Thread: Does this 23andme result make sense for half Palestinian, half Dutch?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United States of America

Does this 23andme result make sense for half Palestinian, half Dutch?

Why is only 25% MENA being scored?

This is for Gigi Hadid, whose father is Palestinian and mother is Dutch.

Where is the Italian coming from?

Registered Users
    Sex

I'm half English, half Sephardic and get 20% Western Asian & North African, so her results are probably way off! How old are her results? Perhaps the Italian will be minimised soon.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Seabass For This Useful Post:

Power77 (07-27-2019)

Sex

23andMe (and other companies such as Ancestry) often used to generate spurious figures for Southern European (especially Italian) ancestry where one parent was Armenian, Lebanese, etc., and the other was English, etc. The results would essentially split the difference: one-third (for example) might be broadly correct for one side of the family, one-third could be broadly correct for the other side of the family, but one third would be in-between, meaning Southern European (often categorized as Italian). At 23andMe, when a parent phased with a child, the results were dramatically improved--a half-Armenian person could go from 30% Italian to 1%. The December 2018 23andMe update dramatically improved results (especially unphased results), so the "Italian" might drop by 95% or more. The West Asian might go from less than 10% (in an extreme case) to almost 50% after the December update. The results for some half-Northern European, half-Near Eastern people are now almost perfect on a continental level--e.g., 49% or 50%. Similarly, the Ancestry update that came out earlier this year greatly improved its results for such people. By the way, I'm using Northern Europe as an example, but I remember reading comments a few years ago by a Greek who was half Pontic Greek that a big chunk of his DNA was spuriously categorized as "Italian." Sites like DNA.land still have the large spurious Southern European percentages, as far as I can tell.

Given this, if these are post-December results for Gigi Hadid, this is disappointing. The small amount of Northern European suggests that the results are again "splitting the difference" between North and South; this doesn't seem to be a case where a parent is actually half Italian, etc. I would hope these results would clear up in the future, as Seabass suggests.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dee Ena For This Useful Post:

Claudio (07-27-2019),  talombo (07-27-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z2103>R-Y155609
    mtDNA (M)
    W6

Greece
    From my anecdotal experience (I bought kits from FTDNA, Myheritage, Ancestry, 23andme) as a Southern Euro/Caucasus, only myheritage got the ancestry bit right, in relation to my knowledge of my own heritage and the Gedmatch calculators. All the other companies seem to fluctuate wildly and all over the place (especially 23andme) depending on which update they are using.

For example, 23andme used to get my Trabzon ancestry right, but with the new update it switched over to showing me as Cypriot (which is also now included in the W.Asia category). So make of it what you will.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dosas For This Useful Post:

Power77 (07-27-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic + Italo-Celt
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2 / R1b-U152
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a1

Sweden Italy Italy 1861-1946 Sami Vatican
    The Italian is a midpoint between Palestinian and Dutch. That's the reason.
    They where not able to pick apart totally.
    Hidden Content

Eurogenes K13 Mixed Mode Population Sharing:
    1. 63.1% Swedish + 36.9% Spanish_Andalucia @ 2.93

Dodecad K12b
    7. 66.4% Norwegian + 33.6% TSI30 (Metspalu) @ 3.24
    9. 60.6% Norwegian + 39.4% N_Italian @ 3.32

[1] "distance%=4.0727"
    Nino_scaled

FARMERS-Balkans_Neolithic,42
    STEPPE-Eneolithic,35.8
    HUNTERS-WHG,16.6
    HUNTERS-West_Siberia_Neolithic,5
    EAST-ASIATIC_Neolithic,0.4

IBEROMAURUSIAN,0.2

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nino90 For This Useful Post:

Power77 (07-27-2019)

Registered Users

Where did you find this result?
    Looking at the layout itís just an old 23andMe result.
    I doubt Gigi Hadid would score these results on a modern V5 chip 23andMe test.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    Possibly R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a3a1

England North of England Ireland Scotland Germany Romani Star of David
    I would have expected high levels of Italian in a Palestinian Christian, but her father is Muslim as far as I'm aware.

Bizarre.
    Ethnogene (most accurate so far IMO): Frisian 2.8%, Scottish 19.2%, Welsh 2.4%, English 29.0%, Irish 31.7%, Cornish 1.9%, Irish Traveller 4.0%, French 2.6%, Dutch 1.0%, German 1.8%, Western Indian 1.1%, Central/Southern Ashkenazi 1.0%, Norwegian 1.5%

Interests: Population genetics (especially pertaining to Romani and Jewish populations and the intersections between them), making music, making art, writing, Sheffield United FC.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1b-PH908
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1

Serbia Croatia Split-Dalmatia England Scotland France Greece
    I suspect her beta results will look completely different as 23andme have radically improved things with mena/NA populations. For example, I saw a berbers 23andme results recently, pre beta he scores 25% southern Euro, post beta none at all. I'm sure something similar will happen for levantines who can often score odd amounts of European with 23andme