Thread: Ashkenazi relationship to romani?

Registered Users
    Sex

Ashkenazi relationship to romani?

Is there an ashkenazi connection to romani ancestry? I have romani ancestry (my grandma is Roma) & several of my matches on that side have ashkenazi/European jew ethnicities. I've never heard of any Jewish ancestry in our family, so I'm wondering if this is part of my ancestry or if it's an unrelated part of my matches ancestries.

I don't have many close matches with that side, & ashkenazi shows up in under 20 cm (and a few who are just over 20 but not sure they're the same line).

This is for ancestry & myheritage. On gedmatch I get a lot of low percentages for ashkenazi in my secondary populations but not on jtest. Not sure if that's relevant or not.

Is this normal? Do those ethnic groups go hand in hand?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

England Italy Germany Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by WampusMutt View Post
    Is there an ashkenazi connection to romani ancestry? I have romani ancestry (my grandma is Roma) & several of my matches on that side have ashkenazi/European jew ethnicities. I've never heard of any Jewish ancestry in our family, so I'm wondering if this is part of my ancestry or if it's an unrelated part of my matches ancestries.

I don't have many close matches with that side, & ashkenazi shows up in under 20 cm (and a few who are just over 20 but not sure they're the same line).

This is for ancestry & myheritage. On gedmatch I get a lot of low percentages for ashkenazi in my secondary populations but not on jtest. Not sure if that's relevant or not.

Is this normal? Do those ethnic groups go hand in hand?
    well, modern Romani supposedly have twice the middle eastern than they do south Asian. if that is so you can see an overlap with the Levant regional groups. I am not an expert or well read on this, just my inferences....

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    mtDNA
    T2

Bulgaria
    At least Balkan Roma have no Ashlenazi connecton, and they are supposed to be the most undiluted in Europe. It may come to your admixture through some other line, or may be fake, at least on MyHeritage and FamilyTreeDNA. Most reliable is having Ashkenazi on 23andMe.
    Having a few Asheknazi relatives could be just because you are connected through some recent East European admixture they also have ( but probably not Middle Eastern).
    Having a large number of Ashkenazi relatives, though, may point to a real Askenazi on some of your lines, even a small Ashkenazi descent connects you to a large number of such relatives.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eastara For This Useful Post:

evon (06-16-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Typically those matches are registering high in Eastern European &/or Balkans with a decent amount of Caucasus & a little South Asian, but there's been a lot of European mixing so more or less on everything. Some are very obviously Roma, while some are like me, they have the ancestry but aren't ethnically Roma. It's been a tricky one to track! Now with all this ashkenazi thrown in, I don't know if I'm following one fraction of that ancestry or if it's all across the board.

Registered Users
    Sex

That makes a lot of sense - Ashkenazi as shown on different sites & being more undiluted. The amounts on myheritage are generally twice what they are on Ancestry & usually it's under 8% anywhere. 1 so far on Ancestry is over 50% & I know 1 surname attached to that person, but haven't yet traced that connection. And I've found a Romanian surname that I believe to be Jewish, but that's a rabbit hole I still need to dive down. So far I'm seeing maybe 15% of matches on that side as having some Ashkenazi, but in small percentages, so maybe there's a distant line out there. By what you've said, if there were anything significant it would be a much bigger hit. It's interesting though. I'll keep digging!