P312>DF19>DF88
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1e
    Y-DNA (M)
    J2a1 Z6065>Y7708>M47
    mtDNA (P)
    H1j

United States of America Lebanon Germany United Kingdom Belgium Switzerland
    I'm brick walled (or at least stalled) at two 6th great grandfathers (one died 1763 in Kraichtal, B-W and one lived 1665-1740 possibly at least died in Gochsheim, Kraichtal) and another who died 1783 somewhere in Germany (possibly Königshofen am der Tauber, B-W).
    Just to make things harder, the third one's surname was David, but his son's was Weimann -- whose daughter switched back to David.
    And I don't know who any of their spouses were.
    R1b>M269>L23>L51>L11>P312>DF19>DF88>FGC11833 >S4281>S4268>Z17112>BY44243

Ancestors: Francis Cooke (M223/I2a2a) b1583; Hester Mahieu (Cooke) (J1c2 mtDNA) b.1584; Richard Warren (E-M35) b1578; Elizabeth Walker (Warren) (H1j mtDNA) b1583;
    John Mead (I2a1/P37.2) b1634; Rev. Joseph Hull (I1, L1301+ L1302-) b1595; Benjamin Harrington (M223/I2a2a-Y5729) b1618; Joshua Griffith (L21>DF13) b1593;
    John Wing (U106) b1584; Thomas Gunn (DF19) b1605; Hermann Wilhelm (DF19) b1635

Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    FYI, I just inherited a copy of the bilingual, Portuguese-English Dictionary of Sephardic Surnames by Faiguenboim et al. It's partly based on Beider's work, but is expanded to include other sources. Most entries aren't all that detailed, but include locations where the surname has been found in the historical and modern diasporas, and sometimes additional information, such as the surname origin and/or prominent individuals with that surname. If anyone is interested in particular names, I'd be happy to look them up. The coverage is pretty exhaustive.

For instance:

"Aboulafia: Livorno, Didimotikho, Smyrna, Dedeagatach, Galata, Turkey, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Ciudad de Mexico, Alexandria, Tunisie, Mogador-Essaouira, Maroc, Aleppo, Tiberias; (O); médico, farmacêutico; doctor, pharmacist; [list of sources in which name is included]; v. Abulafia"

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (05-11-2020),  hartaisarlag (05-11-2020),  Papapa (05-16-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    LebaGermish
    Y-DNA (P)
    P312>DF19>DF88
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1e
    Y-DNA (M)
    J2a1 Z6065>Y7708>M47
    mtDNA (P)
    H1j

United States of America Lebanon Germany United Kingdom Belgium Switzerland
    ^^Cool! It probably won't help me (I think all my known direct surnames* except David originated in Germany and not Sephardic?) but seems like a neat research tool.

*Dessauer, Seligmann, Weimann, David and Sontheim
    R1b>M269>L23>L51>L11>P312>DF19>DF88>FGC11833 >S4281>S4268>Z17112>BY44243

Ancestors: Francis Cooke (M223/I2a2a) b1583; Hester Mahieu (Cooke) (J1c2 mtDNA) b.1584; Richard Warren (E-M35) b1578; Elizabeth Walker (Warren) (H1j mtDNA) b1583;
    John Mead (I2a1/P37.2) b1634; Rev. Joseph Hull (I1, L1301+ L1302-) b1595; Benjamin Harrington (M223/I2a2a-Y5729) b1618; Joshua Griffith (L21>DF13) b1593;
    John Wing (U106) b1584; Thomas Gunn (DF19) b1605; Hermann Wilhelm (DF19) b1635

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dewsloth For This Useful Post:

passenger (05-11-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western Jewish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y6938*
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c7a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Y2619
    mtDNA (P)
    H7e

Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    FYI, I just inherited a copy of the bilingual, Portuguese-English Dictionary of Sephardic Surnames by Faiguenboim et al. It's partly based on Beider's work, but is expanded to include other sources. Most entries aren't all that detailed, but include locations where the surname has been found in the historical and modern diasporas, and sometimes additional information, such as the surname origin and/or prominent individuals with that surname. If anyone is interested in particular names, I'd be happy to look them up. The coverage is pretty exhaustive.

For instance:

"Aboulafia: Livorno, Didimotikho, Smyrna, Dedeagatach, Galata, Turkey, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Ciudad de Mexico, Alexandria, Tunisie, Mogador-Essaouira, Maroc, Aleppo, Tiberias; (O); médico, farmacêutico; doctor, pharmacist; [list of sources in which name is included]; v. Abulafia"
    Cadranel?
    The clock indicates the moment—but what does eternity indicate?

Sex
    Ethnicity

Quote Originally Posted by hartaisarlag View Post
    Cadranel?
    Not a lot of information on that one, just locations and the list of sources (which I won't reproduce, cause it's too much info).

