Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Why eating too much chilli could lead to memory loss

  1. #1
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    4,321
    Sex
    Location
    Calne,England
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

    United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland

    Why eating too much chilli could lead to memory loss

    Chilli lovers who canít get enough of the hot tingle produced by their favourite spicy foods should proceed with caution.

    Although chilli is thought to be effective in battling obesity and hypertension, a new study involving University of South Australia (UniSA) shows that a spicy diet rich in chillies could be linked to memory decline.

    The 15 year-study, published in the journal Nutrients this week, examined the dietary habits and cognitive capacities of almost 5,000 Chinese adults aged between 55 and 71 to determine the impact of long-term chilli consumption on memory.

    After running several cognition tests and evaluating participants' diet, BMI and socioeconomic status, researchers saw that people who ate the most chillies, daily, experienced the biggest drop in memory quality.

    https://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/...ad-memory-loss
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firemonkey For This Useful Post:

     Power77 (07-23-2019),  Robert1 (07-23-2019)

  3. #2
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    4,321
    Sex
    Location
    Calne,England
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

    United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland
    But......


    The Associations between a Capsaicin-Rich Diet and Blood Amyloid-β Levels and Cognitive Function.
    Liu CH, Bu XL, Wang J, Zhang T, Xiang Y, Shen LL, Wang QH, Deng B, Wang X, Zhu C, Yao XQ, Zhang M, Zhou HD, Wang YJ.
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND:

    Capsaicin-rich diets are common worldwide. Capsaicin has been shown to have favorable effects on various diseases including atherosclerosis, cardiovascular diseases, stroke, obesity, hypertension, cancer, and gastrointestinal and inflammatory diseases. The impact of capsaicin on Alzheimer's disease (AD), which is the most common form of dementia in the elderly, remains unknown.
    OBJECTIVE:

    To investigate the correlations of capsaicin intake with cognition and blood markers of AD.
    METHODS:

    A total of 338 participants aged 40 years or older were enrolled from communities. Dietary habits regarding chili pepper consumption were collected using a Food Frequency Questionnaire (FFQ). Cognitive function was measured using the Chinese version of the Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE). Blood amyloid-β (Aβ)40 and Aβ42 were measured with ELISA kits.
    RESULTS:

    In univariate analysis, MMSE scores (r = 0.209, p < 0.001), serum Aβ40 levels (r = -0.149, p = 0.006), the ratio of Aβ42/Aβ40 (r = 0.11, p = 0.043) and total serum Aβ levels (r = -0.097, p = 0.075), but not serum Aβ42 levels (r = 0.17, p = 0.757), were significantly correlated with total capsaicin diet scores. In multivariate analysis, total capsaicin diet scores were positively associated with MMSE scores and inversely associated with serum Aβ40 levels, and total serum Aβ levels, but not serum Aβ42 levels and the ratio of Aβ42/Aβ40, after adjustment for age, gender, educational level, smoking history, alcohol consumption, body mass index (BMI) and comorbidities.
    CONCLUSION:

    These findings suggest that a capsaicin-rich diet may exert favorable effects on AD blood biomarkers and cognitive function in middle-aged and elderly adults.


    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27079706
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firemonkey For This Useful Post:

     Power77 (07-23-2019),  Robert1 (07-23-2019),  Ryukendo (07-23-2019)

  5. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    523
    Sex
    Location
    Northwest USA
    Ethnicity
    British & Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>L513>A7> BY11186
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1f
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b
    mtDNA (P)
    J2b1

    Scotland Wales Ireland England Germany Netherlands
    Uh oh, guess I'm in trouble. I eat lots of spicy food, lots of hot chili pepper sauce. Yesterday I went to Chipotle for large burrito with a double shot of hot sauce. Had that wonderful warm burn in my stomach all afternoon.

    Maybe my 71 year-old brain is demented after 60+ years of hot spicy food but it keeps saying more, more, more!
     
    Estimated ancestry after reviewing Ancestry.com, 23&Me, FTDNA My Origins, Living DNA and known family history:
    33% English, 27% Scottish, 18% Welsh, 18% Irish, 4% German/Netherlands

    Y-DNA leads to Isle of Skye, Scottish Highlands: R1b>M343>L278>L754>L389>P297>M269>L23>L51>L151/L11>P312>Z290>L21/M529>DF13>L513/DF1>S5668>A7>Z21253> S7834 > S7828 > BY11203 > BY11186 (about 320-550 years old)

    MTDNA leads to Glamorgan, South Wales: K1a4a1f

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robert1 For This Useful Post:

     MikeWhalen (07-23-2019),  Power77 (07-23-2019),  rms2 (07-23-2019)

  7. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    523
    Sex
    Location
    Northwest USA
    Ethnicity
    British & Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b>L513>A7> BY11186
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1f
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b
    mtDNA (P)
    J2b1

    Scotland Wales Ireland England Germany Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey View Post
    But......


