Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No longer able to search shared matches.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    American/Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    RL21-DF23>ZP149
    mtDNA (M)
    T2g1

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland Canada Quebec

No longer able to search shared matches.

Ancestry has done an update today and shared matches can no longer be search. Also, matches' ancestors locations can no longer be searched. Two of my best tools have been taken away and I am less than pleased. Why take such a horrible step backward?
    Y-DNA R-DF23>ZP149>ZP171 MDKA Thomas Doherty, b. 1825, Three Trees, Donegal, Ireland.
    mtDNA T2g1 MDKA Francoise Arguin, b. 1698, Camaret-Sur-Mer, Bretagne, France

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacEochaidh For This Useful Post:

pmokeefe (05-05-2019),  rms2 (05-01-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    I don't know what you mean exactly. I guess I never used those tools.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    American/Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    RL21-DF23>ZP149
    mtDNA (M)
    T2g1

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore1937 View Post
    I don't know what you mean exactly. I guess I never used those tools.
    It's one of the most used tools on Ancestry and I used it everyday. To explain: I find that I match a man named John Smith. I click on "Shared Matches" on John Smith's page and see that we have 100 matches in common. I recognize some of the matches, but many I don't recognize. I think there's a possibility that John Smith matches up with my Jones family so, (AND THIS IS IT!!) I click the "search" button on our shared matches and enter "Jones" to see how many of our shared matches have Jones in their tree. I might also wonder if any of my shared matches with John Smith have ancestry that comes from County Derry, so I enter that location in "search" for our shared matches and up pops any shared matches with County Derry in their tree. NOW THE REALLY BIG PART!!! There is no longer a search box for shared matches. Up until yesterday, April 26, 2019, there was a search box for shared matches. It is now gone.

I contacted AncestryDNA and they believe it is a glich and have created an error report. At least they didn't show a report that this most valuable tool had purposely been removed. If this tool does not return I would have to search each of the 100 matches I share with John Smith to see which names and locations we share, so the task would go from a few seconds of time to a few hours of time.
    Y-DNA R-DF23>ZP149>ZP171 MDKA Thomas Doherty, b. 1825, Three Trees, Donegal, Ireland.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MacEochaidh For This Useful Post:

Judith (05-05-2019),  pmokeefe (05-05-2019),  rms2 (05-01-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

United Kingdom Netherlands Mauritius Madagascar India China Qing Dynasty
    It looks like Ancestry has a lot of buggy stuff going on today. I can't view any user profiles, click on them and get error messages.
    Ethnogene: 51.4% NW European, 21.6% W European, 10.1% Southeastern African, 9.5% Southeast Asian, 4.4% South Asian, 2% Scandinavian, 1% East African
    Papertrail: 75% NW European, 25% Mauritian Creole

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JFWinstone For This Useful Post:

MacEochaidh (04-27-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

There seems to be a "Groups" feature which does the first part of what you describe, you can add people you recognize from some context into specific groups and have them color-coded on the matches page, or show the grouped people only. I don't see a way to search by ethnicity directly, but for people of interest, you could specifically place them into groups by primary ethnicity (Otherwise it's tricky anyway for people who have large number of different ethnicities which don't match the country they're living in).

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    I don't think they've taken shared matches away. I still have it. It looks to me like they are trying to introduce a new tool/format and might be buggy as a result.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Saetro (04-28-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    American/Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    RL21-DF23>ZP149
    mtDNA (M)
    T2g1

Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    I don't think they've taken shared matches away. I still have it. It looks to me like they are trying to introduce a new tool/format and might be buggy as a result.
    I know they have not taken "Shared Matches" away. What I am saying is that there is no longer a "Search Box" for Shared Matches.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC6545-Y160102
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2*
    mtDNA (P)
    H27e

Ireland
    I never really noticed the search shared matches function. Maybe it's because my matches don't generally have that many shared matches so I didn't really need it. It's quick enough for me to go through the matches and at this stage I have the 4th-6th cousin or closer matches all marked with a note or star if I know the connection.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Y-DNA (M) ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
    mtDNA (P) ancestor: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA (M) ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    Paternal great grandfather (mt): Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    American/Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    RL21-DF23>ZP149
    mtDNA (M)
    T2g1

Quote Originally Posted by FionnSneachta View Post
    I never really noticed the search shared matches function. Maybe it's because my matches don't generally have that many shared matches so I didn't really need it. It's quick enough for me to go through the matches and at this stage I have the 4th-6th cousin or closer matches all marked with a note or star if I know the connection.
    I often have many shared matches and it would take a very long time to search each shared match for surnames and locations. What I could do in seconds will now take an hour. I used to be able to get the Shared Matches and quickly enter a surname to see which of those shared matches also shared that surname. This allowed me to see exactly witch line of that branch this match was on. If I couldn't find a surname in common among these shared matches I could check for common locations. I used it every time I was on the site. Terrible shame.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MacEochaidh For This Useful Post:

pmokeefe (05-05-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEochaidh View Post
    I know they have not taken "Shared Matches" away. What I am saying is that there is no longer a "Search Box" for Shared Matches.
    I guess I wasn't aware of that tool, and I'm not quite sure what you are talking about.

What I do with my closer matches is put them in a bucket based on the relevant grandparents or g-grandparents (or sometimes gg grandparents) and shared matches is helpful in doing that. So I check shared matches for matches regularly, and may work on people if they seem to be connected through an ancestor I'm currently working on.

It does seem like Ancestry is adding a tool (or featuring it) where you can put two matches together and search for shared matches -- that's what I saw when the format seemed different. If that was a preexisting tool, I never saw it.

What does the search box for shared matches do that simply clicking "shared matches" does not do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast