Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Jewish genealogy challenges and strategies

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by artemv View Post
    All the Novorossia (south part of modern Ukraine, without Crimea) was a very unsafe place because of Tartars raids from Crimea and this lasted until Russian conquest of Crimea at the end of 18th century. Because of that, region had very few permanent population, and Russian Empire authorities viewed this as a problem - fertile land with no cities and no almost population.
    They were so eager to bring at least someone there, that they made an exception - gave the Jews right to settle there, including into Pale of settlement territories that were never part of Polish-Lithuana commonwealth. Jews could even purchase land and build agricultural colonies.

So, if your family is from Odessa, this means your ancestors migrated there not earlier than beginning of the 19th century (note that it wasn't a that big city in the first half of 19th century). It just could not happen that your family lived there for centuries.
    Thank you. Yes, I had that impression, but until now I had no solid evidence of where my ancestors on that branch lived before Odessa.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

Erikl86 (08-08-2019),  jetshop (08-08-2019),  Targum (08-08-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity

Does anyone have experience requesting genealogical information directly from state archives? I'm looking at the archives for Belarus and they seem to be relatively well organized and prepared to assist in genealogical research, but it looks like they charge some pretty hefty fees. I wonder how efficient they are.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

Israel Jerusalem
    Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    Does anyone have experience requesting genealogical information directly from state archives? I'm looking at the archives for Belarus and they seem to be relatively well organized and prepared to assist in genealogical research, but it looks like they charge some pretty hefty fees. I wonder how efficient they are.
    My cousin has before. Anything in particular you want me to ask about?
    הִנְנִי֩ מֵבִ֨יא אוֹתָ֜ם מֵאֶ֣רֶץ צָפ֗וֹן

Jeremiah 31

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity

Quote Originally Posted by StillWater View Post
    My cousin has before. Anything in particular you want me to ask about?
    Mostly I'm curious to know how much information they give you if you request a genealogical search for a given individual. They have a generic request form where they ask you to list the relevant biographical data, but it's not clear what they actually give you in return and whether it's just on that individual or also on the parents. Also, their fee structure is somewhat confusing. Of course I can try asking them directly to clarify, but it would be nice to get feedback on people's experience with that archive or others.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

Israel Jerusalem
    Mostly I'm curious to know how much information they give you if you request a genealogical search for a given individual. They have a generic request form where they ask you to list the relevant biographical data, but it's not clear what they actually give you in return and whether it's just on that individual or also on the parents. Also, their fee structure is somewhat confusing. Of course I can try asking them directly to clarify, but it would be nice to get feedback on people's experience with that archive or others.
    She didn't ask for generic genealogical info. She asked to receive a specific document.

Jeremiah 31

7. The Following User Says Thank You to StillWater For This Useful Post:

jetshop (08-09-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity

Quote Originally Posted by StillWater View Post
    She didn't ask for generic genealogical info. She asked to receive a specific document.
    I see. Was it the National Historical Archive of Belarus? Was she happy with the service?

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

Israel Jerusalem
    I see. Was it the National Historical Archive of Belarus? Was she happy with the service?
    I think it was from the city's Jewish archives. The document was pretty dry and she received it, so I assume she was happy. It was the marriage record of her great-grandparents.
    Last edited by StillWater; 08-09-2019 at 04:57 AM.

Jeremiah 31

10. The Following User Says Thank You to StillWater For This Useful Post:

passenger (08-09-2019)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678