Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA
    J1c2p

England Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmandoR1b View Post
    No, you can't get most of the more refined Y-DNA v5 subclades with a free online estimator from a v3 or v4 raw file. That is a huge mistake to believe that and a total misunderstanding of what the online estimators do.
    23 and me has me at E-V13. So does Nevgen so does Morley etc..., so in my case it does. Others fall in the exceptions statement I said. The used to have me at E-M5021 or whatever the E-M35 equivalent is.

Im also not talking about V3 or V4. Just V5. That said, Im not sure what raw files I have used to glean this info. in fact the 23 and Me V5 might be useless for this so if so, I apologize for the confusion.

edit** there seems top be some confusion in what I said. All I was saying is that both 23 and Me v5 as well as various online tools for haplogroup predictions gave me the same info. Its high level predictions from both. FTDNA or the like are required for deep subclade research. so if one is considering 23 and me v5 for Y-dna haplogroups, you might be able to get the same info 23 and me would give but for free via online tools with other raw data files you might have.
    Last edited by digital_noise; 06-29-2019 at 09:14 PM.
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

E-V13 => E-PH1246 => E-BY14160
    Antonio Reale born circa 1710, Ciminą Italy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (06-29-2019)

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA
    H23

Italy Two Sicilies Germany Palatinate Lithuania Poland Slovakia
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    23 and me has me at E-V13. So does Nevgen so does Morley etc..., so in my case it does. Others fall in the exceptions statement I said. The used to have me at E-M5021 or whatever the E-M35 equivalent is.

Im also not talking about V3 or V4. Just V5.
    V5 is still not going to drill down as far as it can go for your subclade. Only a full sequence of your Y chromosome can do that. Also keep in mind YSEQ or even SNP Packs at FTDNA are going to be better.

I know my Q1b connection over at 23andme does not even get assigned to his proper branch of Q1b. They have him as Q-M378. Not good enough. As far as I have seen, 23andme doesn't even acknowledge the Q-YP1003 branch of the tree. Many other branches shoot off this one.

I can say however that V3 and V4 were able to tell my mom and myself that we belong to mtDNA H23. My HVR 1 and 2 test at FTDNA only gave me H, but with FTDNA a full sequence is always best for mtDNA. Still just not worth the upgrade for the Y at 23andme. So much can be discovered with it at other companies.
    Maternal Grandfather's Y Line: J-ZS1711
    Maternal Grandfather's mtDNA: K2b1
    Paternal Grandmother’s mtDNA: U5a1

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tįltos For This Useful Post:

ArmandoR1b (06-29-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA
    J1c2p

England Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Tįltos View Post
    V5 is still not going to drill down as far as it can go for your subclade. Only a full sequence of your Y chromosome can do that. Also keep in mind YSEQ or even SNP Packs at FTDNA are going to be better.

I know my Q1b connection over at 23andme does not even get assigned to his proper branch of Q1b. They have him as Q-M378. Not good enough. As far as I have seen, 23andme doesn't even acknowledge the Q-YP1003 branch of the tree. Many other branches shoot off this one.

I can say however that V3 and V4 were able to tell my mom and myself that we belong to mtDNA H23. My HVR 1 and 2 test at FTDNA only gave me H, but with FTDNA a full sequence is always best for mtDNA. Still just not worth the upgrade for the Y at 23andme. So much can be discovered with it at other companies.
    I know. Im saying if you are getting a V5 upgrade just for the sake of the Y haplogroup info, save your money. I never stated 23 and me gives deep haplogroup assignments
    Last edited by digital_noise; 06-29-2019 at 09:12 PM.
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

E-V13 => E-PH1246 => E-BY14160
    Antonio Reale born circa 1710, Ciminą Italy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

Tįltos (06-29-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Im also not talking about V3 or V4. Just V5.
    My statement also applies to 23andme v5. The 23andme v5 chip had already tested you positive for E-V13 which is why it was in the raw data to begin with. 23andme was slow in reporting the most downstream positive SNP but that was quite a while ago and everyone tested by the v5 chip now has the most downstream positive Y-DNA SNP reported as their paternal haplogroup so whatever happened to you in the past is moot. As it stands you cannot get a more refined Y-DNA subclade with a free online estimator using a v3,v4 or v5 raw DNA file

Nevgen does not use SNPs. It uses STRs so it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

That said, Im not sure what raw files I have used to glean this info. in fact the 23 and Me V5 might be useless for this so if so, I apologize for the confusion.
    It would have been a 23andme v5 raw DNA file. During the period that 23andme v5 failed to report the most downstream positive Y-DNA SNP there were not any other raw DNA files that could have given you a more refined downstream SNP than the 23andme v5 chip. Now that other companies are supposedly also using a Customized Illumina GSA chip like 23andme v5 does there might be a few exceptions but it would be a waste of money to get any of them just for a more refined downstream SNP. An SNP Panel by Yseq or, if already STR tested by FTDNA, an SNP Pack would be more economical if someone already has a Y-DNA haplogroup from any 23andme test.
    Last edited by ArmandoR1b; 06-29-2019 at 10:02 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ArmandoR1b For This Useful Post:

Tįltos (06-29-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12