Nationality
    Human
    Y-DNA (P)
    ???
    mtDNA (M)
    K1?0r?U5b3g?

Iceland Sami Scotland Ireland Ukraine Orkney

U5b3g ????

So, I tested with living dna for my mtdna and they gave me k1.
    I ran my raw data thru haplofind, and another site. Haplofind said k1 was my most likely haplotype... But then it said it was an imperfect match I have 20matching markers, 8mismatches, and 2 extra markers not known to any of the subclades of K ... Then I used a different program which mapped out my entire sequence
    The last three most recent haplotypes in my sequence were
    K1
    K2 & then most recently
    U5b3g?! I did some more research and found only 4 other people on FTdna's database have u5b3g
    Virtually nothing is known about it
    I know u5b in general is thought to have arose in Sardinia , but there's nothing about u5b3g to be found anywhere I'm not on FTdna so I can't connect with my matches there. Does anyone know anything about it?
    I guess living dna felt safer Grouping me in with k1 ...but that's pretty vague , why would they not just put me in plain old u5? Sorry if I sound confused I am, any advice is welcome and much appreciated (this is my first post on anthrogenica)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    That looks somewhat close to my U5b2b2. Did my maternal ancestral line originate in Sardinia?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Baltimore1937 For This Useful Post:

Lifthrasir789 (06-25-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FT171815
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b3f

United States of America Norway Sweden Wales England Germany Bayern
    Mine is U5b3f, and there's only five or six of us on FTDNA too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lirio100 For This Useful Post:

Lifthrasir789 (06-25-2019)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Eurasian
    Nationality
    Human
    Y-DNA (P)
    ???
    mtDNA (M)
    K1?0r?U5b3g?

I'll see what I can find on u5b2b2..I read this study that says u5b3 originates in Sardinia...not sure about u5b2... I know u5 is common in Saami people , and u5a1a is Saami specific. K was also found in ancient Saami samples (I have Saami Ancestors on both parents lines, but more recently in my father's) I think living dna didn't have anyone else to compare me to so they felt safer lumping me in with k1 the other site I used was haplogrep2 and it's supposedly 95% accurate give or take. Do you guys also have phantom mutations? I have several. What am I ? :')

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Eurasian
    Nationality
    Human
    Y-DNA (P)
    ???
    mtDNA (M)
    K1?0r?U5b3g?

https://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplo...l#distribution

I found this u5 in general is one of several mtdna types to be considered corresponding to the nomadic r1a&r1b tribes (Scythians and such) k is also corresponding to those guys and so is w4 and a few others
    What's you guys autosomal look like ?

I'm a huge mutt. My last 10gens mostly came to America from Scotland and Ireland and a few from Western Europe. My father is Irish Scottish German Welsh, Basque & Frankish...and has Saami ancestors who came in the 1600s from Sweden and Finland and he also has a small amount of Ghanan, mbuti pygmy, Iberian, and khoisan ancestors according to his test. My mother is very Scottish and Irish with a wee bit of Welsh and almost all of her Scottish and Irish lines go back to vikings , and Saami people way back , gedmatch various programs give me a lot of Siberian and ancestral north European /north Atlantic and living dna and gedmatch both give me orcadian I know I have ancestors from Orkney. I get Amerindian on gedmatch also, I'm thinking the Siberian and Amerindian is the Saami ? Another surprising result was a small amount of red sea, and a large amount of natufian this stuff is fascinating I've done nothing but nerd out on my dna for a month �� my family is tired of my genetic and genealogical rambling so I joined this site to find other people like me lmao

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Eurasian
    Nationality
    Human
    Y-DNA (P)
    ???
    mtDNA (M)
    K1?0r?U5b3g?

..I also have a lot of Baltic and west asian showing on gedmatch and a wee bit of East Asian..I have the most common blood type of Asians even tho I have no immediate Asian ancestors

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FT171815
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b3f

U5 is considered old, think I saw an estimate somewhere that only 10% of Europeans have a U5 clade. The line carrying this in my tree goes back to a colonial line but I'm pretty sure it comes from the UK. I teased my daughter that she had to have a girl so that we weren't the ones responsible for 'breaking' the line!

The maternal line carrying the haplotype is only one of many the further one goes back into the family tree and doesn't necessarily say anything about the rest of one's ancestry. Most of my great grandparents were the immigrants but only one great grandmother is the one who passed on the U5b3f.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

I built a tree at Ancestry and my U5b2b2/G228A looks to go back to East Anglia via Virginia in colonial times. But for a while, I thought it went back to early Massachusetts since there is also the same rare U5 as mine. Although I get some New England autosomal (Family Finder) DNA matches from time to time, I just can't seem to connect my direct maternal line to them. But it is possible that early Virginia direct maternal line is not accurate. The G228A seems rare in U5b2b2, although it is common in U5b3. It is in HVR2 in both cases.
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 06-26-2019 at 12:41 AM.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FT171815
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b3f

The earliest known for my line is a Cole born in the Niagara Falls area in 1831 (or1834) she wasn't real clear in the documents I have. That is where it disappears, as early New York is nearly a black hole for early records. I'm pretty sure the family is UK, but given that name I don't know if they're actually English or Scottish.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

Quote Originally Posted by Lirio100 View Post
    The earliest known for my line is a Cole born in the Niagara Falls area in 1831 (or1834) she wasn't real clear in the documents I have. That is where it disappears, as early New York is nearly a black hole for early records. I'm pretty sure the family is UK, but given that name I don't know if they're actually English or Scottish.
    I put together a research tree a few years ago based in Massachusetts. The name Cole shows up very early. Elizabeth Doughty Cole, 1586 Herne Hill, Kent, England to 1630 Plymouth, MA. Her dad was Anthony Cole Jr., 1562-1586 Yorkshire, Eng. and his dad Anthony Sr. born 1526 East Riding, Yorkshire. I don't know if that is up to date info.
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 06-26-2019 at 03:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast