Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Albanian Tribe/Region Reši

Registered Users
    Sex

Albanian Tribe/Region Reši

I am curious about the status of the Albanian tribe or region of Reši of MalŰsia e Madhe in the ShkodŰr area. Some sources seem to say that Reši is a tribe of polyphyletic origin while another source says that Reši is not truly a tribe and is more of a region. Robert Elsie in his book entitled ''The Tribes of Albania'' describes Reši as a tribe but notes that they seem to be of polyphyletic origin ans thus not a ''fis'' in the sense of a tribe claiming ancestor from a common male line ancestor. He does however describe Reši as a tribal region and mentions that they belong to a bajrak that also includes the Lohja tribe. Franz Baron Nopcsa mentions that the Reši are a small tribe of polyphyletic origin as well yet a commentator on his work a researcher named Ndoc Kamsi says that Reši is not actually a tribe but describes Reši as a ''mountain'' or region. I will link some sources about this topic below. I can't read or speak Albanian so I am using Google Translate for the Nopcsa article so maybe something gets lost in the translation. I am not sure. So is Reši a true tribe or more so of a region of MalŰsia e Madhe?

https://books.google.ca/books?id=i2I...20Reci&f=false

https://gazetamapo.al/topografia-dhe...-e-veriut-iii/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J Man For This Useful Post:

Greekscholar (08-11-2019),  Kelmendasi (08-11-2019),  Tßltos (08-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-BY32817
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1l
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-CTS1273*

Albania Kosovo
    As far as I know Reši was usually considered to be one of the smaller tribes of Malesi e Madhe. Oral traditions claim that the Reši stem from a village located around the Bojana river called Reš and that they supposedly fled to Malesi and came under the protection of the Shkreli. However apparently there are other stories which claim that they are of mixed origins, made up of families originally from the Shllaku and Pulti regions of north Albania.

IMO Reši was more of a tribe than just a region. They operated as a tribe and even had Bajraktars as well as founding legends.
    Ydna: J1>P58>YSC234>ZS241>BY32817 (Y179831)

Maternal Ydna: E-V13>CTS1273*

Mtdna: T1a1l

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelmendasi For This Useful Post:

Greekscholar (08-11-2019),  J Man (08-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Kelmendasi View Post
    As far as I know Reši was usually considered to be one of the smaller tribes of Malesi e Madhe. Oral traditions claim that the Reši stem from a village located around the Bojana river called Reš and that they supposedly fled to Malesi and came under the protection of the Shkreli. However apparently there are other stories which claim that they are of mixed origins, made up of families originally from the Shllaku and Pulti regions of north Albania.

IMO Reši was more of a tribe than just a region. They operated as a tribe and even had Bajraktars as well as founding legends.
    Thank you for your thoughts on this topic. I am inclined to agree with you to be honest in that I think that Reši is more so a tribe and not just a region. Personally I tend to make a distinction between a ''tribe'' and the Albanian word ''fis'' which I see as more of a ''clan''. A ''tribe'' is a group of people who work, support and live together and share similar cultural traits, traditions, language/dilaect etc. whereas a ''clan'' is more like a big extended family that races back to a single common ancestor. I think that ''tribes'' are generally made up of a variety of ''clans''. Sometimes a tribe is made up of one large clan or dominated by that clan of single origin that in time can divide into smaller sub-clans whereas in other cases a tribe can be made up of a variety of clans or families of different origin that came together in the past because of shared values, culture, language etc and became a distinct group even though they are made up of groups that originally had different origins. In this way I agree with Robert Elsie and Nopcsa in that I think that the Albanian tribes can be of monophyletic (of single origin) or polyphyletic (of multiple origin).

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Man For This Useful Post:

Greekscholar (08-11-2019),  Kelmendasi (08-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-BY32817
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1l
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-CTS1273*

Albania Kosovo
    Quote Originally Posted by J Man View Post
    Thank you for your thoughts on this topic. I am inclined to agree with you to be honest in that I think that Reši is more so a tribe and not just a region. Personally I tend to make a distinction between a ''tribe'' and the Albanian word ''fis'' which I see as more of a ''clan''. A ''tribe'' is a group of people who work, support and live together and share similar cultural traits, traditions, language/dilaect etc. whereas a ''clan'' is more like a big extended family that races back to a single common ancestor. I think that ''tribes'' are generally made up of a variety of ''clans''. Sometimes a tribe is made up of one large clan or dominated by that clan of single origin that in time can divide into smaller sub-clans whereas in other cases a tribe can be made up of a variety of clans or families of different origin that came together in the past because of shared values, culture, language etc and became a distinct group even though they are made up of groups that originally had different origins. In this way I agree with Robert Elsie and Nopcsa in that I think that the Albanian tribes can be of monophyletic (of single origin) or polyphyletic (of multiple origin).
    I agree with you. A good example is the Albanian tribe Gruda which was located in southeastern Montenegro, around Tuzi. The tribe was made up of various families some of which had completely different places of origin. Many of the families claimed origin from an area called Suma in north Albania whilst some other families claimed origin from Berishe and even Herzegovina. However, every family identifies as being part of Gruda.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelmendasi For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex

I agree with you. A good example is the Albanian tribe Gruda which was located in southeastern Montenegro, around Tuzi. The tribe was made up of various families some of which had completely different places of origin. Many of the families claimed origin from an area called Suma in north Albania whilst some other families claimed origin from Berishe and even Herzegovina. However, every family identifies as being part of Gruda.
    Yes indeed Gruda is a good example of a polyphyletic (multiple origin) tribe.

Also do you know if the people of Reši are classified as MalŰsors?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to J Man For This Useful Post:

Greekscholar (08-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-BY32817
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1l
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-CTS1273*

Albania Kosovo
    Yes indeed Gruda is a good example of a polyphyletic (multiple origin) tribe.

Also do you know if the people of Reši are classified as MalŰsors?
    Yes, the people from Reš are certainly MalŰsor and have been classed as such for a very long time.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelmendasi For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex

Yes, the people from Reš are certainly MalŰsor and have been classed as such for a very long time.
    They are an example of a mostly Muslim MalŰsor tribe then which is interesting although some of them are likely also Roman Catholic still. Originally they must have been all Roman Catholic though I think.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Man For This Useful Post:

Greekscholar (08-11-2019),  Kelmendasi (08-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-BY32817
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1l
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-CTS1273*

Albania Kosovo
    They are an example of a mostly Muslim MalŰsor tribe then which is interesting although some of them are likely also Roman Catholic still. Originally they must have been all Roman Catholic though I think.
    Yh they do seem to be mostly Muslim, there are other areas within Malesi which are mostly Muslim but they are the minority and clans as a whole tend to be mainly Catholic. Yh they were definitely Catholic before converting, oral traditions claim that they arrived in Reš as Catholics

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelmendasi For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex

Yh they do seem to be mostly Muslim, there are other areas within Malesi which are mostly Muslim but they are the minority and clans as a whole tend to be mainly Catholic. Yh they were definitely Catholic before converting, oral traditions claim that they arrived in Reš as Catholics
    Yes according to Robert Elsie there is a tradition among them that they originally descend from two Catholic families.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to J Man For This Useful Post:

Kelmendasi (08-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Thank you for the link Kelmendasi. Indeed it does seem like the Reši had their own bajrak in the past with their most famous bajraktari being Zyber Selmani.

https://zanimalsise.com/bajraktaret-e-malesise/

20. The Following User Says Thank You to J Man For This Useful Post:

Kelmendasi (08-17-2019)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast