Thread: Would noise still appear at the same spot if I do a 2nd test with another company ?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA
    R-L1029
    mtDNA
    J1C1

France Poland Portugal Armenia

Would noise still appear at the same spot if I do a 2nd test with another company ?

Everything in the title. I have done at test with 23andme and I have 0.2% east asian it appear on my 7th chromosome and now I received my ancestrydna and it appear also on the 7th chromosome.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-A14097

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland France Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by Luarev View Post
    Everything in the title. I have done at test with 23andme and I have 0.2% east asian it appear on my 7th chromosome and now I received my ancestrydna and it appear also on the 7th chromosome.
    Good question, it could be noise that just coincidentally was picked up via both companies, however maybe you could run your data through GEDmatch and see if any of those calculators pick it up?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA
    R-L1029
    mtDNA
    J1C1

Yeah they pick it up in the chromosome painter here are my kits on genesis gedmatch =) M526312 (23andme), RL6197724 (Ancestry).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Khatri/J&K/Multan
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA
    J2b2a
    mtDNA
    U2b

India United States of America India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir
    Highly unlikely that the same mistake gets made twice. Why is such a small amount a surprise? Many Western Europeans have minor amounts of East Asian ancestry.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to agent_lime For This Useful Post:

jetshop (05-29-2019)

Registered Users

United States of America Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by agent_lime View Post
    Highly unlikely that the same mistake gets made twice. Why is such a small amount a surprise? Many Western Europeans have minor amounts of East Asian ancestry.
    Agreed. It seems like some people are far too quick to throw out such small percentages as "noise," particularly if it comes from outside the area the rest of their report says they have ancestry in. There are a dozen ways to concoct a plausible story to explain results like that, and realistically nobody actually knows for sure what was going on with their ancestors hundreds of years ago. Maybe somebody had an affair with a foreign merchant and lied about it, somebody was a victim of rape when a foreign army marched through their area, a kid was adopted and nobody actually knew who the parents were, somebody lied about their heritage due to fear of persecution, etc...

I looked at OP's chromosome painting with Eurogenes and the calculator does seem very confident that he has "East Asian" on Chr 7, judging by the height of the colored bars for that category. (It's not like sections where the column is 50% Eastern European and 50% Siberian or something, it's basically East Asian at 100% column height.)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jetshop For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (05-29-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly British Isles

United Kingdom Ireland France Scotland Wales
    Both the French and Portuguese had colonies in South Asia, South East Asia and Polynesia so it is not so unlikely you had a distant ancestor who took a wife from that area.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA
    R-L1029
    mtDNA
    J1C1

Apparently I got this east asian from my father and more precisely his polish part but my family was from western poland so asian seems really far away from Poznan area. Thats why it seem so weird to have asian but it could maybe be some mongol invasion :O here is my father kit : TN9946827 done through 23andme if it can help.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Apparently I got this east asian from my father and more precisely his polish part but my family was from western poland so asian seems really far away from Poznan area. Thats why it seem so weird to have asian but it could maybe be some mongol invasion :O here is my father kit : TN9946827 done through 23andme if it can help.
    I have one grandparent effectively from around Poznan.
    AncestryDNA puts her ethnicity smeared all across northern Eurasia, from Berlin to Lake Baikal.
    A very long time ago, Slavs did come from further east.
    But I don't expect to find vital records going back that far, so that is not very helpful.