Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many people are in your Genetic Communities?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European-Blend
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z59

Ireland Canada Quebec Germany Palatinate England Netherlands Scotland
    Scotland: 583, 678

Newfoundland English Settlers: 61, 836

Saint Lawrence River French Settlers: 787, 999

New England Settlers: 735, 021

New York Settlers: 976, 777
    AncestryDNA Genetic Communities
    Father: Canadian Maritimes Acadian, Newfoundland & Southeastern Labrador Settlers, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island Settlers, New England Settlers, New York Settlers, Southwestern Quebec French Settlers, Southwestern Quebec & New York & Vermont French Settlers
    Mother: Southern Ontario Settlers, New York Settlers, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island Settlers
    AncestryDNA: England, Wales & Northwestern Europe: 70%, Ireland and Scotland: 30%

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kujira692 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (06-07-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

United Kingdom Netherlands Mauritius Madagascar India China Qing Dynasty
    Ah nice one! I'll check the app then. Thanks
    3/4 European, 1/4 Mauritian Creole. Genealogy enthusiast and Wow nerd.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

United Kingdom Netherlands Mauritius Madagascar India China Qing Dynasty
    Very interesting... Zimbabwe match got Afro-Haitian and Mauritian match got The Carolinas, Maryland & Virginia African Americans
    3/4 European, 1/4 Mauritian Creole. Genealogy enthusiast and Wow nerd.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2f
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3440-Y160102

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by BackToTheForests View Post
    I only have Connacht for now, 409,298 (it updates in real time? pretty cool). I'm a part of North Connacht, North Mayo, North West Mayo, North East Mayo & North West Sligo, and South Mayo.

Apologies for off topic but has anyone had their communities change with updates? Has anyone ever had one added?
    My genetic communities were different before the update when more communities were added for Ireland. I still had Connacht (very likely 95%) but my sub-communities were North Connacht (Likely 60%) and Galway (Possible 20%). My dad's sister had these as well as East Mayo (I think that was the name).

North Connacht went further east than it does now. There were only 5 sub-communities for Connacht back then while there are 22 now. I've attached my aunt's and my own old communities.

2 genetic communities in Connacht.png
    Aunt Genetic Communities.png
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
    Father's mtDNA: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon (H27e/H-c1d*)
    Maternal ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon (H6a1b2/H6-a5a2a2)
    Paternal great grandfather (mt): Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (06-07-2019),  BackToTheForests (06-07-2019),  JMcB (06-07-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western Jewish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y6938

Question for a friend: does anyone of 1/2-Irish-American ancestry still not get any Irish genetic communities? We're working on a family mystery, and Ancestry's been of zero help (as opposed to YSEQ and Big Y, in their own way).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2f
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3440-Y160102

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by hartaisarlag View Post
    Question for a friend: does anyone of 1/2-Irish-American ancestry still not get any Irish genetic communities? We're working on a family mystery, and Ancestry's been of zero help (as opposed to YSEQ and Big Y, in their own way).
    The problem there is probably due to their Irish ancestry being mixed. Although the person is full Irish on one side, the ancestors could be a mix of people with origins from all over Ireland. My dad's first cousin is half Irish and half Polish (his father's side were born in Prussia before emigrating to the US). He gets Connacht as his genetic community. His full ethnicity estimate is 53% Ireland and Scotland, 33% Eastern Europe and Russia, and 14% Baltic States.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
    Father's mtDNA: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon (H27e/H-c1d*)
    Maternal ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon (H6a1b2/H6-a5a2a2)
    Paternal great grandfather (mt): Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (06-07-2019),  BackToTheForests (06-07-2019),  hartaisarlag (06-07-2019),  JMcB (06-07-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    Donegal: 169,335.
    Ulster: 314,148.
    Scotland: 583,678.

I can’t get the figures for the smaller communities.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (06-07-2019),  BackToTheForests (06-07-2019),  JMcB (06-07-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Loderingo View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.

I was particularly interested in the Irish and African American GCs as these were most recently created. It looks like Ancestry are happy to create sub-communities with as few as 20,000 people in them.

My hope has been for Great Britain to be able to get communities based on the traditional counties and this looks doable. For the US, they should be able to go to clusters of 4-5 counties.

It looks like the European settler to the US communities are top of the list for a revamp, followed by Great Britain and Eastern Europe.

One of the things I’ve noticed is that you used to be able to see everyone in your GCs and they seem to have taken that away (perhaps due to privacy concerns). They now only show 3 featured matches, which is not much use. I’ve also noticed that for some matches I can now only see their ethnicity for the regions we share and not everything.

They also take away the shared locations map, if you switch on the new beta. It seems like they are giving us more connections on a plate but are taking away some of the tools to try and figure out connections where they haven’t been able to do so.
    Will that be possible? English people move about a lot!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

BackToTheForests (06-08-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western Jewish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y6938

Quote Originally Posted by FionnSneachta View Post
    The problem there is probably due to their Irish ancestry being mixed. Although the person is full Irish on one side, the ancestors could be a mix of people with origins from all over Ireland. My dad's first cousin is half Irish and half Polish (his father's side were born in Prussia before emigrating to the US). He gets Connacht as his genetic community. His full ethnicity estimate is 53% Ireland and Scotland, 33% Eastern Europe and Russia, and 14% Baltic States.
    That makes sense. The line of interest is a direct paternal line; the Y-subclade + surname combination strongly suggests an origin in Clare or Limerick, but there's no eliminating the possibility that people with ultimate roots in that region ended up somewhere else in the centuries before coming to America. Been waiting for something like "Eastern Clare" to show up on Ancestry, but alas.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    Y-DNA (P)
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*

United States of America Scotland
    Scotland 583,678 AncestryDNA members, specific regions Central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland
    Ulster Ireland 314,167 AncestryDNA members, specific regions Fermanagh. This totals 85%
    England, Wales & Northwestern Europe. No community total.
    Primarily located in: England, Scotland, Wales. This totals 15%. Question, anybody know why Scotland is an included region here and not listed with Scotland above? Another question, if Ulster Ireland is subtracted from the Scotland total would the balance be Central Scotland or are there other unmentioned regions in the mix? I also have ancestors from Ireland not just Northern Ireland.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amerijoe For This Useful Post:

BackToTheForests (06-07-2019),  JMcB (06-08-2019)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast