Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: My Ethnogene Results

  1. #21
    Registered Users
    Posts
    511
    Sex
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Ethnicity
    Pakistani - Potohar
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2-FGC61415
    mtDNA (M)
    W1c4
    mtDNA (P)
    M5a2a1a1

    Pakistan United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by bol_nat View Post
    They even break down punjab in different regions, looks pretty accurate. Getting pathan, sindhi etc doesn't mean recent ancestry though.
    I thought punjabi consisted of different admixture than ethnic? Arent we only connected by linguistic? I dont know what their definition if punjabi is... punjabi are known as the people of punjab. Look at gedmatch breaks it down that kind of admix would make more sense then ethno to me personally unless ofcourse i am missing out then someone can let me know....
    Gedmatch Kits:
    MJ1661095 Myheritage
    JZ1078191 Ancestry
    HN6848975 23andme

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber29 For This Useful Post:

     laltota (08-16-2019)

  3. #22
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,801
    Sex
    Location
    NorCal
    Ethnicity
    Jatt Sikh
    Nationality
    American & Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-M357 > Z5921
    mtDNA (M)
    HV2a3
    Y-DNA (M)
    L-M27
    mtDNA (P)
    R0

    United States of America California Republic Canada India Punjab Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    I’m curious how different their Lahore/Faisalabad, Gujaranwala/Chakwal and Eastern Punjab/Mansa samples are. Depending on biradaris or even SC used, they could differ quite a bit. Do they have a breakdown of how their reference pops score?

    They should be more specific on what kind of Punjabis and Pashtuns they use. Sindhis are a more homogeneous population than both.
    Last edited by Sapporo; 08-15-2019 at 06:54 PM.
    pegasus modeling:
    sample": "Punjabi_Jat:Sapporo_AGUser",
    "fit": 1.1506,
    "IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3": 43.33,
    "TKM_Gonur1_BA": 31.67,
    "RUS_Sintashta_MLBA": 25,
    "closestDistances": [

    avatar credit goes out to aaronbee2010

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapporo For This Useful Post:

     Amber29 (08-15-2019),  laltota (08-16-2019)

  5. #23
    Registered Users
    Posts
    11
    Sex

    Got my son's results and it was incredibly accurate. Found all his known ancestry--my European/Mediterranean, Azeri, Iranian, Arab and West African. Only thing not included is Swiss but that is one male line during slavery days and it looks like got mixed into his Northern Italy. His other European slave days ancestry distinct from my European is represented.

    Screenshot_20190814-183550.png

  6. #24
    Registered Users
    Posts
    511
    Sex
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Ethnicity
    Pakistani - Potohar
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2-FGC61415
    mtDNA (M)
    W1c4
    mtDNA (P)
    M5a2a1a1

    Pakistan United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by clocknative View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I recently upload my Living DNA results onto Ethnogene to see what results I would get. I was really surprised by the regions which they gave me for Punjab because they seemed really accurate. Looking at the results it seems as though gujjars were nomads in Afghanistan and the Pakistan areas, let me know what you guys think.

    Trace Populations:

    - These are the trace populations which were not considered as they were less than one percent.

    Trace
    Ethnicity
    Uttar
    Pradesh
    Kannada Uzbek Nepalese Koli Kashmiri
    Percentage
    (%)
    0.92 0.51 0.42 0.56 0.99 0.99


    Specific Ancestry Estimates:

    - After analysing your DNA, we determined that you most closely fall under the following populations:Attachment 32010


    Further Breakdown:

    - This is a table which gives a further breakdown of each of the ethnicities and what areas they are found in.

    Overall Region
    Ethnicity
    Sub-Regional Population
    Percentage
    South Asia
    Punjabi
    Gujranwala, Chakwal
    39.4%
    South Asia
    Sindhi
    Pakistan (Sindh)
    27.2%
    South Asia
    Pathan
    Afghanistan (Ghazni,
    Kandahar), Pakistan
    (Northwest)
    19.8%
    Central Asia
    Pamiri
    Eastern Tajikistan
    3.5%
    South Asia
    Bhil
    Gujarat
    1.7%
    South Asia
    Gujarati
    Western India, Gujarat
    (Amreli, Navsari)
    1.5%
    South Asia
    Rajasthani
    Central Rajasthan
    1.2%
    Central Asia
    Hazara
    Afghanistan (Hazarajat)
    1.0%
    Middle East
    Iranian
    Eastern Iran
    3.7%
    Central Asia
    Aimaq
    Afghanistan (Ghor)
    1.0%
    Lol im from chakwal district ,score similar your gedmatch but with 3/4% neeuro.. and slight lower caucasian but my mother scores similar to you just maybe abit more n e euro if i remembered right but i dont get chakwal 😭..but the distant to chakwal and gujranwala is two different cities apart lol hmmmmm
    Gedmatch Kits:
    MJ1661095 Myheritage
    JZ1078191 Ancestry
    HN6848975 23andme

