Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Origin and Spread Of Haplogroup J2a

J Man

Origin and Spread Of Haplogroup J2a

I am quite interested in the origin and spread of haplogroup J2a. Most believe that J2a originated in either the Levant or northern Mesopotamia and was part of the first human groups to domesticate plants and animals in this region. From these areas of the Near East J2a then began migrating to other lands initially in search of more fertile lands to farm. Obviously later migrations during the Copper and Bronze ages right up until the Middle Ages probably also helped spread J2a into Europe and parts of North Africa and Central Asia. There is a good chance then I think that the originators of the Sumerian and other ancient Near Eastern civilizations may have initially been dominated by haplogroup J2a. One thing that is interesting and important to point out I think is that so far the dominant Y-DNA haplogroup of the early Neolithic farmers in Europe has turned out to be haplogroup G. No J2a has been found at all so far. I think this may point to J2a being a rather late entrant into continental Europe from the Near East. On the other hand maybe some J2a was present in the Mediterranean areas of Europe since Neolithic times. Here is a link with some good background information on haplogroup J2a.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_J2_(Y-DNA)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Man For This Useful Post:

Anabasis (09-01-2015),  rms2 (09-01-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA (M)
    D4j5*

Despite not having enough aDNA to back the assertion, the correlation between Y-DNA J2a and the neolithic expansion is pretty much a given based on the modern distribution in Eurasia.

Based on Y-DNA STR and subclade diversity (numerous studies), it seems that the area encompassing Turkey and Iran is where Y-DNA J2a first arose. It may have happened elsewhere, but the gross assortment of subclades in this part of the world leads me to suspect there wasn't some form of prehistoric demic mass migration from somewhere else (i.e. the Persian Gulf, which was once an ecological hotspot).

I am quite interested in the J2a found in Central Asia, particularly among the Kazakhs. I wonder if they cluster better with North Caucasians or South-Central Asians?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

rms2 (09-01-2015)

J Man
    ^Yes I am quite sure that J2a was present among the earliest farming communities in the northern parts of the Fertile Crescent. For some reason though it did not expand in large numbers along with G2a into mainland Europe during the Neolithic. It is too early really though to know for sure as some J2a could still turn up in some of the Mediterranean areas of Europe in Neolithic remains I think. However it does seem more likely now that J2a started to spread out in large numbers in all directions during the early Bronze Age with new Bronze technologies.

I agree that the J2a found among Central Asians such as the Kazakhs is interesting. I am of the opinion that the J2a found there was part of the very early Neolithic or Bronze Age communities that became Iranian peoples. They were later assimilated by the Turkic tribes that swept into Central Asia from much later.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA (M)
    D4j5*

Quote Originally Posted by J Man View Post
    ^Yes I am quite sure that J2a was present among the earliest farming communities in the northern parts of the Fertile Crescent. For some reason though it did not expand in large numbers along with G2a into mainland Europe during the Neolithic. It is too early really though to know for sure as some J2a could still turn up in some of the Mediterranean areas of Europe in Neolithic remains I think. However it does seem more likely now that J2a started to spread out in large numbers in all directions during the early Bronze Age with new Bronze technologies.

I agree that the J2a found among Central Asians such as the Kazakhs is interesting. I am of the opinion that the J2a found there was part of the very early Neolithic or Bronze Age communities that became Iranian peoples. They were later assimilated by the Turkic tribes that swept into Central Asia from much later.
    It's the timing of this sweep I'm most interested in. We know of post-BMAC agriculturalists entering the Tarim Basin around 500 B.C. IIRC from the Pamirs. There's also, if memory serves right, a vocabulary set donated to the Tocharians from agriculturalists.

The J2a found in Kazakhs certainly stemmed from a more south-easterly source, but the question is, when, and who were they?

J Man
    The J2a in Kazakhs may have come from the people called ''Sarts''. They were sedentary peoples of Central Asia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to J Man For This Useful Post:

DMXX (09-28-2012)

Is it also poassible that the J2a in Kazakhs came from the Caucasus or Iran?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a4h2f* (J-L192)
    mtDNA (M)
    H, U3b

Turkey Ottoman Empire Ottoman Empire 2
    Does anybody know where J2a4h is common?
    Is it common among Jews?

J Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Does anybody know where J2a4h is common?
    Is it common among Jews?
    It is quite common everywhere J2a men are found. Yes it is also found among Jews.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Z16988+BY99620+

Look like J-YSC0000253 has been confirmed for a sample from Iron Age Bulgaria: More Y-SNP calls from Iron and Bronze Age Bulgaria

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bane For This Useful Post:

J Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    Look like J-YSC0000253 has been confirmed for a sample from Iron Age Bulgaria: More Y-SNP calls from Iron and Bronze Age Bulgaria
    Which culture does the J-YSC0000253 from Iron Age Bulgaria come from do you know?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast