Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why don't I have more genetic communities?

Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-P312
    mtDNA
    X2B

United Kingdom United States of America Scotland Norway Cornwall Wales

Why don't I have more genetic communities?

The only community I get is Pennsylvania settlers with a sub region of Central Pennsylvania, but my fathers side of the family is almost entirely composed of New England "wasps". A first cousin I match with on ancestry does have New England settlers as a community. My great grandmother who was born in 1898 (also on my fathers side) is from Dundee,Scotland, and my 2nd great grandfather is from Bordeaux,France (born around 1850). I just don't understand why I don't have more genetic communities?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L365
    mtDNA
    H1c3

Poland Pomerania Denmark France Sweden Russia Imperial Germany
    There are no genetic communities for France other than French Canadian and Cajun, I believe. Maybe some northeastern states. IMHO, France itself is too under sampled to provide a generic community anyways.

FWIW, I’ve got 6 recent lines and only have one broad genetic community (Czech, Slovakia, Poland and Lithuania), which miss-represents my Russian side since there are no Russian communities either.

Speaking from my personal wishes, I had hoped Ancestry would update this since 3 out of my 6 lines do not offer communities - Denmark (1884), Russia (1958), France (1958). I get nothing for Germany or Sweden, Poland is a toss up with my Russian.

We probably do not match whatever their references are.

Edit - I should have added I just checked my connection and it’s listed as “Possible” lol.
    My Russian grandfather gets Czech, Slovakia, Poland and Lithuania with Lithuania as a “Very Likely” connection. I have no way of confirming that, he has 6 close matches including myself. Frustrating.
    Last edited by boilermeschew827; 06-09-2019 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Paper trail:

25% Russian
    25% French
    25% German
    12.5% Polish
    6.25% Danish
    6.25% Swedish

K16: Estonian_Latvian_Lithuanian 2.5%, Finnish 5.83%, French_Belgian 4.17%, German_Czech_Austrian 49.17%, Irish_Scottish_Welsh 7.5%, Norwegian_Swedish 15%, Polish_Belorussian_Ukrainian 14.17%, Saami 1.67%

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC36981
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    My genetic communities make sense, I guess, even though my surname line didn't come south from eastern Ohio/western Pennsylvania until the mid-1840s, and another line on that side didn't come south from New England until around the same time. But they went native and married locals, which I guess explains the result below.

Ethnicity Estimate_Ancestry DNA_local stuff_8 June 2019.jpg

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-FGC36981 (L21> DF13> Z39589> CTS2501> Z43690> Y8426> BY160> FGC36974>FGC36982 >FGC36981)

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

There are a bunch of genetic communities I could hypothetically get, but don't -- too mixed, I suppose. The only ones I get are:

Ohio River Valley, Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa settlers (with the subgroup Western OH, IN, IL, and SE Iowa settlers) and Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Indiana settlers.

This is pretty accurate -- I have a bunch of ancestors who were in Ohio (various parts) before 1800 or just after, some others who went from NC and SC to IN in the very early 1800s (Quakers who had come south from New England and PA before then), and then a branch who went into southern IL in the very early 1800s (and then moved north to central IL). One of my Ulster Irish ancestors who came to America somewhat later seems to have originally settled in OH (around 1830 or so) and then gone to IA. Many of the other families who originally went to OH, IN, and IL also later went to IA. So the focus on these states is definitely the most significant commonality among my ancestors.

I wish my great-grandmother's parents who both came from the same part of Sweden were enough to get me a Swedish GC, but I'm not surprised they are not, and although my paternal grandmother has a large percentage of ancestors who were originally settlers in Massachusetts in the 1600s, they went south or west too early for me to expect to have a GC there (also they mostly became Quakers and intermarried with each other and later with Quaker PA settlers, which also makes it less likely).

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    Your family is mixed

Registered Users
    ancestry Irish, Scot, Eng (Devon,Somerset,Lancashire,Cheshire, Shrop,Essex)+ Crossen(Oder)-Gruenberg
    Ethnicity
    Celt? Vik? East-Ger Sorb?
    Nationality
    Y hu R1b/U106/S1688/Y9825
    Y-DNA
    f.R1a/L1029/YP263
    mtDNA
    K1a26,HV0-T195C

I don't think I have any genetic communities. My ancestors mostly arrived here 1850ish from now Poland, then Prussia and Ireland, some from England 1920s. OK, I found them in DNA Origins. None for the Polish and Baltic state area, but I have one for Munster, one for Leinster and one for Southern England. They are very large. Southern England is 684,601 AncestryDNA members as of today. Ancestry could just make this person (my Dad's) Essex area as all his English are from there? How do they work it out? Is it from Genetics or the trees?
    Last edited by Jan_Noack; 06-15-2019 at 02:48 AM.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Matches and then trees.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R-M167/SRY2627

Even though there are communities for Scotland, and I have a high percentage of Scottish, it's too mixed and/or they left Scotland too long ago to get any communities from. I did get a couple Canadian communities, as did my father. We got slightly different communities however, as I got quite a few Acadian matches from my mother's side which shifted my membership from my father's.

Mine:

mycommunities.jpg

My father:

fcommunities.JPG
    Last edited by linthos; 06-16-2019 at 11:44 PM.

Sex

I have no communities while my brother received 4, despite us having very similar results. Really hoping this year's update will fix that.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    United States
    Y-DNA
    R-P312
    mtDNA
    X2B

United Kingdom United States of America Scotland Norway Cornwall Wales
    Good news, I got a new community for Scotland! They must be updating genetic communities?
    Firefox_Screenshot_2019-06-19T20-53-59.164Z.png

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hatton1995 For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (06-19-2019),  linthos (06-19-2019),  Robert1 (06-20-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast