Thread: New surname leads for L193?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

New surname leads for L193?

Hi Guys,

I've made some new discoveries in my research that may (?) be of interest to the L513 group. Briefly, my MDKA is a Sharp in South Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1742. Before that, we lose them. According to family lore, the family were originally from Perthshire, where the Sharp surname is most common, but as yet I have not been able to find a certain link.

Recently however I came across a whole bunch of Sharps living in the Monzie/Strowan area, around Strathearn, Perthshire. This is where the infamous Clan MacGregor were based, whose name was banned for a century. They all took other names. I've found many marriages between MacGregors and Sharps, and, most interesting: I have discovered many Sharps who are in the records as being 'Sharp, alias Douglas'. Douglas is also a clan name used by MacGregors as an alias in the 18th century, but is a name which, as I recall, seems to link a lot of our L193 folks. The first Sharp on record in Scotland is down in Peebles by the borders, a tenant of the Earl of Douglas, in 1376. But my recent discovery is the first concrete evidence I have of Sharps being allied to the surname Douglas.

Z17817, my subgroup of L193, appears to have a strong pull to central Scotland, with names like Drummond, Campbell, Meek (my closest match), etc. I do match other Ayrshire names, but more distantly, and mostly under STR matches.

Anyway, I wanted to share this - and would be happy to hear any thoughts you may have.

Best,

Jon Sharp

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

JonikW (05-03-2019),  Mag Uidhir 6 (05-12-2019),  Nqp15hhu (05-04-2019)