a North Asian/Siberian pull. Here is K13 on my combined kit:

North_Atlantic 51.23 Pct
    Baltic 23.45 Pct
    West_Med 14.76 Pct
    West_Asian 7.51 Pct
    East_Med -
    Red_Sea -
    South_Asian 0.56 Pct
    East_Asian -
    Siberian 1.88 Pct
    Amerindian 0.39 Pct
    Oceanian 0.14 Pct
    Northeast_African -
    Sub-Saharan 0.07 Pct

Here are my G25 runs:

Distance: 1.7559% / 0.01755855
    Target: lana_scaled
    59.1 Icelandic
    19.6 Norwegian
    7.4 Irish
    5.3 Basque_French
    3.6 Spanish_Asturias
    1.9 Spanish_Soria
    1.6 Cossack_Kuban
    0.5 Sakha
    0.4 French_Pas-de-Calais
    0.4 Papuan
    0.2 Bolivian_Cochabamba

Distance: 1.1046% / 0.01104596
    Target: lana
    47.6 Icelandic
    17.6 Irish
    17.3 Norwegian
    7.1 French_Pas-de-Calais
    3.6 Spanish_Asturias
    3.2 Japanese
    1.8 Sakha
    1.0 Berber_Tunisia_Chen
    0.6 Papuan
    0.2 Mari

*Melanesians have Asian and Melanesian admixture so I've marked in italics.

I think it is extremely unlikely that I have a recent Native American ancestor. Some of my family were from London, which some Native Americans visited. But from what I've read, only a few Native Americans reached London and probably even fewer stayed or had descendants in Britain.

I tried searching for a connection between Ireland and Greenland. If there was a connection, I don't think it's been discovered or researched much. It could be a connection through Vikings but that seems like a stretch. I didn't think the Vikings had that much of an impact on Irish genetics.

Given that I match some people in Norway and Finland fairly well, it could well be some connection with somewhere in or near Norway or Finland. But is it a distant connection to Sami? I don't know. Is it a different Siberian influence?

Or is it DNA that shares an ancient common connection with Siberia through the Yamnaya culture? I don't know why Irish people would have more Yamnaya DNA... but maybe they do?
    Last edited by lana6765; 12-31-2020 at 04:52 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lana6765 For This Useful Post:

Absinthia (12-31-2020),  Aroon1916 (12-31-2020),  JerryS. (02-08-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

England Ireland Connacht East Anglia England North of England United Kingdom Ireland
    I haven't got any alleles associated with Native American ancestry. (Edit: see below)

I do have alleles associated with African ancestry:

One copy of three different alleles

Two copies of one allele

And one allele associated with East Asian ancestry:
    One copy
    Last edited by Kristiina; 01-08-2021 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Requested by lana6765

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English and Irish
    Nationality
    British

Just uploaded my 2nd kit to check as there were a lot of no calls.

I have 2 copies of one allele associated with Native American ancestry.
    Last edited by Kristiina; 01-08-2021 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Requested by lana6765

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lana6765 For This Useful Post:

Aroon1916 (12-31-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT248579
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

United States of America Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by lana6765 View Post
    Just uploaded my 2nd kit to check as there were a lot of no calls.

I have 2 copies of this allele associated with Native American ancestry
    Maybe I am being obtuse, but how can someone take an allele that occurs about one out of four times from chance and say that it is connected to a particular ancestry?
    Last edited by Kristiina; 01-08-2021 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Requested by lana6765

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Brazil Azores Italy Ladinia
    Being very honest, I don't think these supposedly ''deep'' calculators tell a lot. If you are Irish, tested with 23andme and got 0% Amerindian then it's very very likely that you are 0% Amerindian.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Caius Agrippa For This Useful Post:

JerryS. (02-08-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    mtDNA (M)
    X2B5

Interesting!

Here is my K13 admixture

sorted):

# Population Percent
    1 North_Atlantic 48.76
    2 Baltic 28.95
    3 West_Med 9.58
    4 West_Asian 5.05
    5 Red_Sea 2.23
    6 Siberian 1.51
    7 Amerindian 1.38
    8 South_Asian 0.76
    9 East_Asian 0.72
    10 Oceanian 0.67
    11 Northeast_African 0.38

And for the starter of this treads mother, I also have a lot in common with Clovis Anzick-1 and not the Kennewick man. I dont have any particulary mach with Saami dna anywhere, even if half of my grandparents, comes from ther northern part of Norway and most people has a little part of saami admixture in their family.

My closest ( and only) Saami match is Swedish Saami, this is probably because my mothers side of the family, comes from an area with lots of South saami, that used to live on both side of the swedish/ Norwegian border. I think one of my x great grandfathers that lived in the early 1800 could have been from a saami family. But the one calculator that tells me something at all about this, shows about 9.29 in genetic distance. -Which is pretty far, if you are thinking that there is a lot Saami people around.

Edit: My point, is that I think this shared matches with native americans is a coincidence, but it is interesting. ��
    Last edited by Absinthia; 01-01-2021 at 02:20 AM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast