Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Myheritage results

Sex

Spanish Empire (1506-1701) Turks and Caicos Islands

Myheritage results

Hi,this is my firt time posting here

I want to ask a question about Myheritage results.My parents dit the test not long ago and surprisingly my mom got 14.1 percent ashkenazi jewish and 28 percent balkan(the rest is mostly eastern european which was expected bc we'r from hungary).I assumed the results meant that she was 1/8 ashkenazi jewish.However I got curious about it and uploaded her result to GEDMATCH and looked up eurogenes jtest.Interestingly I've seen a full hungarian get 5.5 percent ashkenazi there(on another forum) and her result had 6.47 percent.I read more about jtest here http://bga101.blogspot.com/2012/09/e...est-files.html and the results are strange because ashkenazi is not in the top 20 Single Populations and none of the mixed mode populations show it either, while for 100 percent askenazi jews it always shows up on both modes.My question is how much ashkenazi jewish ancestry does this mean?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA
    T1a2b- Z19945
    mtDNA
    H95a1

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Austria Tirol Australia Eureka
    Quote Originally Posted by LS14 View Post
    Hi,this is my firt time posting here

I want to ask a question about Myheritage results.My parents dit the test not long ago and surprisingly my mom got 14.1 percent ashkenazi jewish and 28 percent balkan(the rest is mostly eastern european which was expected bc we'r from hungary).I assumed the results meant that she was 1/8 ashkenazi jewish.However I got curious about it and uploaded her result to GEDMATCH and looked up eurogenes jtest.Interestingly I've seen a full hungarian get 5.5 percent ashkenazi there(on another forum) and her result had 6.47 percent.I read more about jtest here http://bga101.blogspot.com/2012/09/e...est-files.html and the results are strange because ashkenazi is not in the top 20 Single Populations and none of the mixed mode populations show it either, while for 100 percent askenazi jews it always shows up on both modes.My question is how much ashkenazi jewish ancestry does this mean?
    The creator of eurogenes jtest ( and Eutest ) stated recently not to use it anymore,

I am not sure on how good myheritage admixture is ..............but their people matching is very good .......maybe one of the best , just ignore the "low-confidence" matches

Father's Mtdna .........T2b17
    Grandfather's Mtdna .......T1a1e
    Sons Mtdna .......K1a4o
    Maternal Grandfather paternal......I1d1-P109
    Maternal side Grandfather .......R1b-S8172
    Wife's Ydna .....R1a-Z282

My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, Y70078+ )

3. The Following User Says Thank You to vettor For This Useful Post:

jetshop (06-15-2019)

Sex

How much is low confidence though?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Yeah, I would go with MyHeritage over J-Test. The highest Ashkenazi percentages I've ever seen on J-Test are about 30% for Jews who get close to 100% Ashkenazi on commercial testing sites. I get about 14% on J-Test and 29% on MyHeritage (on paper, I'm 37.5%).

Sex

If it's 1/8 then why doesn't it show up on top 20 populations and the mixed mode oracle?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity

If it's 1/8 then why doesn't it show up on top 20 populations and the mixed mode oracle?
    Seriously, J-Test is not particularly accurate and it consistently underestimates Ashkenazi heritage. Also, the top 20 populations in the mixed mode oracle don't necessarily show you different populations that correspond to your actual ancestry, they show you the top 20 populations whose average genetic features most closely correspond to your overall genetic mix according to that particular database. If a person is only 1/8 Ashkenazi, that probably wouldn't feature in the mix, depending on what other components that person has, since the other components could easily pull the average away from a typical Ashkenazi profile. The same is true for any ethnic mixture.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

Cascio (06-25-2019),  jetshop (06-15-2019)

Sex

Which test on gedmatch do you think is best for determining more distant ancestry?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity

Which test on gedmatch do you think is best for determining more distant ancestry?
    That really depends on what you're looking for and what your background is. What other ethnicities do you have in your background? Just Hungarian?

Sex

I don't even know I didn't even know about the balkan and the jewish
    Also 14 percent means 1/8 on MH?
    Last edited by LS14; 06-14-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

MyHeritage results can be wacky, and I think it currently tends to be pretty generous with the Balkan. The best way to know if the Ashkenazi is real is whether your mom gets Jewish matches -- people with an eighth or more actual Ashkenazi will get lots of Jewish matches due to historical endogamy in the Ashkenazi population.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

passenger (06-14-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast