Thread: Helix.com DNA raw data transfer option??

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    1/2 Ilocano 1/2 Tagalog
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    C-M130
    mtDNA
    B4a1a

Philippines

Helix.com DNA raw data transfer option??

Does anyone here know if that one DNA company "Helix" does ethnicity estimates for data uploaders? ...Cos I was actually able to transfer my AncestryDNA raw data onto that site last week ago or so..and it says on the site that I may be entitled to a 'free' ethnicity estimate, but when I clicked onto that link it was asking for $80 payment for a kit, but there was also a little note that said since I already uploaded my raw data from AncestryDNA that I won't have to get a kit??

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shazou For This Useful Post:

timberwolf (05-30-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA
    Z372
    mtDNA
    J2b1a-T16311C!

Cornwall New Zealand
    Quote Originally Posted by shazou View Post
    Does anyone here know if that one DNA company "Helix" does ethnicity estimates for data uploaders? ...Cos I was actually able to transfer my AncestryDNA raw data onto that site last week ago or so..and it says on the site that I may be entitled to a 'free' ethnicity estimate, but when I clicked onto that link it was asking for $80 payment for a kit, but there was also a little note that said since I already uploaded my raw data from AncestryDNA that I won't have to get a kit??
    You should contact them to find out.

Registered Users
    Sex

Helix's thing has always been NOT allowing DNA data import, it says so on every analysis and I can't find any mention of AncestryDNA import. Also they don't have "Ethnicity Estimates", and none of their biogeographical analysis cost $80? I have a feeling this is some kind of mis-understanding.

Regardless, Helix is one of those DNA analysis market-places, you "sequence" once and then buy analysis for that DNA data. If you somehow got a DNA profile in there, then you're expected to pay for the analysis but not for the kit... which seems to be what you're describing.

https://www.helix.com/collections/ancestry shows "Regional Ancestry" is $59.99 but the analysis part is only $19.99 if you already have a kit in there.

Aside, Helix has just announced that they're moving from personal genomics to "population health". Does that mean they're now selling access to customer DNA data to health companies? I don't have time to find out, of course they'd have to have the consent somewhere, perhaps the "research consent" they're asking?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Donwulff For This Useful Post:

timberwolf (05-30-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Irish/English
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA
    Possibly R1b
    mtDNA
    H1a3a1

England North of England Ireland Scotland Wales Romani Star of David
    I asked a similar question on the 23andme forums and was told no, they don't allow raw data uploads. I don't know how you managed to get your Ancestry data uploaded then.

As to the question, I don't know.
    Ethnogene (most accurate so far IMO): Frisian 2.8%, Scottish 19.2%, Welsh 2.4%, English 29.0%, Irish 31.7%, Cornish 1.9%, Irish Traveller 4.0%, French 2.6%, Dutch 1.0%, German 1.8%, Western Indian 1.1%, Central/Southern Ashkenazi 1.0%, Norwegian 1.5%

"In. Year. Out. See ya."- Chris Wilder

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Irish/English
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA
    Possibly R1b
    mtDNA
    H1a3a1

England North of England Ireland Scotland Wales Romani Star of David
    Double post, sorry.
    Ethnogene (most accurate so far IMO): Frisian 2.8%, Scottish 19.2%, Welsh 2.4%, English 29.0%, Irish 31.7%, Cornish 1.9%, Irish Traveller 4.0%, French 2.6%, Dutch 1.0%, German 1.8%, Western Indian 1.1%, Central/Southern Ashkenazi 1.0%, Norwegian 1.5%

"In. Year. Out. See ya."- Chris Wilder

Registered Users
    Sex

23andMe had "one day only" AncestryDNA raw data upload, without DNA relatives matching. Just ancestry analysis and few health analysis tasters to get people buy the full kit.

Helix is what they call "Exome plus", ie. sequencing that supposedly tests far more than the microarray kits used by 23andMe/AncestryDNA/FTDNA etc. It should be technically impossible for them to get same data from uploaded data, but yeah... "impossible" has suffered a bit from inflation. It would be possible to impute (ie. educated guess) missing variants from a microarray test, likewise perhaps some of the analysis Helix offers have a version that only requires SNP's off microarray test.

But I'm not familiar with any such offer or thing. Plus as has been noted, there's been some changes, National Genographic said their DNA project "ended" and they're no longer selling the kit, and apparently due to losing their primary use-case, Helix has announced "strategic shift" from personal genomics to "population genomics" which means they're apparently no longer even marketing the test to individuals (although it seems to be available for the time being).