    The Associations between a Capsaicin-Rich Diet and Blood Amyloid-β Levels and Cognitive Function.
    Liu CH, Bu XL, Wang J, Zhang T, Xiang Y, Shen LL, Wang QH, Deng B, Wang X, Zhu C, Yao XQ, Zhang M, Zhou HD, Wang YJ.
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND:

    Capsaicin-rich diets are common worldwide. Capsaicin has been shown to have favorable effects on various diseases including atherosclerosis, cardiovascular diseases, stroke, obesity, hypertension, cancer, and gastrointestinal and inflammatory diseases. The impact of capsaicin on Alzheimer's disease (AD), which is the most common form of dementia in the elderly, remains unknown.
    OBJECTIVE:

    To investigate the correlations of capsaicin intake with cognition and blood markers of AD.
    METHODS:

    A total of 338 participants aged 40 years or older were enrolled from communities. Dietary habits regarding chili pepper consumption were collected using a Food Frequency Questionnaire (FFQ). Cognitive function was measured using the Chinese version of the Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE). Blood amyloid-β (Aβ)40 and Aβ42 were measured with ELISA kits.
    RESULTS:

    In univariate analysis, MMSE scores (r = 0.209, p < 0.001), serum Aβ40 levels (r = -0.149, p = 0.006), the ratio of Aβ42/Aβ40 (r = 0.11, p = 0.043) and total serum Aβ levels (r = -0.097, p = 0.075), but not serum Aβ42 levels (r = 0.17, p = 0.757), were significantly correlated with total capsaicin diet scores. In multivariate analysis, total capsaicin diet scores were positively associated with MMSE scores and inversely associated with serum Aβ40 levels, and total serum Aβ levels, but not serum Aβ42 levels and the ratio of Aβ42/Aβ40, after adjustment for age, gender, educational level, smoking history, alcohol consumption, body mass index (BMI) and comorbidities.
    CONCLUSION:

    These findings suggest that a capsaicin-rich diet may exert favorable effects on AD blood biomarkers and cognitive function in middle-aged and elderly adults.


    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27079706
    Ah you posted that as I was submitting my comment. I like that study much better! Honestly the Australian study didn't worry me much because after 60+ years of hot chili consumption I can't see ill effects.
     
    Estimated ancestry after reviewing Ancestry.com, 23&Me, FTDNA My Origins, Living DNA and known family history:
    33% English, 27% Scottish, 18% Welsh, 18% Irish, 4% German/Netherlands

    Y-DNA leads to Isle of Skye, Scottish Highlands: R1b>M343>L278>L754>L389>P297>M269>L23>L51>L151/L11>P312>Z290>L21/M529>DF13>L513/DF1>S5668>A7>Z21253> S7834 > S7828 > BY11203 > BY11186 (about 320-550 years old)

    MTDNA leads to Glamorgan, South Wales: K1a4a1f

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robert1 For This Useful Post:

     Power77 (07-23-2019),  rms2 (07-23-2019),  Targum (07-23-2019)

  9. #5
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,051
    Sex
    Location
    UK
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2e

    European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert1 View Post
    Uh oh, guess I'm in trouble. I eat lots of spicy food, lots of hot chili pepper sauce. Yesterday I went to Chipotle for large burrito with a double shot of hot sauce. Had that wonderful warm burn in my stomach all afternoon.

    Maybe my 71 year-old brain is demented after 60+ years of hot spicy food but it keeps saying more, more, more!
    I've a pepper pot containing ghost chilli powder and oil flavored with the same which I use to pep up my wife's currys, she tries her best but can only really struggle by with mildly spiced food : )

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdean For This Useful Post:

     Power77 (07-23-2019),  rms2 (07-23-2019)

  11. #6
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    4,321
    Sex
    Location
    Calne,England
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

    United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland
    Spicy is fine, but I'd never win a "Who can eat the hottest chilli?" contest. A Madras curry is pushing it for me.
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to firemonkey For This Useful Post:

     jdean (07-23-2019),  Power77 (07-23-2019),  rms2 (07-23-2019),  Robert1 (07-24-2019)

  13. #7
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,051
    Sex
    Location
    UK
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2e

    European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey View Post
    Spicy is fine, but I'd never win a "Who can eat the hottest chilli?" contest. A Madras curry is pushing it for me.
    My father and I once went for a curry with a cousin and his father (my father's brother) who ordered a korma, apparently he'd been going to curry houses since they opened in the area (probably early 60's) but had never managed to get past the mildest of mild, however it turned out that this particular one was a bit hotter than normal and try as he might (even adding yogurt and drinking great big glugs of water) he just couldn't eat it and had sweat running down his brow.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdean For This Useful Post:

     Power77 (07-23-2019),  rms2 (07-23-2019)

  15. #8
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    4,321
    Sex
    Location
    Calne,England
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

    United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland
    I usually have a korma . IMO, others mileage might differ, korma's were a better quality in the 70s and early 80s. It might be different for other curries.
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to firemonkey For This Useful Post:

     jdean (07-23-2019)

  17. #9
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,051
    Sex
    Location
    UK
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2e

    European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey View Post
    I usually have a korma . IMO, others mileage might differ, korma's were a better quality in the 70s and early 80s. It might be different for other curries.
    What I really miss is Bombay Duck, even after the ban was lifted non of the curry houses put it back on the menu and I can understand why, I tried cooking it at home once and the smell was absolutely appalling : )

  18. #10
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    4,321
    Sex
    Location
    Calne,England
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

    United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland
    I never liked Bombay duck.
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Eating egg yolks healthy or not?
    By utR! in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 08-13-2018, 11:08 PM
  2. The Earliest Lead Object in the Levant
    By Agamemnon in forum Archaeology (Prehistory)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2015, 02:27 AM
  3. Eating nuts 'may prolong life'
    By Clinton P in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-22-2014, 08:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •