Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Myheritage results

Sex

Spanish Empire (1506-1701) Turks and Caicos Islands
    Thanks.So one of her great grandparents was Ashkenazi Jewish according to the results?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    MyHeritage results can be wacky, and I think it currently tends to be pretty generous with the Balkan. The best way to know if the Ashkenazi is real is whether your mom gets Jewish matches -- people with an eighth or more actual Ashkenazi will get lots of Jewish matches due to historical endogamy in the Ashkenazi population.
    True.

As for GEDmatch, Eurogenes K13 is pretty standard. For me in particular, MDLP K23b gets closest to my paper-trail genealogy, but I think that's fairly subjective. Probably none of them will help you determine precisely how much Ashkenazi heritage you have though. It's true that with the commercial testing services you always have to take the results with a grain of salt, and that can be particularly true with some MyHeritage categories, but if they gave your Mom 14.1% Ashkenazi, I think you can be pretty sure that the heritage is there, whether or not it's precisely 1/8.

Sex

Yeah I've read about 23andme being better and MH showing more Ashkenazi Jewish because they have more samples from there
    Maybe my parents should have taken take 23andme first...
    Also the calculator you mentioned( MDLP K23b) shows her 4 populations approximation as 1/4 greek in all 20 lines but Ashkenazi doesn't come up
    Last edited by LS14; 06-14-2019 at 10:21 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity

Like I said, GEDmatch might not be particularly useful, but I'm sure there are plenty more knowledgeable people in this forum who could give you better answers about which tools to use. Would you mind sharing your parents' MyHeritage results?

Sex

L11.pngL12.png Here you go

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LS14 For This Useful Post:

passenger (06-15-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity

Quote Originally Posted by LS14 View Post
    L11.pngL12.png Here you go
    With the exception of your mother's Ashkenazi percentage, both results look similar to other non-Jewish Hungarian MyHeritage results I've seen. There are ethnicities and combinations of ethnicities that could be mistaken for Ashkenazi, but not usually in such high percentages. Just going by these results I would say it's quite likely that your mother has a mostly non-Jewish Hungarian background, with one Jewish great-grandparent, but theoretically her Jewish ancestry could have come down from different lines (for example, two 50% Ashkenazi great-grandparents). I think the only way you'll know that is if you do some genealogical research, but it could take some digging. As you may know, it was quite common in Hungary for people to erase their Jewish backgrounds because of the Holocaust and anti-semitism both before and after the Holocaust, so it's possible that if nobody in your family knew of this history, somebody changed their name and story along the way.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    My Heritage DNA connections list is strange compared with Ancestry and FTDNA. Browsing down the international list by countries, I notice ex-pats in Switzerland, Cayman Islands and Hong Kong. I suspect they are clever money manager types. I wish they would give me some secrets or a bit of wealth to this poor distant relation, ha ha.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12