Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone with the bad MTHFR (mother*ucker) gene?

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    mtDNA (M)
    H67
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878

United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland
    My last blood test done because I am on a depot antipsychotic showed my level of folic acid was low. If that was inconsequential I wonder why it was emphasised when the blood test results were given.
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Administrator
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    V-c5
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27

New Zealand Croatia Bosnia and Herzegovina Poland England Ireland
    My mother was actually asking me about this today, as she has quite a few health problems and was doing some research. She asked me if I could have a look at her data. I went through Promethease for a few family members. I take it all with a grain of salt but it was interesting to look into regardless.

Me

rs1801131(A;C) - Possibly impaired folate metabolism.
    rs1801133(C;T) - 1 copy of C677T allele of MTHFR = 65% efficiency in processing folic acid.

Sister

rs1801131(C;A)
    rs1801133(T;G)

Mother

rs1801131(A;A)
    rs1801133(T;T) - Homozygous for C677T of MTHFR = 10-20% efficiency in processing folic acid = high homocysteine, low B12 and folate levels

Maternal grandfather

rs1801131(A;A)
    rs1801133(T;G)

Maternal grandmother

rs1801131(A;A)

Father

rs1801131(C;A)
    rs1801133(T;G)
    Known ancestry - English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Bosnian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Geato-Saxon
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c5
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-L22 -> P109

Sweden Germany Imperial Scotland Northern Ireland Normandie
    >MTHFR 677TT (rs1801133) or AA may reduce MTHFR function by up to 70% maximum (bad)

>MTHFR AA1298 (rs1801131) or TT is normal
    The above is my genotype.
    After learning this, I got tested for folate, B12, and homocysteine. The first two were normal but homocysteine is elevated. Currently taking B6 and magnesium to hopefully get it lower.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Horner
    mtDNA (M)
    L3h2
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32

Canada Djibouti Ethiopia Somaliland Somalia
    I have one copy of the A1298C.

Sex

Angriff, I urge caution when interpreting your B12 blood test. My wife and I have found that it may not reflect how much B12 is being absorbed. When my wife developed tingling in her thumb her physician ordered B12 blood test that showed 1350 pg/ml, range 211 to 945. She was taking 500 mg of methyl B12. From this her physician concluded her tingling was not caused by a B12 deficiency but was most likely caused by a pinched nerve in her neck. I didn’t agree because her mother had had a similar problem that was treated with B12. When she increased her B12 dose to 1000 mg the tingling stopped. That clearly showing she was B12 deficient. Her new B12 blood test showed 1941 pg/ml.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rgd For This Useful Post:

Angriff (05-26-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC6545-Y160102

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by cercle View Post
    Effects of these allegedly "bad" very common variants on MTHFR gene have been debunked here and there. Too lazy to search for it. Even 23andme don't want to show MTHFR in their health report, they made an official article explaining why.

https://blog.23andme.com/health-trai...he-mthfr-gene/

Even if hundreds of serious studies exist about these variants, you can read that everytime the odds ratio for all the disease associated with them are small like 1. something. Everytime. Very very very small effects. Unlikely to be responsible of the symptoms/disease
    Promethease notes this as well and provides a link to that to the 23andme blog which is good rather than sending people into a panic. I don't take the health reports too seriously but I did find it interesting. I wouldn't spend lots of money on it though. I really only took notice of things that I already knew or that seem positive or neutral. For example, I have a gene for increased risk of myopia which I do have and four genes for stronger bones when this has been noted by my mum since I was a baby when I'd always surprise people by how heavy I was even though I was a normal sized baby. I'm still the same way today. If I tell someone my weight, they don't believe me and say that my scales must be broken. I don't think about the genes that increase the risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, mental illness, a neurological disorder, etc. If I see a gene for something negative, I just assume that I might have another gene to counteract that effect. I also consider it possible that it was a miscall. A mutation with the highest risk that I have in the Promethease report is at magnitude 6.3 but the first thing said about it is that it is likely a miscall in Ancestry data. I'm not too concerned because even if the calls are correct, there isn't anything that I can do about it. I suppose one that I can change behaviour for is that I can't maintain weight loss unless I perform high energy exercise according to a gene so I can't get lazy! A lot of genes are for increased risk anyway so they don't mean that you will get it.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
    Father's mtDNA: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon (H27e/H-c1d*)
    Maternal ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon (H6a1b2/H6-a5a2a2)
    Paternal great grandfather (mt): Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

cercle (05-23-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12