Ethnicity
    NW European
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b4a
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L196

United States of America England Ireland German Confederation Prussia Rheinland Germany Palatinate
    Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

23andMe changed for me showing the sub-regions now instead of just saying Germany. Still since it's all crowd sourced info who knows.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to aafusc2988 For This Useful Post:

JonikW (05-05-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63

They changed my display to show the sub-sub regions too, which I don't like.

However, I think the older breakdown into sub-regions was not crowd-sourced. For example, under UK/Ireland I get "highly likely" for UK, and only "possible" for Ireland. Under French and German I get "likely" for Germany, and not detected for everything else. Under Scandinavian I get "possible" for Sweden and not detected for everything else.

I think those sub regions (or the absence) reflect the actual DNA analysis, not the crowd sourcing/matches.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

JonikW (05-07-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    V3c

Italy Canada Quebec England Scotland
    Not sure if anyone's already seen this, but I found this on the Ancestry.com Blog this morning, it was posted 5/2.

"We’re always looking for new ways to help support our customers on their journeys of personal discovery. Often that means updating our products and services to take advantage of the most advanced science and technology.

Last fall, we introduced the capability to provide more precise ethnicity estimates to our customers using an algorithm that analyzes longer segments of genetic information. For some of our existing customers, this has meant that previous ethnicity estimates have evolved as a result of this new technology.

We recognize that an individual’s personal sense of identity is very important and that any journey of personal discovery may take turns that are surprising or unexpected. However, it is important to keep in mind that your DNA doesn’t change, but the science and technology behind understanding it constantly evolves and we endeavor to ensure that this cutting-edge science is reflected in our offerings.

All AncestryDNAź customers who have not already transitioned to their new, more precise ethnicity estimate will be transitioned starting May 30, 2019. If you received your AncestryDNAź results prior to September 2018 and wish to keep a record of your prior results, you may download them by July 20, 2019."

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to euromutt For This Useful Post:

Don Felipe (05-17-2019),  fostert (05-09-2019),  JMcB (05-07-2019),  Mike_G (05-07-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    They changed my display to show the sub-sub regions too, which I don't like.

However, I think the older breakdown into sub-regions was not crowd-sourced. For example, under UK/Ireland I get "highly likely" for UK, and only "possible" for Ireland. Under French and German I get "likely" for Germany, and not detected for everything else. Under Scandinavian I get "possible" for Sweden and not detected for everything else.

I think those sub regions (or the absence) reflect the actual DNA analysis, not the crowd sourcing/matches.
    I'm confused? They changed what?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Euromutt
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    H1n-T146C!
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Z92>YP682>Y60295

United States of America Lithuania England Netherlands Ireland Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by aafusc2988 View Post
    I bet more colonial Americans with German is harder for them to detect. Midwesterners for instance are pretty highly Germanic if they come from that background and it usually shows in their results. Also, are they still overestimating Scandinavian? My Scandinavian dropped in the 23andMe South Asian beta to just below 5% and I have 5% Sweden and 3% Norway on Ancestry. So yeah pretty close, but I don't see how they can distinguish me as being Swedish and Norwegian on Ancestry. I think it's bs and believe 23andMe results to more accurate just because they don't try to pinpoint as much crap if they truly don't know.
    As frustrating as 23andme's Broadly NW European category can be, I appreciate that the company admits what its test can't discern. On the other hand, my Broadly NW European category has dropped from ~23% on my initial results in May, 2016 to 7% after phasing and a few 23andme ethnicity updates.

I wonder if more recent "pure" DNA is easier to identify. One of my great grandmothers was 100% Irish, and Irish jumps out prominently on both 23andme and Ancestry, yet my other three maternal great grandparents were a 50/50 mix of English and Dutch or English and German, and they're not well represented in any of my results.
    The more I learn about this DNA stuff the less I know.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63

Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    I'm confused? They changed what?
    The display. It looks like they now have the formerly beta subregions under the broader categories (this is 23andMe).
    Last edited by msmarjoribanks; 05-07-2019 at 05:00 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Nqp15hhu (05-07-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    English
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a3a1
    Y-DNA (P)
    Possibly R1b

England North of England Ireland Scotland Germany Romani Star of David
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    I wonder if more recent "pure" DNA is easier to identify. One of my great grandmothers was 100% Irish, and Irish jumps out prominently on both 23andme and Ancestry, yet my other three maternal great grandparents were a 50/50 mix of English and Dutch or English and German, and they're not well represented in any of my results.
    I get a lot of matches with full-blooded Irish, and they generally score around 95-98% British/Irish with the rest being Broadly NW Euro. Fully English people score far more Broadly NW Euro and often French/German, especially if they're from the east of the country.

I'm therefore led to believe that 23andme's British/Irish category is heavily skewed towards Irish and other Celtic peoples. An English/Dutch mix would probably be highly Broadly NW Euro, in which case further investigation would be required to ascertain which bits of the Broadly NW Euro are English and which ones are Dutch.
    Ethnogene (most accurate so far IMO): Frisian 2.8%, Scottish 19.2%, Welsh 2.4%, English 29.0%, Irish 31.7%, Cornish 1.9%, Irish Traveller 4.0%, French 2.6%, Dutch 1.0%, German 1.8%, Western Indian 1.1%, Central/Southern Ashkenazi 1.0%, Norwegian 1.5%

"In. Year. Out. See ya."- Chris Wilder

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mildlycurly For This Useful Post:

JonikW (05-07-2019),  Mike_G (05-08-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

I don't recall opting to the new ethnicity analysis, but I seem to have indeed been forced into it with a link to download a PDF of the old version for some weeks. Making these huge spreads is so annoying and time-consuming...
    Ancestry23andMe.png
    I panned the AncestryDNA ethnicity update earlier. Without knowing your whole, exact family tree to fairly deep level, and exact propotions you inherited from each one it's really hard (Read: impossible) to say which one is "correct". However, in my case I know three of my grandparents came from Finland (Including Swedish roots) which should be very easy for DNA tests to pick up, and one from Saxony.
    Against that background, AncestryDNA's old analysis seemed to miss some of my Finnish/Scandinavian heritage, and the new analysis grossly over-estimated it. However, I finally clicked on the arrows on AncestryDNA and found out that AncestryDNA's Finland includes Russia... Well, that might be close. Also, AncestryDNA is playing it safe with the error-ranges, most of them including 0% (I wonder if these come from actual mathematical bounds or if that includes some cultural allowance). Still, the new analysis seems lot more generic and less specific, too.
    23andMe ran an once-off offer to get Ancestry Composition off AncestryDNA sample, and the results from that analysis are interesting to say the least, especially in the way the scandinavian/germanic percentages are trading places between that and V3 (Illumina OmniExpress FTDNA-like). I need to really take the time to place those 23andMe ancestry segments on top of each other and see how their assignment changes between my different kits & my parents. The way the region assignments change between the kits doesn't fill me with great confidence in them, although Northern Ostrobothnia, Norbotten Country, Saxony-Anhalt and Republic of Karelia at least seem to match known genealogy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Donwulff For This Useful Post:

JonikW (05-07-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Russian Federation Star of David Belarus Lithuania Kazakhstan Ukraine
    Anybody get the update yet? It’s May 12th and I still haven’t seen anything change since the original update.
    Final Ancestry Paper Trail Tally:
    1/4 Russian, 1/8 Ashkenazi, 1/8 Belarusian, 1/8 Lithuanian, 1/8 Ukrainian, 1/8 Italian, 1/16 Kazakh, ~ 1/16 Black, 1/128 Uzbek

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC6545-Y160102

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by czl View Post
    Anybody get the update yet? It’s May 12th and I still haven’t seen anything change since the original update.
    I think there is a consensus that the update was just for people who hadn't opted into the updated results. Users are being forced to accept the new results for comparability purposes. Hence why they're allowing people to download their old results until July.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
    Father's mtDNA: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon (H27e/H-c1d*)
    Maternal ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon (H6a1b2/H6-a5a2a2)
    Paternal great grandfather (mt): Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast