I thought this could be a thread dedicated to motion pictures from this special administrative region of China (and from the time when it was a British Dependent Territory).

One that I have watched is 龍虎風雲/Lung foo fung wan (City on Fire). I watched it mostly due to the fact that I have read that Quentin Tarantino was inspired to make his debut movie Reservoir Dogs thanks to this Hong Kong flick – and it shows! It was kind of slow in the beginning, but got better in the end; no wonder that Tarantino made a whole movie based on mostly the end of this flick!

Rating: 6/10

Another one that I watched 無間道/Mou gaan dou (Infernal Affairs). Like with 龍虎風雲/Lung foo fung wan (City on Fire), the end was a lot better than the rest of the movie. Another problem with this movie, was that one did not feel much for the characters. They were kind of starched. For example, one did get the impression that the female psychologist was thrown into the movie because they wanted to have a female character with whom Chan Wing-yan could have an intimate relation.

Rating: 5/10

A good prison flick from Hong Kong is 監獄風雲/Gam yuk fung wan (Prison on Fire). Like with the other Hong Kong movies, I thought that the beginning and the middle of the movie was okay at best, while the end was great! The turning point was the hunger strike. It seems like very good endings are very important in Asian movies.

Rating: 7/10

A funny kung fu movie with Jackie Chan is 醉拳/Jui kuen (Drunken Master). This one sticks out from the rest of the Hong Kong movies that I have watched, since it had an okay beginning, a good middle and an okay end. It tells the story of a young kung fu student named Wong Fei-hung (portrayed by Jackie Chan), who as a punishment for several displays of mischievous behaviour is sent away from his dojo – which is run by his father – to train with the drunken master Su Hua Chi for a year out in the forest.

Rating: 6/10

Have any of you seen some Hong Kong movies?