Page 175 of 175 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175
Results 1,741 to 1,742 of 1742

Thread: Population genomics of the Viking world (bioxiv, 2019, Copenhagen)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian
    Y-DNA (P)
    G1a
    mtDNA (M)
    I5b1

Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Bygdedweller View Post
    I guess there was a demographic change following the formation of the modern Swedish state. If we go back even further I think the population of Gotland was quite distinct from mainland Swedes after the Neolithic farmers settled the rest of Scandinavia, with hunter-gatherer societies persisting for much longer. I presume the Baltic connection was strong even back then, because they also weren't as touched by the Neolithic farmers. Later we even see individuals buried Battle Axe-style, but with PWC-genetics:
    You think prior to Swedish rule Gotland was heavily Baltic-like? I'm not so sure of that considering that Old Gutnish was a seperate language from Old East Norse.

The Neolithic revolution did reach Gotland early on though, infact one of the TRB samples in the PCA 25 spreadsheet is from Ansarve, Gotland but you're right that they were co-territorial with the PWC like other regions of southern Scandinavia.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helves For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (10-25-2020),  JMcB (10-24-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z19
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a

Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by Helves View Post
    You think prior to Swedish rule Gotland was heavily Baltic-like? I'm not so sure of that considering that Old Gutnish was a seperate language from Old East Norse.
    That's a good point. Overall that seems too far-fetched, because the Viking age-samples seem like examples of more recent influx (not just of Baltic people, also Danes and British). It was a trading-port, so all sorts of people would have made their way there. But there was maritime contact with the Baltic area long before that. Doesn't seem unlikely that some mixture occurred. It's a important point that Germanic culture was dominant though.

Quote Originally Posted by Helves View Post
    The Neolithic revolution did reach Gotland early on though, infact one of the TRB samples in the PCA 25 spreadsheet is from Ansarve, Gotland but you're right that they were co-territorial with the PWC like other regions of southern Scandinavia.
    PWC-findings seem to be much more rich in Gotland than elsewhere though. And the PWC-like peoples with Battle Axe-burials is rather intriguing too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bygdedweller For This Useful Post:

JMcB (10-24-2020)

Page 175 of 175 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175