Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 84

Thread: French Canadian vs. French French

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,404
    Sex
    Location
    America
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

    England Italy Germany Scotland

    French Canadian vs. French French

    what are the genetic differences (if any) between French Canadians and French French? is this just a national pride thing or are there real differences that show up with ethnicity calculators?

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JerryS. For This Useful Post:

     Angoliga (11-26-2019),  Björnsson (11-27-2019),  Tomenable (01-26-2020)

  3. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    199
    Sex
    Nationality
    US

    France England Germany Palatinate Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    what are the genetic differences (if any) between French Canadians and French French? is this just a national pride thing or are there real differences that show up with ethnicity calculators?
    I'm quarter French Canadian. My two cents:As far as I understand, the key difference between modern French and French Canadians, if any, is just that most French Canadians are a blend of two or three primary areas: Poitou-Charentes, Normandie, and Paris (the base stock of female progenitors were known as the "King's Daughter's" who came mostly from Paris.). Further, a little bit of Breton perhaps. So, basically, French Canadians are comprised of Western and Northern French.

  4. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to dchicn For This Useful Post:

     Angoliga (11-26-2019),  Björnsson (11-24-2019),  Cascio (12-07-2019),  Dalluin (11-23-2019),  fostert (11-24-2019),  JerryS. (11-22-2019),  jstephan (11-22-2019),  Kulin (11-23-2019),  linthos (11-25-2019),  MikeWhalen (11-24-2019),  palamede (11-22-2019),  Ruderico (11-22-2019),  Seabass (11-24-2019),  sktibo (11-23-2019),  Titane (11-24-2019),  Tomenable (01-26-2020),  Trelvern (11-23-2019),  Youenn (11-22-2019)

  5. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,404
    Sex
    Location
    America
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

    England Italy Germany Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by dchicn View Post
    I'm quarter French Canadian. My two cents:As far as I understand, the key difference between modern French and French Canadians, if any, is just that most French Canadians are a blend of two or three primary areas: Poitou-Charentes, Normandie, and Paris (the base stock of female progenitors were known as the "King's Daughter's" who came mostly from Paris.). Further, a little bit of Breton perhaps. So, basically, French Canadians are comprised of Western and Northern French.
    thank you for your speedy reply. just so I'm on the same page.... would it be fair to say a French Canadian and a Frenchman [from NW France] would be the same ethnicity/genetically on calculator models? if so, then French Canadian is more of a national identity rather than an ethnic one.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to JerryS. For This Useful Post:

     Björnsson (11-27-2019)

  7. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    199
    Sex
    Nationality
    US

    France England Germany Palatinate Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    thank you for your speedy reply. just so I'm on the same page.... would it be fair to say a French Canadian and a Frenchman [from NW France] would be the same ethnicity/genetically on calculator models? if so, then French Canadian is more of a national identity rather than an ethnic one.
    On calculator models, French Canadians will show some variability based on which combination of regional genetic traits they've inherited, just as modern-day people in France do. Even NW France varies from one distinct locality to another. Check out the other French boards, especially the recent comments on the "Global 25 PCA divers et varies" here on the French boards. I've found all the Francophone people as well as French Canadians here to be very informative and helpful.

  8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dchicn For This Useful Post:

     anglesqueville (11-22-2019),  Angoliga (11-26-2019),  Björnsson (11-27-2019),  Camulogène Rix (11-22-2019),  Dalluin (11-23-2019),  fostert (11-24-2019),  JerryS. (11-22-2019),  jstephan (11-23-2019),  Kellebel (11-22-2019),  linthos (11-25-2019),  Theconqueror (11-23-2019)

  9. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    168
    Sex
    Location
    Brittany, France
    Ethnicity
    Celtic & Berber
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y38675 (I2a2)
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a2f
    Y-DNA (M)
    G-BY37102 (G2a2)
    mtDNA (P)
    H1b1-a

    Algeria France Bretagne France
    From what I have observed when comparing the Canadian autosomal results (which I have in dna correspondence on 23andme for example) and my father who is Breton, it is that there are some (not all) who obtain much higher Iberian percentages. I don't know why. Perhaps due to ancestors in Aquitaine? Also, it's not much, but the Canadians I've seen generally receive 0.2, 0.3...% Native American. Which the French logically don't have. That's how I recognize a French Canadian result from a French French result. Then there may have been some who mixed with British populations in Canada as well, and I'm talking about a recent mix.
    There is a difference. Yes, the French Canadians are close to the French but they don't have the same history and it can also be felt genetically (more or less).
    23andme : 47.6% North African (Béjaïa & Sétif, Algeria) / 43.6% Northwestern European (Brittany, France), 4.7% Southern European
    G25 : 50.00 % French_Brittany_Rennes_B_46 + 50.00 % Algerian_Algerian43A23 0.008153
    Paternal lineage : I-M223 / I-Y3259 / I-CTS616 / I-Y3721 / I-Y3670 / I-L1229 / I-S18331 / I-Y6512 / I-Y38675
    Father's maternal lineage : H1b1-a (T16362C)
    Maternal lineage : T1a2f
    Mother's paternal lineage : G-Y85585 / G-Z36520 / G-FP3147 / G-Z36525 / G-BY37102*

  10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rinema For This Useful Post:

     Angoliga (11-26-2019),  Björnsson (11-27-2019),  Cascio (12-07-2019),  fostert (11-24-2019),  Helgenes50 (11-23-2019),  JerryS. (11-23-2019),  jstephan (11-23-2019),  palamede (11-23-2019),  Tomenable (01-25-2020)

  11. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    933
    Sex

    French Canadian ancestors come from a number of different parts of France but a lot came from Normandie and the Paris regions I believe. They are also a founder/bottlenecked population within Canada which means that most of them are actually related to each other genetically. Many also have some Native Canadian/American admixture.

  12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to J Man For This Useful Post:

     Björnsson (11-27-2019),  fostert (11-24-2019),  Helgenes50 (11-23-2019),  jstephan (11-23-2019),  palamede (11-23-2019)

  13. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,404
    Sex
    Location
    America
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

    England Italy Germany Scotland
    so, is it a general acceptance that French Canadians have roots mostly from NW France and generally have some traces of North American Indian?

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to JerryS. For This Useful Post:

     Björnsson (11-27-2019)

  15. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,607
    Sex
    Location
    Canada
    Nationality
    Canadian

    Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Cornwall Ireland France
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    so, is it a general acceptance that French Canadians have roots mostly from NW France and generally have some traces of North American Indian?
    Yeah, there are some traces of First Nations in French Canadian populations, but I'm not sure it is a large amount. Probably more common in Acadians or Cajuns (Acadian descendants). To some degree there is some Scottish and Irish admixture as well.
    Last edited by spruithean; 11-23-2019 at 04:20 PM.

  16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

     Björnsson (11-27-2019),  Dalluin (11-23-2019),  JerryS. (11-23-2019),  jstephan (11-23-2019),  Rinema (11-23-2019)

  17. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    933
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by spruithean View Post
    Yeah, there are some traces of First Nations in French Canadian populations, but I'm not sure it is a large amount. Probably more common in Acadians or Cajuns (Acadian descendants). To some degree there is some Scottish and Irish admixture as well.
    Yes true many Quebecers have some Irish Catholic admixture as well.

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J Man For This Useful Post:

     Angoliga (11-26-2019),  Björnsson (11-27-2019),  jstephan (11-23-2019)

  19. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    933
    Sex

    You can see in the French Heritage DNA Project and the Quebec DNA Project the founder Y-DNA lineages of early Quebec settler families.

    https://www.familytreedna.com/groups...out/background

    https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/quebecydna/about

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Man For This Useful Post:

     Björnsson (11-27-2019),  Tomenable (01-25-2020)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 134
    Last Post: 04-12-2020, 06:14 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-19-2017, 05:09 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-24-2017, 10:53 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2013, 09:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •