Poll: What best explains this?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Am I part Yekke?

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

Israel Jerusalem
    Quote Originally Posted by hartaisarlag View Post
    That's important info: I knew very little about Latvian Jewish history. The farthest north any of my ancestry comes from is Mir...

As for Romanian Jews, my impression from reading whatever I can get my hands on is that a substantial majority of Romanian Jewry at the dawn of the mass migration era was in Moldavia, and the vast majority of Moldavian Jews ca. the late 19th century were recent arrivals from Galitzia, Podolia, and Bessarabia.

That said, unlike in Bucharest, where a distinct Sephardic community survived into modern times, the first Jews of Iasi, who were Sephardic, appear not to have maintained a coherent kehila, which means they were probably absorbed. But looking at the exponential growth of the Moldavian Jewish population over the course of the 19th century, it seems likely that the earliest 16th-17th century community would've amounted to just a drop in the bucket.
    It's only really Riga that needs careful attention, as far as I know. As for Sephardic Romanian/Moldavian Jews, there was a thread on the 23andMe reddit, where 2 users with family history of Sephardic ancestry from Budjak (modern day Ukraine, former Moldavia/Bessarabia) thought that 23andMe had confirmed their Sephardic ancestry. Here it is: https://www.reddit.com/r/23andme/com...ults_romanian/

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StillWater For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-22-2019),  Erikl86 (07-22-2019),  hartaisarlag (07-21-2019),  Power77 (07-21-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western Jewish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y6938

I also just want to note that I'm skeptical of these different calculators' ability to reliably indicate a particular "bent" in me. I get very high Red Sea for an Ashkenazi in K13, but relatively low Arabian in K36. Between-group differences might actually mean something if we were working with decently-powered regional samples.
    btw, I would not consider these adequately-powered regional samples, except for maybe the French Jews (n=7). Every other national-level group in Lukasz' analysis is represented by a sample of 2 or 3.
    The clock indicates the momentóbut what does eternity indicate?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hartaisarlag For This Useful Post:

StillWater (07-22-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

Israel Jerusalem
    What I wrote about Riga might apply to most capital cities. Both Warsaw and Kiev had many Litvaks. However, I don't recall any cases of non-Litvaks in Minsk. I think Erickl86 might've written about having non-Litvak family in Vilna.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to StillWater For This Useful Post:

hartaisarlag (07-22-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    H
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a

United States of America
    Related to Agamemnon's father, I ran a bunch of people from Caltanissetta (central region of Sicily) and neighboring parts of Palermo through Eurogenes K15 and I noticed a lot of them receiving small distance to "Italian Jewish" in the Oracle and having that appearing in their top 3. So there is definitely something to it that his father is scoring a close match to people from that region. I also noticed the inland part of the island scoring higher than average Red Sea.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sikeliot For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-26-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western Jewish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y6938

Be that as it may, this is a thread about Ashkenazi genealogy.
    The clock indicates the momentóbut what does eternity indicate?

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

Israel Jerusalem
    Be that as it may, this is a thread about Ashkenazi genealogy.
    We're all Sicilians now.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western Jewish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y6938

Quote Originally Posted by StillWater View Post
    We're all Sicilians now.
    Oy. Nothing against Sicilians, but the conversations bleed together way more often than called for.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    H
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a

United States of America
    Oy. Nothing against Sicilians, but the conversations bleed together way more often than called for.
    I contributed to this in this thread of course (probably against my better judgment so I apologize) but to be fair I didn't bring it up, Agamemnon did. Either way we've moved on.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sikeliot For This Useful Post:

Erikl86 (07-23-2019),  hartaisarlag (07-23-2019),  Targum (08-07-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    English
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a3a1
    Y-DNA (P)
    Possibly R1b

England North of England Ireland Scotland Germany Romani Star of David
    A slightly related question:

A number of my GEDmatch matches are Russian. Having run several of them through the two-to-many tool with myself, the most likely connection is Jewish. Does this mean I have some distant Russian Jewish ancestry? I believe the main source of my Jewish ancestry based on paper trail and DNA matches is from East Germany and likely Poland. How likely would it be that a Russian Jew ended up in Germany or Poland?
    Ethnogene (most accurate so far IMO): Frisian 2.8%, Scottish 19.2%, Welsh 2.4%, English 29.0%, Irish 31.7%, Cornish 1.9%, Irish Traveller 4.0%, French 2.6%, Dutch 1.0%, German 1.8%, Western Indian 1.1%, Central/Southern Ashkenazi 1.0%, Norwegian 1.5%

"In. Year. Out. See ya."- Chris Wilder

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

Israel Jerusalem
    Quote Originally Posted by mildlycurly View Post
    A slightly related question:

A number of my GEDmatch matches are Russian. Having run several of them through the two-to-many tool with myself, the most likely connection is Jewish. Does this mean I have some distant Russian Jewish ancestry? I believe the main source of my Jewish ancestry based on paper trail and DNA matches is from East Germany and likely Poland. How likely would it be that a Russian Jew ended up in Germany or Poland?
    A lot of possibilities are likely here: shared Polish Jewish ancestry, what you suggested etc.
    הִנְנִי֩ מֵבִ֨יא אוֹתָ֜ם מֵאֶ֣רֶץ צָפ֗וֹן

Jeremiah 31

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast