Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does GREEK sound similar to/have similar phonology to the Romance languages?

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    Armenian sounds like Persian/Farsi, with a slight Slavic intonation. I don't hear any similarity to the sound of Greek. I am very familiar with the sound of Greek and when I hear Armenian I don't hear any similarity.
    Yet you think Greek sounds like Spanish.

Okay . . .

Different strokes for different folks, as they say (in English).

Banned
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    Yet you think Greek sounds like Spanish.
    Yes, I do think this. Especially from Spain (less so when compared to Latin American Spanish).

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW Europe+Ash/Seph Jewish

England Star of David Netherlands Turkey Denmark Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny ola View Post
    There is Not a single language in modern world to sound close to the Greek Languange.As for greek language is Not 100% of indoeuropean roots but many of our words are of pelasgian/Neolithic ancestry.
    I don't think we're talking about a close linguistic relationship here, mostly just coincidences in phonology that make two, not very closely related languages sound similar to outsiders. Native or very fluent speakers of either language can't be very objective observers in this case because their ears are much more likely to pick up on differences rather than similarities.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

Megalophias (09-01-2019)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Yes, I do think this. Especially from Spain (less so when compared to Latin American Spanish).
    Fine. Some people like one kind of ice cream, some another.

Obviously, we disagree, and the two languages are not really close linguistically. But if Greek sounds like Spanish to you, then it sounds like Spanish to you.

I'm not convinced there is a real good reason for that beyond the way things sound to you personally, but maybe someone else knows better.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    I don't think we're talking about a close linguistic relationship here, mostly just coincidences in phonology that make two, not very closely related languages sound similar to outsiders. Native or very fluent speakers of either language can't be very objective observers in this case because their ears are much more likely to pick up on differences rather than similarities.
    Most european languanges sounds fair to each other. Germanic, Slavic, Roman etc but when it Comes to Greek And Albanian language Not really.

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity

Obviously, we disagree, and the two languages are not really close linguistically. But if Greek sounds like Spanish to you, then it sounds like Spanish to you.

I'm not convinced there is a real good reason for that beyond the way things sound to you personally, but maybe someone else knows better.
    See the video I posted above. I think it explains it quite well.

Banned
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United States of America

Greek and Armenian languages are also not closely related. It was once believed they were, but this is no longer consensus.

Still, my question is actually being asked specifically because Spanish and Greek are not closely related. Spanish should, if we go by linguistic relation, sound much more like Irish Gaelic or Manx than like Greek but it doesn't, not even close.

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny ola View Post
    Most european languanges sounds fair to each other. Germanic, Slavic, Roman etc but when it Comes to Greek And Albanian language Not really.
    Who's talking about Albanian? I thought we were discussing Greek and Romance Languages, particularly Spanish.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

Quote Originally Posted by passenger View Post
    Who's talking about Albanian? I thought we were discussing Greek and Romance Languages, particularly Spanish.
    I am saying that languanges like the Greek And Albanian do Not stuck in the indoeuropean group. And Nope,Spanish And Greek dont sound related.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny ola For This Useful Post:

rms2 (09-01-2019)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Greek and Armenian languages are also not closely related. It was once believed they were, but this is no longer consensus.
    I never said they were. I said I am more likely to mistake Armenian for Greek than I am Spanish for Greek. However, once I get close enough to actually distinguish the words, I'm not likely to mistake either Armenian or Spanish for Greek.

Still, my question is actually being asked specifically because Spanish and Greek are not closely related. Spanish should, if we go by linguistic relation, sound much more like Irish Gaelic or Manx than like Greek but it doesn't, not even close.
    For something even odder, take two Italic (Romance) languages that should sound alike but don't: French and Spanish.

But your question was based on the idea that Greek and Romance languages actually do sound alike, and not everyone agrees that they do.

On the other hand, maybe I'm the only individual in the world who thinks Greek and the Romance languages don't sound alike.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast