Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New Ethnicity Estimate Update Scheduled For Later This Year (2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    EV13>Z5018>S2972*
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Ireland Northern Ireland England Lithuania Germany United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    I don't fully understand the complexities of the GC's to get my head round why a GC is allocated or not allocated. I have a feeling that their threshold is quite high for safeguard purposes.
    Same here, there also seems to be a bit of confusion amongst people trying to figure it out. Some say it is based only on clusters and autosomal DNA while others believe it is a combination of DNA and family trees. In my own case I find it difficult to believe that they are using trees, if they were there is almost no doubt that I would have received GC's for both the West Midlands and USA. In any case, it's well above my head for now but hopefully more details will emerge (Ancestry doesn't seem to be very transparent in regards to things of this nature so I'm doubtful).
    Y DNA E-V13>Z5018>S2979>Z16659>S2972* John Saunders unknown birthdate, died 1840 in Kings Bromley, Staffordshire, England.
    MtDNA U5a2c3a Betty Hallissy b.1801 Passage West, Cork, Ireland

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BackToTheForests For This Useful Post:

Nqp15hhu (06-26-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    From my own observations, 3rd or 4th generation Americans are the stages where GC's start to disappear.
    I don't think you're necessarily too far off, but don't overlook the fact that in many cases, immigrants from the same "Genetic Communities" settled in the same places in America. Because of that, the next generation or so might still marry into the same Genetic Community.

There's an example of this in my wife's family. Her closest tie to her "Connacht, Ireland" Genetic Community is through her 2nd great grandfather Patrick Welsh. In an earlier post I'd incorrectly stated that it was through a 3rd great grandparent, but on rechecking I found that both father and son were immigrants (and possibly the mother as well).

But here's the thing. Although this 2nd great grandfather married an American-born woman, his wife's parents were both also from Ireland. In fact, her mother was born in County Mayo, which is part of the Connacht Genetic Community. So their son, who was my wife's grandfather, was effectively from the Connacht GC as well.

So although my wife is a 5th generation American on this line, in terms of distance from the GC she's no more removed than a 4th generation American might be.

Her great grandfather ended up marrying a woman with Dutch ancestry, but given their part of the country, there's no reason he couldn't have married a woman with ties to Connacht.

The point is, immigration doesn't always end further connection to the same pool (though smaller) as the original GC.
    Last edited by geebee; 06-27-2019 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Clarification and expansion
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

JMcB (06-27-2019),  JonikW (06-27-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by BackToTheForests View Post
    Same here, there also seems to be a bit of confusion amongst people trying to figure it out. Some say it is based only on clusters and autosomal DNA while others believe it is a combination of DNA and family trees. In my own case I find it difficult to believe that they are using trees, if they were there is almost no doubt that I would have received GC's for both the West Midlands and USA. In any case, it's well above my head for now but hopefully more details will emerge (Ancestry doesn't seem to be very transparent in regards to things of this nature so I'm doubtful).
    I certainly don't think they're only using trees, but I also don't think they're only using DNA. One reason I say this is that when my wife was originally given "Connacht, Ireland" as her Genetic Community, Ancestry also suggested a possible ancestor from that community -- which indeed turned out to be correct.

That was a while back, and it's possible they've changed their approach since then. But my guess is that Ancestry uses multiple means to establish the Genetic Communities and who is connected to them. It surely isn't just DNA, though, because I know of many people who look like they should be part of the GC based on shared matches, and yet they're not.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

boilermeschew827 (06-27-2019),  Jessie (06-27-2019),  JMcB (06-27-2019),  JonikW (06-27-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Y-DNA
    R-Z2103>R-Y155609
    mtDNA
    W6

Greece
    I think the new categories are too broad for some South Euro ethinicities. "Greece+Balkans" and "Turkey+Caucasus" encompass something like ten ethnic groups altogether, and given the fact that genetic communities are usually missing from those broad categories as well, it just screams sloppy work, especially when compared to the competition like 23andme.

Very disappointing.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dosas For This Useful Post:

boilermeschew827 (06-27-2019),  Claudio (07-01-2019),  JonikW (06-27-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA
    J1c3f

Ireland Australia Ireland County Tipperary
    Quote Originally Posted by geebee View Post
    I certainly don't think they're only using trees, but I also don't think they're only using DNA. One reason I say this is that when my wife was originally given "Connacht, Ireland" as her Genetic Community, Ancestry also suggested a possible ancestor from that community -- which indeed turned out to be correct.

That was a while back, and it's possible they've changed their approach since then. But my guess is that Ancestry uses multiple means to establish the Genetic Communities and who is connected to them. It surely isn't just DNA, though, because I know of many people who look like they should be part of the GC based on shared matches, and yet they're not.
    Trees are definitely not a part of whether you receive a GC so it's most likely multiple means as you suggest. My daughter received the correct GC from her paternal side even though she has no tree at Ancestry from that side of the family.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

BackToTheForests (06-30-2019),  JonikW (06-27-2019),  msmarjoribanks (06-27-2019),  Nqp15hhu (06-27-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    Tbh, i'm struggling to work out where my Scottish Lowlands is coming from. I know it's Plantation but I didn't think that would pick that up.

And my Donegal community is quite detailed despite only having a few GGG Grandparents from there in one line.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

JonikW (06-27-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA
    J1c3f

Tbh, i'm struggling to work out where my Scottish Lowlands is coming from. I know it's Plantation but I didn't think that would pick that up.
    It would be because there are a large amount of descendants from there in the Northern Irish genepool. I would expect a lot of Northern Irish would get that GC.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    hmmm, based on observations only if they have it. The SW Scotland GC is more prevalent.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA
    J1c3f

hmmm, based on observations only if they have it. The SW Scotland GC is more prevalent.
    Some sort of Scottish GC I'm sure would be very common for a lot of people from Northern Ireland. I don't know the names of the Scottish/Northern Irish GCs.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

JonikW (06-27-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    EV13>Z5018>S2972*
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Ireland Northern Ireland England Lithuania Germany United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by geebee View Post

While it may have worked that way for your wife it certainly didn’t seem to for me, I’m able to break through brick walls and confirm lines and relationships using the English and Colonial cousins (with trees) that Ancestry itself has provided me. I have plenty of thrulines hints to these communities as well. I should think that Ancestry, if they are also using trees, would be able to find these shared ancestors and properly assign the GC’s. Unless you mean that they are using only your matches trees, barring your own, which makes a bit more sense but still really odd that Ancestry couldn’t connect the dots for me using their own system and with my matches trees having the same info as my own.

Edit: I’ll be looking out for my mother in laws AncestryDNA results to come in, she’s an adoptee so we haven’t linked her to any tree yet, and from using my wife’s DNA matches we’ve been able to build her side up and it’s 100% Colonial Virginia, now to see if Ancestry will be able to apply the proper GC.
    Last edited by BackToTheForests; 06-27-2019 at 02:06 PM.
    Y DNA E-V13>Z5018>S2979>Z16659>S2972* John Saunders unknown birthdate, died 1840 in Kings Bromley, Staffordshire, England.
    MtDNA U5a2c3a Betty Hallissy b.1801 Passage West, Cork, Ireland

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BackToTheForests For This Useful Post:

fostert (07-06-2019),  msmarjoribanks (06-27-2019)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast