Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somebody has my DNA on GEDMatch?

Arrow Somebody has my DNA on GEDMatch?

hey all i am really new to all this DNA stuff.. and I really need some help but dont really know where to ask so i apologize if this is the wrong place. Anyways, recently, i uploaded my 23andme DNA raw data file to GEDmatch and this was the result:

I seem to have almost a perfect match with the sample at the top of the list and I dont know how it got there. (I dont really know much about matching DNA but from the little research I have done, it can only be my DNA or my parents)

I never gave out my DNA in any research situations and I dont have any twin siblings or anything. Nobody in my immediate family has also done any of these tests to my knowledge.

So I googled the email listed and I found these forums....do you guys know any way that my DNA could have gotten on there?

Is there any way I can get this person to remove sample from GEDmatch? (for privacy reasons) Will it be on other online DNA databases?

Thank you for all your help
    Last edited by Táltos; 08-06-2019 at 05:49 PM. Reason: removed potential compromising details

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z295*
    mtDNA (M)
    U2e1j

I have no answer for you, but I suspect something may be wrong with the kit showing as a match to you. Running that kit through the DNA file diagnostic utility on gedmatch shows a warning at the bottom warning of potential problems processing the kit that does not appear with (what I assume is) your kit (based on the kit showing as a strong match to this one).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    Possibly R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a3a1

England North of England Ireland Scotland Germany Romani Star of David
    This user is Chinese and so might have used the 23mofang test. 23mofang has been identified as potentially problematic by GEDmatch, and they're working on algorithms to filter out false 23mofang matches. I get some 23mofang in my relatives list and I have no Chinese ancestry whatsoever!
    Ethnogene (most accurate so far IMO): Frisian 2.8%, Scottish 19.2%, Welsh 2.4%, English 29.0%, Irish 31.7%, Cornish 1.9%, Irish Traveller 4.0%, French 2.6%, Dutch 1.0%, German 1.8%, Western Indian 1.1%, Central/Southern Ashkenazi 1.0%, Norwegian 1.5%

Interests: Population genetics (especially pertaining to Romani and Jewish populations and the intersections between them), making music, making art, writing, Sheffield United FC.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mildlycurly For This Useful Post:

fuzzydvd (08-06-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    It looks like a parent (or twin of a parent) or child or perhaps (unusual) a sibling (not twin). If that's not possible, I think the problematic test identified by mildlycurly might be the answer.
    Last edited by msmarjoribanks; 08-05-2019 at 02:06 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

fuzzydvd (08-06-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y7
    mtDNA (M)
    R30a1c
    Y-DNA (M)
    L-M357
    mtDNA (P)
    J1b1a1

It appears that kit may be either your parents or children . I think it is an academic sample uploaded by one of our forum member khanabadoshi . Probably from this paper .
    https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0125676

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BMG For This Useful Post:

fuzzydvd (08-06-2019)

Hmmm i dont think it is a problematic sample because it the name of the test also contains my last name.

I dont have any Children. So does that mean it just about has to be one of my parents somehow?

Sex

India
    It looks like parents (or twins from parents) or children or maybe (unusual) siblings (not twins). If that is not possible, I think the problematic test identified by mildlycurly might be the answer.
    Mobile Application Development Company In Bangalore

11. The Following User Says Thank You to swapna8 For This Useful Post:

fuzzydvd (08-06-2019)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA (M)
    A8a

Pakistan United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzydvd View Post
    hey all i am really new to all this DNA stuff.. and I really need some help but dont really know where to ask so i apologize if this is the wrong place. Anyways, recently, i uploaded my 23andme DNA raw data file to GEDmatch and this was the result:

Attachment 32159

I seem to have almost a perfect match with the sample at the top of the list and I dont know how it got there. (I dont really know much about matching DNA but from the little research I have done, it can only be my DNA or my parents)

I never gave out my DNA in any research situations and I dont have any twin siblings or anything. Nobody in my immediate family has also done any of these tests to my knowledge.

So I googled the email listed and I found these forums....do you guys know any way that my DNA could have gotten on there?

Is there any way I can get this person to remove sample from GEDmatch? (for privacy reasons) Will it be on other online DNA databases?

Thank you for all your help
    This kit is your kit, assuming you are the person who recently e-mailed me as well... I have replied to your e-mail with the details and removed the kit. Sorry for the confusion it has caused.
    Some time ago you e-mailed me your kit and we looked into if you had some slight South Asian or SE Asian ancestry. Hopefully, that jogs your memory. Your kit is not on any other website nor is your raw data floating anywhere. The kit was made accidently public for one-to-one and one-to-many comparisons recently on Gedmatch by myself. Thanks to Reza for alerting me to this thread.
    Last edited by khanabadoshi; 08-05-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    “Chahar chez est tohfay Multan, Gard-o- Garma, Gada-o- Goristan”.

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

BMG (08-06-2019),  fuzzydvd (08-06-2019),  Kulin (08-06-2019),  parasar (08-06-2019),  Sapporo (08-05-2019),  spruithean (08-05-2019)

ok problem fixed. thanks for the email. lol, making me look real stupid smh

15. The Following User Says Thank You to fuzzydvd For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (08-06-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Jewish

Israel Jerusalem
    Quote Originally Posted by khanabadoshi View Post
    This kit is your kit, assuming you are the person who recently e-mailed me as well... I have replied to your e-mail with the details and removed the kit. Sorry for the confusion it has caused.
    Some time ago you e-mailed me your kit and we looked into if you had some slight South Asian or SE Asian ancestry. Hopefully, that jogs your memory. Your kit is not on any other website nor is your raw data floating anywhere. The kit was made accidently public for one-to-one and one-to-many comparisons recently on Gedmatch by myself. Thanks to Reza for alerting me to this thread.
    Wouldn't he share a larger segment with himself than 150cm? I share a larger segment with my mom. Could be that uploads to Gedmatch vary this much. I'm betting you uploaded an immediate relative and not him.
    הִנְנִי֩ מֵבִ֨יא אוֹתָ֜ם מֵאֶ֣רֶץ צָפ֗וֹן

Jeremiah 31

17. The Following User Says Thank You to StillWater For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (08-06-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast