Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many commercial testing/genealogical sites do you use?

Registered Users
    Sex

How many commercial testing/genealogical sites do you use?

Hi Folks,

Currently I'm on FTDNA and Ancestry.com where my autosomal test resides. Is there an advantage to joining another commercial site? When I'm searching for info I'm often taken to MyHeritage but I can't access the information. I'm tempted to join though, but I'm not sure I want to submit another autosomal test. I do see where many have an analysis with several commercial companies. But I could be convinced to do so if I read some compelling information. I guess a brick wall will cause folks to spend money, and I'm at a brick wall. I'm interested in finding matches and information for genealogy. I'm on GEDmatch and WikiTree and I use FamilySearch a good bit. Look forward to reading the responses.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tidewater For This Useful Post:

rms2 (09-04-2019),  Robert1 (09-07-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA (P)
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c23

United States of America Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Hi Folks, Look forward to reading the responses.
    I can only relate my personal experience. I also have a brick wall, my bio dad. I am presently on every dtc testing company in the USA as well as abroad. You could have matches in one and not the others. Case in point, a new match showed up on 23andMe a couple of weeks ago, turns out itís a second cousin on the brick wall side. Had I not tested with 23, I would never known he existed. So, depending on your situation, fishing in all the ponds increases your chances of discovery. Hope this helps, good luck.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amerijoe For This Useful Post:

MikeWhalen (09-04-2019),  rms2 (09-04-2019),  Robert1 (09-07-2019),  Tidewater (09-04-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Amerijoe View Post
    I can only relate my personal experience. I also have a brick wall, my bio dad. I am presently on every dtc testing company in the USA as well as abroad. You could have matches in one and not the others. Case in point, a new match showed up on 23andMe a couple of weeks ago, turns out it’s a second cousin on the brick wall side. Had I not tested with 23, I would never known he existed. So, depending on your situation, fishing in all the ponds increases your chances of discovery. Hope this helps, good luck.
    Thanks! That's kinda what I was hoping to hear.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Hi Folks,

Currently I'm on FTDNA and Ancestry.com where my autosomal test resides. Is there an advantage to joining another commercial site? When I'm searching for info I'm often taken to MyHeritage but I can't access the information. I'm tempted to join though, but I'm not sure I want to submit another autosomal test. I do see where many have an analysis with several commercial companies. But I could be convinced to do so if I read some compelling information. I guess a brick wall will cause folks to spend money, and I'm at a brick wall. I'm interested in finding matches and information for genealogy. I'm on GEDmatch and WikiTree and I use FamilySearch a good bit. Look forward to reading the responses.
    Depends on your goals. My main goal is family history. My most numerous/best matches are on Ancestry, and some of those are also on Gedmatch, but I have other important matches at 23andMe and FTDNA and MyHeritage (MyHeritage is just an upload, and I mainly tested at FTDNA for the mtDNA information, and had my dad test there for YDNA, but added autosomal too). Also, if you get into chromosome painting, which can be very helpful for placing matches, the sites other than Ancestry are important as Ancestry lacks a chromosome browser.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

rms2 (09-04-2019),  Tidewater (09-05-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish, Jewish
    Nationality
    Polish

Poland European Union
    I don't use any site but I hope it will change soon

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    I've experienced a lot of success with Family Tree DNA, but my main thing has always been my y chromosome line. Even there my biggest, most important breakthrough, which I am still really thrilled about, came as the result of what I learned first via FTDNA and then via a miraculous match at Ancestry with a guy who turned out to be a y-line fifth cousin once removed. That was a miracle, thank God, but it was set up by all the years of y-dna matches I got first at FTDNA. I spotted the Ancestry match because my y-dna work with FTDNA enabled me to know who and what to look for. Thank God the guy was willing to order y-dna testing from FTDNA to confirm things.

I also had test results from the old Ethnoancestry/BritainsDNA, but that company has since gone belly up, sad to say. Moment of silence, please. Cue Amazing Grace played by a lone bagpiper.

I am on the verge of ordering a test from 23andMe just to open up those possibilities and see what they have to offer. Probably will do that in the next couple of days.

I did upload my raw data to MyHeritage and created a tree there, but they want money to allow me to add more people to my pedigree. Probably not going to do that. One monthly subscription fee (Ancestry) is enough.
    Last edited by rms2; 09-04-2019 at 05:07 PM.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (09-09-2019),  MikeWhalen (09-04-2019),  msmarjoribanks (09-07-2019),  Robert1 (09-07-2019),  Ruderico (09-04-2019),  Tidewater (09-05-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    Also, if you get into chromosome painting, which can be very helpful for placing matches, the sites other than Ancestry are important as Ancestry lacks a chromosome browser.
    Good to know.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I've experienced a lot of success with Family Tree DNA, but my main thing has always been my y chromosome line. Even there my biggest, most important breakthrough, which I am still really thrilled about, came as the result of what I learned first via FTDNA and then via a miraculous match at Ancestry with a guy who turned out to be a y-line fifth cousin once removed. That was a miracle, thank God, but it was set up by all the years of y-dna matches I got first at FTDNA. I spotted the Ancestry match because my y-dna work with FTDNA enabled me to know who and what to look for. Thank God the guy was willing to order y-dna testing from FTDNA to confirm things.
    So you contacted the match on Ancestry and they ordered the Y-DNA testing? That's cool.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tidewater For This Useful Post:

rms2 (09-06-2019)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    So you contacted the match on Ancestry and they ordered the Y-DNA testing? That's cool.
    Yes, honestly, it was a miracle. I wrote him a couple of times in July and August of 2018 and got no answer. Then in November of 2018 I was looking at the match at Ancestry again. That time I prayed and asked God for help, sent another message, and the man answered and agreed to order a 111-marker test from FTDNA. He followed through on that promise and matched me 110/111.

Yeah, I believe in miracles. Thank God!

He has since done the Big Y-700 and matches me at FGC36982, which is one step upstream of my terminal SNP, FGC36981, which I share with a couple of second cousins. He is a fifth cousin once removed.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (09-09-2019),  Robert1 (09-07-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    Yes, honestly, it was a miracle. I wrote him a couple of times in July and August of 2018 and got no answer. Then in November of 2018 I was looking at the match at Ancestry again. That time I prayed and asked God for help, sent another message, and the man answered and agreed to order a 111-marker test from FTDNA. He followed through on that promise and matched me 110/111.

Yeah, I believe in miracles. Thank God!

He has since done the Big Y-700 and matches me at FGC36982, which is one step upstream of my terminal SNP, FGC36981, which I share with a couple of second cousins. He is a fifth cousin once removed.
    That's a fantastic find! Congratulations!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tidewater For This Useful Post:

JMcB (09-09-2019),  rms2 (09-08-2019),  Robert1 (09-07-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast