Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No longer able to search shared matches.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    American/Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    RL21-DF23>ZP149
    mtDNA (M)
    T2g1

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland Canada Quebec
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post

What does the search box for shared matches do that simply clicking "shared matches" does not do?

"Shared Matches" gives me a list Names for the matches I share with an individual match. The "Search Box" that used to be at the top of this list allowed me to search this list of Shared Matches for surnames and locations all at one time. This was very important to me. My father was adopted/fostered in Ireland, and I suspect that there was a relationship between my father's biological mother (McKee) and his adoptive mother (Quinn). So, when I find a new McKee match, I immediately get our list of Shared Matches. I would then go to the Search Box on this Shared Matches page and enter "Quinn" to see if any of our Shared Matches had the surname Quinn. After that, I would enter a search for Belfast, then Derry, to see if any of these shared matches show a genetic footprint that matches with my known Quinn adoptive grandmother.

Now I would have to search each individual shared match to see if they contain Quinn or Belfast or Derry. That also is no longer possible, because the trees no longer have a "Location Box" to search.
    Y-DNA R-DF23>ZP149>ZP171 MDKA Thomas Doherty, b. 1825, Three Trees, Donegal, Ireland.
    mtDNA T2g1 MDKA Francoise Arguin, b. 1698, Camaret-Sur-Mer, Bretagne, France

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacEochaidh For This Useful Post:

pmokeefe (05-05-2019),  rms2 (05-01-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    American/Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    RL21-DF23>ZP149
    mtDNA (M)
    T2g1

The "Search Box" is back for Shared Matches, but it is inoperable. Anyway, a step in the right direction!
    Y-DNA R-DF23>ZP149>ZP171 MDKA Thomas Doherty, b. 1825, Three Trees, Donegal, Ireland.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacEochaidh For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (05-07-2019),  pmokeefe (05-05-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    Brother I2-M26 I2a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a1a1a

Thanks for starting this thread because I had not seen those tools before and now they are back and working. As a Brit I have much fewer shared matches than an American but on my largest shared match group I put in the known location of our shared ancestors in the search. That took a group of ~30 down to only 4. It is sad that so few people fill in their trees.
    I happen to know how I relate to many of them, but just 4 people in a tree will not help others.

Correction: I cannot search WITHIN a group, it jumps out of the group to a simple search of all matches. In shared matches the search does work however.

Ancestry is certainly buggy on these updates!
    Last edited by Judith; 05-05-2019 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Correction
    Image “Westray wifie” replica of Neolithic figurine Hidden Content
    Out of 64 pre 1800 births 45% Cheshire, 1% Irish (or Scottish), 25% south Derbyshire, 13% Burton on Trent area (where 4 counties within 10 miles), 7% Shropshire, 1% Staffs, 8% Lancs. So far all British Isles despite what some testing companies say.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Judith For This Useful Post:

JMcB (05-05-2019),  JonikW (05-05-2019),  MacEochaidh (05-06-2019),  msmarjoribanks (05-07-2019),  pmokeefe (05-05-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    American/Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    RL21-DF23>ZP149
    mtDNA (M)
    T2g1

My Search Boxes are back but not working for the basic Search of All Matches, Shared Matches, or Group matches. Plus, I no longer can view Public Trees without a page popping up telling me the price range for monthly and six month subscription. Soon, I hope, this will all be resolved. Then I can go back to recommending AncestryDNA.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MacEochaidh For This Useful Post:

pmokeefe (05-06-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore1937 View Post
    I don't know what you mean exactly. I guess I never used those tools.
    How stupid of me. Of course I use "shared matches". I just didn't picture what you meant by that. Well, I don't recall having a problem with Ancestry about that. My main complaint is that so few matches show a worthwhile tree for themselves.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y20359
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c9a

I noticed the absence of the shared matches box right away and commented upon this when I switched to their new format. With my primary interest being my deceased father's matches but only having my mother to have been tested, it is an easy format to rule out matches for my father's side, especially matches with a large cM. I am glad to read that it is returning.
    Last edited by leonardo; 05-07-2019 at 11:47 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to leonardo For This Useful Post:

MacEochaidh (05-09-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y20359
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c9a

The new version, if I am using it correctly, takes some time to get use to. It has more options, but that makes it a little more complicated to get right to seeing if a match of mine is shared by my mother. I guess practice makes perfect.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to leonardo For This Useful Post:

MacEochaidh (05-09-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12