"Cadranel: Smyrna, Rhodes, Constantine, Buenos Aires"
    Last edited by passenger; 05-11-2020 at 11:16 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

hartaisarlag (05-11-2020)

Sex
    Ethnicity

Translation request: If anyone who can read Russian (late 19th-century/early 20th-century print in this case) could do me the favor of translating the words on the back of this old photograph, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Gittel and Busya - reverse side.jpg

Edit: If you click on the image twice, it will appear horizontally, rather than vertically.
    Last edited by passenger; 05-12-2020 at 10:34 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

grumpydaddybear (05-13-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & Slavic
    Nationality
    Israel & Russia
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1b - S17250
    mtDNA (M)
    R0a4
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b5a

Israel Israel Jerusalem Russian Federation Serbia Montenegro
    Translation request: If anyone who can read Russian (late 19th-century/early 20th-century print in this case) could do me the favor of translating the words on the back of this old photograph, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Gittel and Busya - reverse side.jpg

Edit: If you click on the image twice, it will appear horizontally, rather than vertically.
    Фотограф Витлин в Кременчуге
    Собствен. дом
    Удостоенный медали в Лионе высшая ... (it looks like there was one more word here, but we only see half of first letter)
    Большая золотая медаль в Одессе
    Серебряная медаль в Кременчуге
    Негативы сохраняются

I typed the text in modern Russian alphabet, so that you could translate it with google translate.
    This is a photo made by professional photographer. Photographer's family name is Vitlin(Витлин), and the text is about awards he got in Lyon, Odessa and Kremenchug.
    There is nothing about the photo itself in russian text. I guess someone ordered a photo from professional photographer, and this is standard advertisment, that was the same on the back for all photos made by his studio.
    'Негативы сохраняются' means "Negatives are being kept". Like you can come afterwards and order another copy of your photo.

Only hand-written vertical text in French(?) maybe of some interest (and might be related to the photo itself).

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to artemv For This Useful Post:

chelle (05-16-2020),  grumpydaddybear (05-13-2020),  passenger (05-13-2020)

Sex
    Ethnicity

Quote Originally Posted by artemv View Post
    Фотограф Витлин в Кременчуге
    Собствен. дом
    Удостоенный медали в Лионе высшая ... (it looks like there was one more word here, but we only see half of first letter)
    Большая золотая медаль в Одессе
    Серебряная медаль в Кременчуге
    Негативы сохраняются

I typed the text in modern Russian alphabet, so that you could translate it with google translate.
    This is a photo made by professional photographer. Photographer's family name is Vitlin(Витлин), and the text is about awards he got in Lyon, Odessa and Kremenchug.
    There is nothing about the photo itself in russian text. I guess someone ordered a photo from professional photographer, and this is standard advertisment, that was the same on the back for all photos made by his studio.
    'Негативы сохраняются' means "Negatives are being kept". Like you can come afterwards and order another copy of your photo.

Only hand-written vertical text in French(?) maybe of some interest (and might be related to the photo itself).
    Great! Thanks so much for that. Normally I would have just run it through Google translate, but I had a hard time figuring out the corresponding modern letters.

The handwritten text is my grandmother's, written in English, but it's cut off. It's a photograph of her mother and grandmother somewhere in what is now Ukraine (I suppose Kremenchug, where they were from). That much I knew, but I've been trying to see if I could figure out any more information about the photo, like more precisely when and where it was taken.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

chelle (05-16-2020),  grumpydaddybear (05-13-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & Slavic
    Nationality
    Israel & Russia
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1b - S17250
    mtDNA (M)
    R0a4
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b5a

Israel Israel Jerusalem Russian Federation Serbia Montenegro
    Great! Thanks so much for that. Normally I would have just run it through Google translate, but I had a hard time figuring out the corresponding modern letters.

The handwritten text is my grandmother's, written in English, but it's cut off. It's a photograph of her mother and grandmother somewhere in what is now Ukraine (I suppose Kremenchug, where they were from). That much I knew, but I've been trying to see if I could figure out any more information about the photo, like more precisely when and where it was taken.
    No doubt it's Kremenchug.
    Text in largest font says: 'Photographer Vitlin in Kremenchug'

I just typed "фотограф витлин в кременчуге" in google and found enough links in Russian about him (and enough old photos with the same backs, you can check pictures).
    Photographer himself had typical Jewish name for that time (like Jacob son of Wulf).
    I guess if you try you can probably find out which years his studio used this backward text.

There are enough old photos online with back exactly like yours.
    Now check your photo again. Definitely you can see only part of a picture that should be there. Could it happen that part of your photo was cut out?
    Last edited by artemv; 05-14-2020 at 12:31 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artemv For This Useful Post:

grumpydaddybear (05-13-2020),  passenger (05-13-2020)

Sex
    Ethnicity

Quote Originally Posted by artemv View Post
    No doubt it's Kremenchug.
    Text in lagest font says: 'Photographer Vitlin in Kremenchug'

I just typed "фотограф витлин в кременчуге" in google and found enough links in Russian about him (and enough old photos with the same backs, you can check pictures).
    Photographer himself had typical Jewish name for that time (like Jacob son of Wulf).
    I guess if you try you can probably find out which years his studio used this backward text.

There are enough old photos online with back exactly like yours.
    Now check your photo again. Definitely you can see only part of a picture that should be there. Could it happen that part of your photo was cut out?
    I'll see if I can do some more research on the photographer.

I don't think any part of the photo was cut out, but obviously parts have been torn off the back.

This is the front, which I've posted on other threads:
    Last edited by passenger; 07-06-2020 at 04:44 PM.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

artemv (05-14-2020),  chelle (05-16-2020),  grumpydaddybear (05-13-2020),  jetshop (05-13-2020),  Papapa (05-16-2020)

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast