Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Jewish genealogy challenges and strategies

  1. #31
    Registered Users
    Posts
    254
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

    Quote Originally Posted by artemv View Post
    I guess you are likely related. But your first step should be to go to archives.
    Without info about 4-5 generation relatives you will never know what to discuss with potential relatives.
    I know the names of all of my great-grandparents and a good amount of info on the next generation. Have you paid someone to look through physical archives?

  2. #32
    Registered Users
    Posts
    90
    Sex
    Location
    United States
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

    England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by StillWater View Post
    I have such segments with Sephardim and with Hispanics. I don't know the exact migrations between North Africa and Turkey, but judging by my matches, yours could simply go back to the inquisition. Try seeing whom you can triangulate them with.
    I have triangulated some of them. For instance, I have one 12-13 cM segment with lots of matches, the vast majority of whom are of Libyan or Tunisian Jewish descent, with a couple of Hispanic and Ashkenazi matches thrown in (in that case, the Ashkenazi matches usually show a small Sephardic percentage). These segments don't generally triangulate with any of my Eastern Sephardic matches, but my Greek and Turkish matches hardly triangulate with anyone.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

     Targum (07-07-2019)

  4. #33
    Registered Users
    Posts
    254
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

    Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    I have triangulated some of them. For instance, I have one 12-13 cM segment with lots of matches, the vast majority of whom are of Libyan or Tunisian Jewish descent, with a couple of Hispanic and Ashkenazi matches thrown in (in that case, the Ashkenazi matches usually show a small Sephardic percentage). These segments don't generally triangulate with any of my Eastern Sephardic matches, but my Greek and Turkish matches hardly triangulate with anyone.
    This sounds like MyHeritage. Just make sure you're not triangulating segments with 2 close family members.

  5. #34
    Registered Users
    Posts
    239
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    95% Ashkenaz,5% Sephardic
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA
    J2a
    mtDNA
    J1c

    Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    Two related questions - one general, one specific. First, although I'm aware of the pitfalls of trying to find legitimate relatives through DNA matches, particularly in the case of Ashkenazim, has anyone here had any success in finding cousins you were unaware of? I've mostly given up on verifying Ashkenazi matches unless they're relatively close, but I wonder if that's worked for anyone.

    Second, with regards to Sephardic matches, does anyone know of population exchanges between Eastern Sephardim (Turkey, Greece, etc.) and North African Sephardim within the past few hundred years? The thing is, I have tons of North African Jewish "cousins", especially of Libyan and Tunisian origins, occasionally Algerian (never Moroccan) that I share the same segments with (usually 12-13 cM segments). I don't know how far back that connection would go, but I'd imagine it would have to be post-1492 expulsion for such a connection to be detected. I know that some of the early Sephardic migration routes out of Iberia passed through North Africa before ending up in the Eastern Med, and I'm aware of particularly Italian Jewish trade networks connecting Italy with Tunisia and Istanbul, but I've never heard of any substantial direct population flow from North Africa to Greece and Turkey, although, again, I imagine trade would have facilitated movement within the Ottoman Empire. Any ideas?
    Yes, I found three second cousins who were unfamiliar

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to josh w. For This Useful Post:

     passenger (07-08-2019)

  7. #35
    Registered Users
    Posts
    90
    Sex
    Location
    United States
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

    England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by josh w. View Post
    Yes, I found three second cousins who were unfamiliar
    Which website(s) did you use? Were you able to verify the connections through your online family trees?

  8. #36
    Junior Member
    Posts
    8
    Sex

    I am having a difficult time tracing my family beyond 1855 Berlin. I found my gg grandfather's brother witnessing his son's wedding in Berlin. Family name "Cohnheim". That is the only connection I can find. I can't connect to any other Cohnheim I find in Jewish Gen or any other place. I think that is probably around the time surnames were being adopted by Jews. Any information out there regarding that time

  9. #37
    Registered Users
    Posts
    90
    Sex
    Location
    United States
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

    England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird57 View Post
    I am having a difficult time tracing my family beyond 1855 Berlin. I found my gg grandfather's brother witnessing his son's wedding in Berlin. Family name "Cohnheim". That is the only connection I can find. I can't connect to any other Cohnheim I find in Jewish Gen or any other place. I think that is probably around the time surnames were being adopted by Jews. Any information out there regarding that time
    From what I understand, the process of adopting surnames generally began earlier with German Jews, so it may be possible to trace your family back even farther through their surname: https://oldgermantranslations.com/tr...ge4/page4.html Have you checked on familysearch.org? There are quite a few German Cohnheims from the first half of the 19th Century.

  10. #38
    Registered Users
    Posts
    239
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    95% Ashkenaz,5% Sephardic
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA
    J2a
    mtDNA
    J1c

    Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    Which website(s) did you use? Were you able to verify the connections through your online family trees?
    I found them at Ftdna and 23&me. They were connected to people who were on my family tree.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to josh w. For This Useful Post:

     passenger (07-08-2019)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2018, 04:12 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2017, 10:15 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-22-2015, 05:50 PM
  4. new study challenges lighter vs darker skin color story
    By MikeWhalen in forum Human Evolution
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-14-2014, 08:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •