Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did Cambodians' ancestors come from southern China? Do genetics support this?

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a
    mtDNA (M)
    A11-a*

Canada Bangladesh Jammu and Kashmir India Pakistan Sri Lanka
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardrli View Post
    How do Laotians compare to Vietnamese in terms of affinity towards Southern Chinese?
    Laotians should be mostly like the Thai (esp some subgroups like the Isan in NE Thailand). The vietnamese are different in that, they weren't very 'indianized' in culture/admixture vs other SEAs. They may have some Indian-like ancestry most likely in southern areas of Vietnam, through absorption/assimilation of the Cham people, though its going to be very diluted.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kulin For This Useful Post:

FrostAssassin0701 (09-04-2019),  JerryS. (09-09-2019),  okarinaofsteiner (09-05-2019),  Richardrli (09-04-2019),  Tsakhur (09-05-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Nationality
    Canadian

The only analysis I recall seeing with Laotians (who weren't isolated hill tribes) had them somewhat shifted toward Cambodians and Austroasiatic hill tribes (Mlabri, Htin) relative to Vietnamese and Dai, so further from Chinese.

The 1000 Genomes Vietnamese are from Saigon, but they are pretty close to Dai, don't seem especially southern shifted (but I haven't seen them compared with northern Vietnamese).

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Megalophias For This Useful Post:

okarinaofsteiner (09-05-2019),  Richardrli (09-04-2019),  Tsakhur (09-05-2019)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    1/2 Ilocano 1/2 Tagalog
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    C-M130
    mtDNA (M)
    B4a1a

Philippines
    Quote Originally Posted by okarinaofsteiner View Post
    The initial rice farmers who settled in Mainland SEA had Austroasiatic affinities, while the ones who settled in Island SEA were Austronesians. Vietnamese stand out compared to other Mainland SE Asians in that they have much less Hoabinhian ancestry, almost zero South Asian admixture, and a stronger affinity towards modern-day South Chinese. Modern-day lowland Filipinos have less Austroasiatic-like ancestry (and possibly more recent admixture from modern-day South Chinese) than Malaysians and West Indonesians.
    Most regular Filipinos are also on average around 7-10% negrito admixed too i believe. Even Malaysians/Indonesians have some Semang negrito in them too but Semang is more linked closer genetically towards the Onge type of Australoid, whilst filipino negritos like the Aeta are closer genetically to the melanesian/papuan type I think.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shazou For This Useful Post:

JerryS. (09-09-2019),  okarinaofsteiner (09-11-2019),  Sikeliot (09-09-2019)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    1/2 Ilocano 1/2 Tagalog
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    C-M130
    mtDNA (M)
    B4a1a

Philippines
    Quote Originally Posted by shazou View Post
    Most regular Filipinos are also on average around 7-10% negrito admixed too i believe. Even Malaysians/Indonesians have some Semang negrito in them too but Semang is more linked closer genetically towards the Onge type of Australoid, whilst filipino negritos like the Aeta are closer genetically to the melanesian/papuan type I think.
    I guess such SE-asian groups like the Ma'anyan plot so distantly/distinctly from other SE-asians because of being subject to "genetic drift",,, while looking at the PCA chart below Filipinos are pulled closer towards East-Indonesians/Melanesians/etc correct me if I'm wrong

one study: https://www.nature.com/articles/srep26066

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12