Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western Jewish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    E-Y6938

Where are your folks from?
    The clock indicates the moment—but what does eternity indicate?

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

Quote Originally Posted by hartaisarlag View Post
    Where are your folks from?
    6 great-grandparents from Belarus, 1 from the Litvak end of Poland, 1 from southern Ukraine

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StillWater For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-05-2019),  Erikl86 (07-06-2019),  hartaisarlag (07-06-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    95% Ashkenaz,5% Sephardic
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA
    J2a
    mtDNA
    J1c

Quote Originally Posted by StillWater View Post
    All 3.
    I am not at Ancestry. Offhand, my pattern seems similar, but I have a bit more Belarus and western Ukraine

There is a Lithuania and Latvia Jewish group on Facebook. I got lucky----there are dna groups for both of my parents' home towns----Keidan and Ukmerge.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to josh w. For This Useful Post:

StillWater (07-06-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

Quote Originally Posted by josh w. View Post
    I am not at Ancestry. Offhand, my pattern seems similar, but I have a bit more Belarus and western Ukraine

There is a Lithuania and Latvia Jewish group on Facebook. I got lucky----there are dna groups for both of my parents' home towns----Keidan and Ukmerge.
    Is that what you think your map would look like based on your cousin matches?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    95% Ashkenaz,5% Sephardic
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA
    J2a
    mtDNA
    J1c

Is that what you think your map would look like based on your cousin matches?
    Yes, for adna. My Y matches go from Iberia to eastern Europe. Of course border changes confound the picture. Most of my matches from Belarus are from western Belarus, e.g. Grodno region.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Two related questions - one general, one specific. First, although I'm aware of the pitfalls of trying to find legitimate relatives through DNA matches, particularly in the case of Ashkenazim, has anyone here had any success in finding cousins you were unaware of? I've mostly given up on verifying Ashkenazi matches unless they're relatively close, but I wonder if that's worked for anyone.

Second, with regards to Sephardic matches, does anyone know of population exchanges between Eastern Sephardim (Turkey, Greece, etc.) and North African Sephardim within the past few hundred years? The thing is, I have tons of North African Jewish "cousins", especially of Libyan and Tunisian origins, occasionally Algerian (never Moroccan) that I share the same segments with (usually 12-13 cM segments). I don't know how far back that connection would go, but I'd imagine it would have to be post-1492 expulsion for such a connection to be detected. I know that some of the early Sephardic migration routes out of Iberia passed through North Africa before ending up in the Eastern Med, and I'm aware of particularly Italian Jewish trade networks connecting Italy with Tunisia and Istanbul, but I've never heard of any substantial direct population flow from North Africa to Greece and Turkey, although, again, I imagine trade would have facilitated movement within the Ottoman Empire. Any ideas?
    Paper trail:

Father = 50% English (early American settlers), 25% Dutch, 12.5% Danish, 8% German + some Irish, Scottish and French

Mother = 75% Ashkenazi Jewish (Russia/Ukraine) and 25% Sephardic (Turkey)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & Slavic
    Nationality
    Israel & Russia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b - S17250
    mtDNA
    R0a4

Israel Israel Jerusalem Russian Federation Serbia Montenegro
    Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    Two related questions - one general, one specific. First, although I'm aware of the pitfalls of trying to find legitimate relatives through DNA matches, particularly in the case of Ashkenazim, has anyone here had any success in finding cousins you were unaware of? I've mostly given up on verifying Ashkenazi matches unless they're relatively close, but I wonder if that's worked for anyone.
    I found a relative with myheritage.
    My mother's second cousin. My mother remembered his family name, but they lost contact since his family emigrated to US in late Soviet times.

Myheritage reported 2,9% of common DNA, much more than thousends users that have 1,0-1,5% in common.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to artemv For This Useful Post:

passenger (07-07-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

Quote Originally Posted by artemv View Post
    I found a relative with myheritage.
    My mother's second cousin. My mother remembered his family name, but they lost contact since his family emigrated to US in late Soviet times.

Myheritage reported 2,9% of common DNA, much more than thousends users that have 1,0-1,5% in common.
    My grandma has a 2.2% match on MyHeritage, but we can't find any surname in common, despite a shared ancestral city. My mom has a 2.3% match; both sides vaguely recognize a surname and share a city in common, but nothing came out of it. Relevant table here for Ashkenazic matches: https://larasgenealogy.blogspot.com/...y-data-by.html

12. The Following User Says Thank You to StillWater For This Useful Post:

passenger (07-07-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post

Second, with regards to Sephardic matches, does anyone know of population exchanges between Eastern Sephardim (Turkey, Greece, etc.) and North African Sephardim within the past few hundred years? The thing is, I have tons of North African Jewish "cousins", especially of Libyan and Tunisian origins, occasionally Algerian (never Moroccan) that I share the same segments with (usually 12-13 cM segments). I don't know how far back that connection would go, but I'd imagine it would have to be post-1492 expulsion for such a connection to be detected. I know that some of the early Sephardic migration routes out of Iberia passed through North Africa before ending up in the Eastern Med, and I'm aware of particularly Italian Jewish trade networks connecting Italy with Tunisia and Istanbul, but I've never heard of any substantial direct population flow from North Africa to Greece and Turkey, although, again, I imagine trade would have facilitated movement within the Ottoman Empire. Any ideas?
    I have such segments with Sephardim and with Hispanics. I don't know the exact migrations between North Africa and Turkey, but judging by my matches, yours could simply go back to the inquisition. Try seeing whom you can triangulate them with.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & Slavic
    Nationality
    Israel & Russia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b - S17250
    mtDNA
    R0a4

Israel Israel Jerusalem Russian Federation Serbia Montenegro
    My mom has a 2.3% match; both sides vaguely recognize a surname and share a city in common, but nothing came out of it. Relevant table here for Ashkenazic matches: https://larasgenealogy.blogspot.com/...y-data-by.html
    I guess you are likely related. But your first step should be to go to archives.
    Without info about 4-5 generation relatives you will never know what to discuss with potential relatives.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast