Thread: What ethnicities am I and what percentage of? Link to website with my various results

Sex

Post What ethnicities am I and what percentage of? Link to website with my various results

Hello, I'm a newbie to DNA/genealogy/heritage understanding: I thought I was 75% Italian and 25% Irish as my Mom's side is Italian grandmother/grandfather and Dad's side is Italian grandfather, Irish grandmother. I did AncestryDNA and discovered more than I expected; as a result did GedMatch, promethease, and other low price and/or free options to obtain more information to dissect. Within a month of research and paper receipts of results I am not entirely sure, but I think I'm definitely more than the original 2 ethnicities. I know I have Sicilian, Italian South and North (some Central), English, Irish, and Scottish. I think Welsh and Orcadian as well...

Unexpected categories I noticed were eastern (Slavic, Baltic?) countries, Caucasus, West Asia, and a plot map I did showed certain North Sea and Atlantic countries along with parts of South, Central, possibly Caribbean island America (Native?), and 3 African countries bordering Spain/Portugal (Sicilian or Italian related?). I know certain countries may apply to United Kingdom, like how Spain and Greece may apply to Italy. Or I may be 3 or more ancestral origins.. My question is what ethnicities am I with my results (link provides oracles, chromosomes, Eurogenes, Ancestry results in depth, DNALand, the plot map, and a coordinate map I guessed on), and am I a 10%, 20%, 25%, etc. of which ethnicities. Apologies for the vomit of information, I'll be extremely grateful for any answers, insight, knowledge, free web sites to try, resources, etc. By the way I’m not sure how to determine haplogroups (how many a person has, what they mean to heritage, how to find out what mine are) and would deeply appreciate websites, information, etc.

Instructions: press the link then scroll down on homepage for pngs to show, press and zoom in, scroll left and right for a collection of information I screenshot on myself. https://myautosomaldnaresultsforanth...eag.weebly.com .

- Emily.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    Null
    mtDNA (M)
    Null

I haven’t looked hard at your results yet, but you may just really be Irish and Italian for all intents and purposes. I prefer 23andme, as ancestryDNA often gives “weird” results. This is not a perfect science yet. Hold off before you start proclaiming to your family you’re “really” this or that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cellachán For This Useful Post:

palamede (07-20-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    Possibly R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a3a1

England North of England Ireland Scotland Germany Romani Star of David
    A lot of Italian people score some West Asian/Caucasian/North African. This is due to both genetic proximity and ancient admix.

GEDmatch oracles often use a particular British ethnicity (eg. Orcadian/English/Welsh/Cornish) as a proxy for generic British Isles ancestry. So for example, on MDLP World my top mixed mode oracle is 92.9% Orcadian + 7.1% Kalash. This is in spite of me having no known Orcadian ancestry. Further down, the oracle says I'm 91% Welsh + 9% Tabassaran. My Welsh ancestry is there, but it's quite small.

Was your paternal grandmother Irish-born or Irish-American whose family spent several generations in the US before her birth? In the latter case, it's extremely likely that she would have English, German or other ethnicities in her family tree.
    Target: mildlycurly_scaled
    Distance: 1.3578% / 0.01357814
    57.0 Irish
    37.6 English
    2.6 Roma_Barcelona
    1.8 Ashkenazi_Germany
    1.0 Roma_Granada

Current research interest(s): The Viscontis of Milan