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amber29 For This Useful Post:

     clocknative (08-16-2019),  laltota (08-16-2019),  tipirneni (08-16-2019)

  8. #25
    Registered Users
    Posts
    11
    Sex

    @amber29 I'm still waiting on mine but I'm excited to see if anything different pops up other than what I know about my family's history already and I wonder if any Indian groups will be shown. The genetics of Punjab should be some what uniform? It straddles both India and Pak but isn't too large relative to other world regions like the Maghreb or a country like KSA. There's probably some directional geographic differentiation from North to South and east to west but the Punjabi regions you got on the map are super close together (190km?). If anything it looks like you mainly have the genetics of a northern punjabi w/ a smattering of smaller historical contributions from other groups. There's this blog post I found which may be of some interest, theres some clear differentiation between the different South Asian groups with punjabis being similar : http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gn.../#.XVYR85kpB-E
    Last edited by Dizos9; 08-16-2019 at 02:18 AM.

  9. #26
    Registered Users
    Posts
    511
    Sex
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Ethnicity
    Pakistani - Potohar
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2-FGC61415
    mtDNA (M)
    W1c4
    mtDNA (P)
    M5a2a1a1

    Pakistan United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizos9 View Post
    @amber29 I'm still waiting on mine but I'm excited to see if anything different pops up other than what I know about my family's history already and I wonder if any Indian groups will be shown. The genetics of Punjab should be some what uniform? It straddles both India and Pak but isn't too large relative to other world regions like the Maghreb or a country like KSA. There's probably some directional geographic differentiation from North to South and east to west but the Punjabi regions you got on the map are super close together (190km?). If anything it looks like you mainly have the genetics of a northern punjabi w/ a smattering of smaller historical contributions from other groups. There's this blog post I found which may be of some interest, theres some clear differentiation between the different South Asian groups with punjabis being similar : http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gn.../#.XVYR85kpB-E
    Yes i do have other stuff from other groups i did think this. Just would have been nice to get the city of where i was born ha. Learnt there has been some serious mixing in the family....
    Gedmatch Kits:
    MJ1661095 Myheritage
    JZ1078191 Ancestry
    HN6848975 23andme

  10. #27
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,801
    Sex
    Location
    NorCal
    Ethnicity
    Jatt Sikh
    Nationality
    American & Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-M357 > Z5921
    mtDNA (M)
    HV2a3
    Y-DNA (M)
    L-M27
    mtDNA (P)
    R0

    United States of America California Republic Canada India Punjab Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizos9 View Post
    The genetics of Punjab should be some what uniform? It straddles both India and Pak but isn't too large relative to other world regions like the Maghreb or a country like KSA. There's probably some directional geographic differentiation from North to South and east to west but the Punjabi regions you got on the map are super close together (190km?). If anything it looks like you mainly have the genetics of a northern punjabi w/ a smattering of smaller historical contributions from other groups.
    It is anything but uniform. Punjab spans the genetic range of the entire subcontinent. There are Punjabis that cluster with South Indians and others that cluster near Northern Pashtuns/Kalash/Kohistani with some in between. The variation is based primarily on biradari/tribe vs scheduled (lower) caste types with a group similar to UP upper castes and some Punjabi Chamars in between.

    Also, Razib has much more recent posts regarding South Asia than the outdated 2011 page you linked:

    http://www.brownpundits.com/2018/06/...ions-on-caste/

    https://www.brownpundits.com/2018/12...rom-scythians/

    https://www.brownpundits.com/2019/01...c-forefathers/

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasP View Post
    There's loads of people who claim it's the most accurate test on the Autosomal (auDNA) forum. It wasn't as accurate for me either.
    Self-confirmation bias. Anyways, it's not that the test isn't accurate. It just has trouble sorting through overlapping populations when modeling an individual. For example, it would probably have trouble determining who is who with a sample of random Sindhi, Punjabi (biradaris) and Kashmiris (from the Valley).

    I love that they have 3 sets of Punjabi samples but they don't even bother modeling them to show how/whether they differ. Punjab is far too diverse genetically for the city alone to have any significance.
    Last edited by Sapporo; 08-16-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    pegasus modeling:
    sample": "Punjabi_Jat:Sapporo_AGUser",
    "fit": 1.1506,
    "IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3": 43.33,
    "TKM_Gonur1_BA": 31.67,
    "RUS_Sintashta_MLBA": 25,
    "closestDistances": [

    avatar credit goes out to aaronbee2010

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sapporo For This Useful Post:

     clocknative (08-16-2019),  digital_noise (08-19-2019),  laltota (08-16-2019),  MonkeyDLuffy (08-16-2019)

  12. #28
    Registered Users
    Posts
    917
    Sex
    Location
    Loe Banr
    Y-DNA (P)
    H-M52
    mtDNA (M)
    M5a

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapporo View Post
    I’m curious how different their Lahore/Faisalabad, Gujaranwala/Chakwal and Eastern Punjab/Mansa samples are. Depending on biradaris or even SC used, they could differ quite a bit. Do they have a breakdown of how their reference pops score?

    They should be more specific on what kind of Punjabis and Pashtuns they use. Sindhis are a more homogeneous population than both.
    I doubt they are using SC punjabis because otherwise amber, raza and clock results wouldn't show "punjabi" on top. Apparantly they have huge list of south asian reference population. I wonder from where they got this from? HarappaDNA?

    Asur (India)
    Bangladeshi
    Balochi
    Bene Israeli Jewish
    Bengali
    Bengali-Brahmin
    Bhatia
    Bhil
    Bhunjia
    Bihari
    Bihari-Brahmin
    Bihari-Muslim
    Bnei Menashe Jewish
    Bonda (India)
    Brahmin-Tamil Nadu
    Brahmin-Uttar Pradesh
    Brahmin-Uttaranchal
    Brahui (Baluchistan)
    Burusho
    Caribbean-Indian
    Chamar
    Chenchu (India)
    Cochin Jewish
    Dharkar
    Dusadh
    Goan
    Gond
    Great Andamanese
    Gujarati
    Gujarati-Muslim
    Gujarati-Patel
    Hakkipikki
    Haryana-Jatt
    Indian-Andhra Pradesh
    Indian-Bihari
    Indian-Gujarati
    Indian-Haryana
    Indian-Kannada
    Indian-Kashmiri
    Indian-North
    Indian-Punjabi
    Indian-South
    Indian-Tamil
    Indian-Telugu
    Irula
    Iyengar-Brahmin
    Iyer-Brahmin
    Juang
    Kalash
    Kamsali
    Kanjar
    Karnataka
    Karnataka-Brahmin
    Kashmiri
    Kashmiri-Pahari
    Kashmiri-Pandit
    Kerala
    Kerala-Brahmin
    Kerala-Christian
    Kerala-Muslim
    Kerala-Nair
    Kharia
    Khasi
    Kol
    Kshatriya
    Kurumba
    Lambadi
    Lodi (Pashtun tribe)
    Madiga
    Maharashtrian
    Makrani
    Mala
    Mawasi (India)
    Meena
    Meghawal
    Naga
    Naidu
    Nepalese
    Nihali (West/Central India)
    North Kannadi
    Nysha (Northeast India)
    Onge (Andaman Islands)
    Oriya
    Pakistani
    Paniya (Kerala)
    Pathan
    Piramalai
    Piramalai-Kallar
    Pulliyar
    Punjabi
    Punjabi Jatt
    Punjabi-Arain
    Punjabi-Brahmin
    Punjabi-Jatt-Muslim
    Punjabi-Jatt-Sikh
    Punjabi-Khatri
    Punjabi-Ramgarhia
    Pushtikar Brahmin
    Rajasthani
    Rajasthani Brahmin
    Sakilli (India)
    Santhal (India)
    Savara
    Siddi
    Sindhi
    Sinhalese
    Sri lankan
    Srivastava
    Tamil
    Tamil Nadu - Brahmin
    Tamil Nadu- Dalit
    Tamil Nadu- Scheduled Caste
    Tamil-Nadar
    Tamil-Vellalar
    Tamil-Vishwakarma
    Tamil_Nadu
    Telugu
    Urkarah
    Uttar Pradesh
    Uttar Pradesh- Brahmin
    Uttar Pradesh- Kshatriya
    Uttar Pradesh- Muslim
    Uttar Pradesh- Scheduled-caste
    Vaish
    Velama
    Vysya

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to bol_nat For This Useful Post:

     Sapporo (08-17-2019)

  14. #29
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,575
    Sex
    Location
    America
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

    England Italy Germany Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by bol_nat View Post
    I doubt they are using SC punjabis because otherwise amber, raza and clock results wouldn't show "punjabi" on top. Apparantly they have huge list of south asian reference population. I wonder from where they got this from? HarappaDNA?

    Asur (India)
    Bangladeshi
    Balochi
    Bene Israeli Jewish
    Bengali
    Bengali-Brahmin
    Bhatia
    Bhil
    Bhunjia
    Bihari
    Bihari-Brahmin
    Bihari-Muslim
    Bnei Menashe Jewish
    Bonda (India)
    Brahmin-Tamil Nadu
    Brahmin-Uttar Pradesh
    Brahmin-Uttaranchal
    Brahui (Baluchistan)
    Burusho
    Caribbean-Indian
    Chamar
    Chenchu (India)
    Cochin Jewish
    Dharkar
    Dusadh
    Goan
    Gond
    Great Andamanese
    Gujarati
    Gujarati-Muslim
    Gujarati-Patel
    Hakkipikki
    Haryana-Jatt
    Indian-Andhra Pradesh
    Indian-Bihari
    Indian-Gujarati
    Indian-Haryana
    Indian-Kannada
    Indian-Kashmiri
    Indian-North
    Indian-Punjabi
    Indian-South
    Indian-Tamil
    Indian-Telugu
    Irula
    Iyengar-Brahmin
    Iyer-Brahmin
    Juang
    Kalash
    Kamsali
    Kanjar
    Karnataka
    Karnataka-Brahmin
    Kashmiri
    Kashmiri-Pahari
    Kashmiri-Pandit
    Kerala
    Kerala-Brahmin
    Kerala-Christian
    Kerala-Muslim
    Kerala-Nair
    Kharia
    Khasi
    Kol
    Kshatriya
    Kurumba
    Lambadi
    Lodi (Pashtun tribe)
    Madiga
    Maharashtrian
    Makrani
    Mala
    Mawasi (India)
    Meena
    Meghawal
    Naga
    Naidu
    Nepalese
    Nihali (West/Central India)
    North Kannadi
    Nysha (Northeast India)
    Onge (Andaman Islands)
    Oriya
    Pakistani
    Paniya (Kerala)
    Pathan
    Piramalai
    Piramalai-Kallar
    Pulliyar
    Punjabi
    Punjabi Jatt
    Punjabi-Arain
    Punjabi-Brahmin
    Punjabi-Jatt-Muslim
    Punjabi-Jatt-Sikh
    Punjabi-Khatri
    Punjabi-Ramgarhia
    Pushtikar Brahmin
    Rajasthani
    Rajasthani Brahmin
    Sakilli (India)
    Santhal (India)
    Savara
    Siddi
    Sindhi
    Sinhalese
    Sri lankan
    Srivastava
    Tamil
    Tamil Nadu - Brahmin
    Tamil Nadu- Dalit
    Tamil Nadu- Scheduled Caste
    Tamil-Nadar
    Tamil-Vellalar
    Tamil-Vishwakarma
    Tamil_Nadu
    Telugu
    Urkarah
    Uttar Pradesh
    Uttar Pradesh- Brahmin
    Uttar Pradesh- Kshatriya
    Uttar Pradesh- Muslim
    Uttar Pradesh- Scheduled-caste
    Vaish
    Velama
    Vysya
    copied from another thread...…

    It says on their FAQ the following:

    "To form the data set for our reference panel, we have used data from several sources which include the Human Genome Diversity Project, the Pan Asian SNP Consortium, the Population Reference Sample data set, the 1000 Genomes Project, the International HapMap project, and our own customer outreach program which adds consenting individuals with a deep regional history in a particular region to the reference data set."

  15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JerryS. For This Useful Post:

     Amber29 (08-16-2019),  bol_nat (08-16-2019),  MonkeyDLuffy (08-16-2019),  Sapporo (08-16-2019)

  16. #30
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,801
    Sex
    Location
    NorCal
    Ethnicity
    Jatt Sikh
    Nationality
    American & Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-M357 > Z5921
    mtDNA (M)
    HV2a3
    Y-DNA (M)
    L-M27
    mtDNA (P)
    R0

    United States of America California Republic Canada India Punjab Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by bol_nat View Post
    I doubt they are using SC punjabis because otherwise amber, raza and clock results wouldn't show "punjabi" on top. Apparantly they have huge list of south asian reference population. I wonder from where they got this from? HarappaDNA?
    Fair enough. I don't think they would use them as the base population but I'm curious what the Indian-Punjabi samples are like versus the Punjabi Jatt (Muslim & Sikh mixed?) and Jatt Sikh.

    I kind of want to take the test now and see which Punjabi reference pop I get (probably Mansa/East Punjab) but who knows.
    pegasus modeling:
    sample": "Punjabi_Jat:Sapporo_AGUser",
    "fit": 1.1506,
    "IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3": 43.33,
    "TKM_Gonur1_BA": 31.67,
    "RUS_Sintashta_MLBA": 25,
    "closestDistances": [

    avatar credit goes out to aaronbee2010

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ethnogene results
    By galon07 in forum Autosomal (auDNA)
    Replies: 769
    Last Post: 09-16-2019, 08:16 AM
  2. Ethnogene Results
    By jortita in forum Southern
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-27-2019, 07:52 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-19-2019, 04:12 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2018, 01:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •