Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does GREEK sound similar to/have similar phonology to the Romance languages?

Banned
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United States of America

Why does GREEK sound similar to/have similar phonology to the Romance languages?

Greek is in its own branch of the Indo-European tree and is not particularly close, at this point, to any of the other existing branches. With that said, the sound of the Greek language, especially in regions of Greece least impacted by Slavic migration, sounds very similar to Romance languages.

There are some Romance dialects and languages, such as the Sicilian/Neapolitan group, which are obviously especially close sounding to Greek because the population at one point had been Greek-speaking and then became Romance-speaking.

But Greek also sounds very much like, and often most similar to, Spanish by sound alone, which there is no historical precedent for, and is not THAT far off from the sound of standard Italian.

Is it a coincidence? Is it because Latin and Greek speakers have lived in proximity to one another for millennia and this influenced their speech?

Another worthwhile question is why the Romance languages sound absolutely nothing like Welsh, Gaelic, or Breton considering that the Romance languages are most closely related to the Celtic languages. Is it more that Latin once sounded more like Celtic languages, and became more Greek-sounding due to proximity?

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    I don't agree. I hear Greek spoken on a regular basis, and to me it sounds nothing like the Romance languages, one of which, Spanish, I also hear on a regular basis.

Banned
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I don't agree. I hear Greek spoken on a regular basis, and to me it sounds nothing like the Romance languages, one of which, Spanish, I also hear on a regular basis.
    What does it sound like to you then? There are some parts of Greece which might sound slightly Slavic-influenced in accent but other than that, Greek does closely resemble Spanish especially if you don't know either language well.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    What does it sound like to you then? There are some parts of Greece which might sound slightly Slavic-influenced in accent but other than that, Greek does closely resemble Spanish especially if you don't know either language well.
    They just don't sound alike to me and never have. We just don't hear them the same way, and that's okay.

Honestly, the only language I have ever heard that I might mistake for Greek is Armenian.

This young woman could also easily be mistaken for a Greek.

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPMqoHPJzac It does sound a bit like Castilian Spanish (spoken with "theta") to me (and other people, apparently)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

Sikeliot (09-01-2019)

Banned
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United States of America
    They just don't sound alike to me and never have. We just don't hear them the same way, and that's okay.

Honestly, the only language I have ever heard that I might mistake for Greek is Armenian.

This young woman could also easily be mistaken for a Greek.

Armenian sounds nothing like Greek to me at all.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Maybe I've heard too much of both Greek and Spanish to think they sound alike, because I don't think they sound anything alike.

I don't think French and Spanish sound alike either, yet both are Romance languages. Greek isn't even a Romance language.
    Last edited by rms2; 09-01-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    Armenian sounds nothing like Greek to me at all.
    Have you been around very many Greeks or Armenians?

I attend a Greek Orthodox Church, and I have an Armenian brother-in-law. I'm not fluent in either language, but to me they sound somewhat alike, certainly more alike than Spanish and Greek do.

I'm not saying Greek and Armenian are actually alike linguistically, and I can only talk about languages I have heard spoken. There may be some other language out there that sounds more like Greek than Armenian does, but it's not Spanish, not to me, anyway.
    Last edited by rms2; 09-01-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Banned
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United States of America
    Have you been around very many Greeks or Armenians?

I attend a Greek Orthodox Church, and I have an Armenian brother-in-law. I'm not fluent in either language, but to me they sound somewhat alike, certainly more alike than Spanish and Greek do.

But suit yourself.
    Armenian sounds like Persian/Farsi, with a slight Slavic intonation. I don't hear any similarity to the sound of Greek. I am very familiar with the sound of Greek and when I hear Armenian I don't hear any similarity.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

There is Not a single language in modern world to sound close to the Greek Languange.As for greek language is Not 100% of indoeuropean roots but many of our words are of pelasgian/Neolithic ancestry.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny ola For This Useful Post:

rms2 (09-01-2019)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast