Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unique footage of Krymchaks

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

Israel Jerusalem

Unique footage of Krymchaks

Most are full. Some are part Ashkenazi. Others are part Ukrainian etc. A couple are gentile locals from the neighborhood. From the footage, a lot of them have the surname Lombrozo in their family.

relevant article: https://avotaynuonline.com/2015/06/jews-of-crimea/

I wonder how good a proxy surnames are for their composition of Romaniote, Sephardi, Ashkenazi, and Mizrachi. I don't get why others aren't as interested in them. This is the diaspora of diasporas.
    Last edited by StillWater; 07-21-2019 at 06:32 PM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to StillWater For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-21-2019),  Cellachán (07-22-2019),  Erikl86 (07-21-2019),  jonahst (07-21-2019),  Power77 (07-22-2019),  Seabass (07-22-2019),  Targum (07-22-2019),  Tomenable (07-21-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

Israel Jerusalem
    For those too lazy to read the article, the tentative conclusion of their composition is:

25-40% Sephardi
    25-33% Ashkenazi
    12-25% early/indeterminate/Romaniote
    5-6% Caucasian Jews
    5-6% Persian Jews

If only we had some genetic data.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to StillWater For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-21-2019),  Erikl86 (07-21-2019),  hartaisarlag (07-22-2019),  JerryS. (07-24-2019),  Power77 (07-22-2019),  Targum (07-22-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

Israel Jerusalem
    *Jerome (d. 420; on Zech. 10:11, Obad. 20) heard from Jews that the Jewish settlers by the Bosporus were descended from families exiled by the Assyrians and Babylonians, and from deported warriors of *Bar Kokhba

They truly are the master race.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StillWater For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-21-2019),  hartaisarlag (07-22-2019),  Power77 (07-22-2019),  Targum (07-22-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western Jewish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y6938

Quote Originally Posted by StillWater View Post
    Most are full. Some are part Ashkenazi. Others are part Ukrainian etc. A couple are gentile locals from the neighborhood. From the footage, a lot of them have the surname Lombrozo in their family.

relevant article: https://avotaynuonline.com/2015/06/jews-of-crimea/

I wonder how good a proxy surnames are for their composition of Romaniote, Sephardi, Ashkenazi, and Mizrachi. I don't get why others aren't as interested in them. This is the diaspora of diasporas.
    Lombrozo?!

Researching Tunisian Jews, I ran across that as a Livornese Sephardic name that became prominent in Tunis!
    The clock indicates the moment—but what does eternity indicate?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hartaisarlag For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-22-2019),  Power77 (07-22-2019),  StillWater (07-22-2019),  Targum (07-22-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

Israel Jerusalem
    Quote Originally Posted by hartaisarlag View Post
    Lombrozo?!

Researching Tunisian Jews, I ran across that as a Livornese Sephardic name that became prominent in Tunis!
    Very common amongst them, as is Sephardic ancestry. You should read the article I linked. They also have seemingly Italki names, possibly even some Provencal names.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StillWater For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-22-2019),  Power77 (07-22-2019),  Targum (07-22-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

Israel Jerusalem
    This is so damn riveting, I should make a separate thread about this. Check back, as I'll be editing this post a lot with extra info (90 min video). Some of it I won't be quoting exactly, but paraphrasing, as it's fairly bothersome to find the same bits again:

Crimean Karaite communal representatives are featured on this show. They mention a couple times how they're all half "Karaim", but there might be pure ones amongst, just shy of announcing it. For example, the man with the long beard and long white hair next to the host, surnamed Lebedev, has an ethnic Russian father. Some notable instances:

-The host appears to have Jewish origins, judging by his line of questioning,demeanor during certain topics, and knowledge (atypical for a Russian to instantly recognize a Ketuba and to know that mixing meat and dairy isn't Kosher). Also when one of the Karaim says "We have an expression: '2 Karaim, 3 opinions', the host replies: 'believe me, you're not the only ones/ethnos with that phrase' ". Despite this not being TA, his phenotype also suggests it, but I only bring this up in conjunction with the previous info and because it's relevant to how we see him react to their claims.

-At one point, the host becomes very curious to know about their origins relative to Jews and asks particularly about their DNA. This is where we see a hilarious disagreement emerge. One of them begins to allude to a recent DNA study, almost surely Kevin Brook's. Will be neat if he chimes in on this. And recalls its conclusion being that over 50% of the paternal lineages are Middle Eastern, then the sentence turns abrupt and he seems to say that 10% are Turkic, all the while Lebedev is furiously shaking his head. Lebedev appears to be the main one pushing the theory that they're a Turkic nation, while the rest of the panel seems to either disagree with him fully or partially, as judged by their demeanor and jokes, as opposed to clear comments to the contrary. The speaker then mentions the following, either to please Lebedev or he may genuinely think so: Abraham came from Mesopotamia, which was a melting pot, and that ancient followers of the Torah came out of this melting pot and hence they're of a broadly "Sumerian" ethnos, as opposed to being pigeon holed as "Jewish". Of course, this kind of reasoning would make all modern day Jews non-Jewish and wouldn't only apply to Crimean Karaites. He then talks about the Assyrian/Babylonian exiles and their migrations within West Asia to Central Asia, none of which Lebedev likes, as none of this is native to Crimea. The host isn't fooled by this "broadly Sumerian" nonsense, and requalifies this as a theory of Jewish origin for them, to which, the initial speaker, seemingly panicked, quickly mentions that their maternal lineages might be largely Turkic. Lebedev then has his turn to speak and declares them a fully Turkic nation.

-When the Khazars are brought up, Lebedev and/or other speakers (I have to go back and rewatch it), said that the Jewish Khazars were Karaim. They further went on to mention much of the Crimean Karaite role within the region was based on business and related it to how they interacted with other Khazars, but I forget the details (will mention later).

-A claim was made, that went unchallenged by the panel, and seemingly supported by at least some, that Peter The Great's mother was a Crimean Karaite. Peter's phenotype was brought up as testament to this. This is a startling claim given what Peter said about the Jews, although it can be argued that his identity played a role in that too. This was claimed to be a core reason of why Karaim had allegedly great relations with the Russian Royals. Details were added about Crimean Karaites acting as royal guards, but I snoozed a bit here (will add details later).

-The host asked about Krymchaks. Lebedev, as expected, claimed that Krymchaks simply descend from Crimean Karaites who eventually adopted the Talmud and stresses that they're a pure Turkic nation. He mentions relevant details to this, but I forget them. Tune in later when I add them in.

-The host asks about the typical Karaim phenotype, and of course, they end up inevitably describing a Jew.

I will add/correct details later, but invite other Russian-speakers to contribute to that.
    Last edited by StillWater; 07-22-2019 at 02:16 AM.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to StillWater For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-22-2019),  hartaisarlag (07-22-2019),  JerryS. (07-24-2019),  jonahst (07-22-2019),  Power77 (07-22-2019),  Seabass (07-22-2019),  Targum (07-22-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

Israel Jerusalem
    This is the best thread on the site. It should have a billion replies. Why aren't others interested in the most interesting topic? If Agamemnon doesn't post here, it'll be like him not showing up to his own birthday party.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StillWater For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-22-2019),  hartaisarlag (07-22-2019),  Seabass (07-22-2019),  Targum (07-22-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi Jew
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    H47
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-Y2750

United States of America Israel
    Crimean Karaite communal representatives are featured on this show. They mention a couple times how they're all half "Karaim", but there might be pure ones amongst, just shy of announcing it. For example, the man with the long beard and long white hair next to the host, surnamed Lebedev, has an ethnic Russian father.
    I was actually gonna say, the guy in the thumbnail does not look very Jewish

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jonahst For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-22-2019),  hartaisarlag (07-22-2019),  Power77 (07-22-2019),  Targum (07-22-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

Israel Jerusalem
    Quote Originally Posted by jonahst View Post
    I was actually gonna say, the guy in the thumbnail does not look very Jewish
    I was also puzzled for a while, till he eventually mentioned it.
    Last edited by StillWater; 07-22-2019 at 03:02 AM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StillWater For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-22-2019),  jonahst (07-22-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi Jew
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    H47
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-Y2750

United States of America Israel
    I was also puzzled for a while, till he eventually mentioned it.
    I edited my original comment, haha, I realized my initial statement was a little extreme. There are Jews who look somewhat similar. But he looks much more like Rasputin than Marx.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonahst For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (07-22-2019),  hartaisarlag (07-22-2019),  Power77 (07-22-2019)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast