Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23

Albania Italy Two Sicilies Wales Lithuania Poland Slovakia

Dog DNA Testing

Hello Forum Members! Who out there has tested their four legged friend? If so what did you think?

Here are two companies on the market.
    Embark
    Wisdom Panel

I have a rescue dog that I've guessed was part husky and part chow mix. He might actually be a Finnish Lapphund. I really won't know until I've done a DNA test on him.
    Maternal Grandfather's Y Line: J-ZS1711
    Maternal Grandfather's mtDNA: K2b1
    Paternal Grandmother’s mtDNA: U5a1

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Táltos For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (06-25-2019),  DMXX (06-24-2019),  Kulin (05-12-2020),  Piquerobi (06-28-2019),  poi (06-24-2019),  Scarlet Ibis (06-25-2019)

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23

If anyone has links to academic trees for Y DNA or mtDNA of dogs, or other animals please post new threads for each. Thanks!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Táltos For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (06-25-2019),  DMXX (06-25-2019),  Scarlet Ibis (06-25-2019)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V33

New Zealand Maori Croatia Split-Dalmatia Poland Pomerania England Star of David
    We also have a rescue. All his paperwork had on it was Labrador cross but he has the build, behavior and appearance of a Staffordshire Bull Terrier (besides his head, which is shaped like a Labrador's head). He runs like a Greyhound and howls whenever he's excited/when I'm taking too long to get ready for his walk. He's a strange dog, and I'm curious to see what his DNA contains. We are hoping to do this in the near future.

The other company I've come across is DNA My Dog, which from reading reviews, even though cheaper, isn't as accurate as the other two, especially Wisdom.
    Ancestry on paper: English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

DMXX (06-25-2019),  Scarlet Ibis (06-25-2019),  Táltos (06-25-2019)

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23

Finally ordered a test today for my dog. He is getting Embark Breed + Health kit. Cost is $199 US dollars. If you use code DNA50 you will get $50 off. For me with my state tax the total came to $157.94. Shipping is free.

From what I have seen with Embark it reminds me of 23andme's set up. Well can't wait!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Táltos For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (04-16-2020)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V33

New Zealand Maori Croatia Split-Dalmatia Poland Pomerania England Star of David
    Quote Originally Posted by Táltos View Post
    Finally ordered a test today for my dog. He is getting Embark Breed + Health kit. Cost is $199 US dollars. If you use code DNA50 you will get $50 off. For me with my state tax the total came to $157.94. Shipping is free.

From what I have seen with Embark it reminds me of 23andme's set up. Well can't wait!
    We are still hoping to get a kit in the near future. Unfortunately the exchange rate isn't great at the moment. Embark still looks like the gold standard in terms of detail and features.
    Ancestry on paper: English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

Táltos (04-17-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex

Canada
    Please show us the results when you receive them!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Erik For This Useful Post:

Táltos (04-17-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gafasigirig
    Nationality
    Icecold
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-Y16849
    mtDNA (M)
    H14a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Z2103
    mtDNA (P)
    HV-T16311C!

Turkey Afsharid Dynasty
    What I wonder with these companies is do they use pure races as a reference and how do they know for sur that the reference dog is pure. Probably also a lot of overlap.
    Of all the countries, this is possibly the most beautiful. All that is beautiful and can be rarely seen in
    other countries can be seen everywhere here... Here live the people who wear the cleanest clothes and prepare the
    most flavorful dishes... Of all of God’s servants, the local people are the most compassionate and merciful...

Ibn Battuta about Asia Minor 1333CE

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish, Jewish
    Nationality
    Polish

Poland European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Afshar View Post
    What I wonder with these companies is do they use pure races as a reference and how do they know for sur that the reference dog is pure. Probably also a lot of overlap.
    Yeah I also wonder that, testing dogs sounds unusual for me

Registered Users
    Nationality
    Brazilian

Brazil
    An interesting article about it:

As DNA testing has increased in popularity among humans, in order to determine ancestry and give us clues about our health, so have similar tests among mongrel owners keen to know what cocktail of breeds have gone into making up their beloved pup.

DNA testing is particularly popular with those who have adopted a rescue dog from a shelter and were given very little information about its previous life, upbringing and genetic line. Testing your dog’s genetics can help you look for any potential warning signs when it comes to their health as some dog breeds are more susceptible to inheriting certain diseases than others. It can also help to determine what kind of behavioural traits you can expect to see in your pet.

DNA testing kits are now extremely advanced and some claim to be over 90% accurate. Many kits are available to purchase online or from Amazon. Testing involves taking swabs from your dog’s mouth, posting them back to the laboratory and then awaiting results in the post. You then receive a comprehensive breakdown of the breeds that make up your mutt and usually a family tree that spans a few generations to give you some more detailed information. It’s often noted that the breeds listed don’t necessarily line up with how your dog looks. This is due to the fact that physical appearance is controlled by a very small number of genes and the mixture of recessive and dominant variants in the combination of breeds that make up your dog will vary greatly.

Although mixed-breed dogs aren’t usually in as high demand as pedigree breeds, there are some that are unusually sought-after such as Yorkiepoos, Goldendoodles and Sprockers to name just a few.

It’s unlikely that the results of a DNA test will change how you feel about your beloved pooch but if you have any health concerns about your dog then it’s a good way to help you put your mind at ease.
    https://www.petairuk.com/news/dna-testing-dogs

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piquerobi For This Useful Post:

Noone (04-23-2020),  Táltos (04-24-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP445
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2b

England Germany Palatinate Italy Sicily Ireland Munster Acadia Mercia
    Don't need DNA test, 100% goofy springer spaniel.IMG_0055.jpg