Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is your known ancestry Scottish/Irish but your ethnicity estimate is part Norwegian?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f

Ireland Australia Ireland County Tipperary Ireland Munster
    Quote Originally Posted by spruithean View Post
    My paternal side is mostly British-Irish mix, FamilyFinder and AncestryDNA report Scandinavian (FF) and Norwegian/Swedish (AncestryDNA) for my paternal cousin and I (same paternal line) in the range of 5-7%.

Our paternal lineage is from Scotland and the paternal haplogroup is seemingly some brand of Germanic albeit with a Gaelic surname.

My cousin and I both do not have any known Scandinavian ancestry, and in my case I guess my results are a bit muddy since my maternal side is Dutch (both Zuid-Holland and Groningen/Friesland) so that could throw some percentage to Scandinavia too.
    Brother is 100% Irish Connacht/Munster to be precise. LivingDNA gave him 9% Scandinavian.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

JMcB (11-04-2019),  pmokeefe (11-04-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

My YDNA is U152>L2>Z367>L20. My paternal genealogy traces to Antrim N. Ireland around 1700 and based on Y matches probably lowland/border Scotland prior to that. Most of my deeper Y matches trace to the British Isles (mostly Ireland and Scotland). However I do have one Y67 match who traces to Denmark. We are hoping he refines his SNP testing in order to see if he matches my family's terminal SNP or the terminal of our only BigY700 match's terminal SNP. If he does, I'm guessing that implies we probably arrived in British Isles via Danish Viking incursions in late 8th or sometime in 9th century. There are some recent Viking remains that were R-L20+. There was a Viking settlement near what is today Larne in County Antrim so I suppose that is a possible vector (though I think my lowland Scot matches cut against that theory). I'm guessing we were originally Viking raiders who settled in York or Northumbria and then migrated north to the Lothians in Scotland. That would somewhat fit the pattern of matching I have. But I suppose if the genetic distance is great enough I could be a Larne Viking descendant distantly related to other Danes who ended up in Lowland Scotland. It seems the more likely hypothesis is we got to Antrim during the Ulster plantation period, but that remains to be determined. Dr. Faux has hypothesized L20 may have got to British Islands via Jutland when it was still Celtic Cimbri. That is certainly possible too.
    Last edited by jcmax68; 11-04-2019 at 07:54 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jcmax68 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (11-04-2019),  pmokeefe (11-04-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland
    Ancestry gives me 4% Sweden and 2% Norway .
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to firemonkey For This Useful Post:

pmokeefe (11-04-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC6545-FT122506
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2*
    mtDNA (P)
    H27e

Ireland
    No one in my family who has tested (Dad, Mum, aunt, great aunt and I) receives any Scandinavian with Ancestry, FTDNA or MyHeritage.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Y-DNA (P) ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
    mtDNA (P) ancestor: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA (M) ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    mtDNA Great grandfather: Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)
    Y-DNA 2x great grandfather: Higgins b. c1816 in Co. Roscommon (R-DF109)
    Y-DNA 3x great grandfather: Fleming b. c1829 in Co. Roscommon (R-Z23534)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

JerryS. (11-05-2019),  pmokeefe (11-04-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

England Italy Germany Scotland
    again, forgive my ignorance and lack of awe with all of this but..... isn't part of the genetic make up for the UK part Scandinavian and German common knowledge?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JerryS. For This Useful Post:

jcmax68 (11-13-2019)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European
    Nationality
    Canadian

Canada Acadia England Scotland United States of America Canada Quebec
    My Ancestry DNA Story lists 41% Scottish Irish, 2% Norwegian. I've have no known Scandinavian ancestry. I do have 2 ancestors from Shetland and more from Northern Scotland, and many from Argyll-Bute.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Garth For This Useful Post:

pmokeefe (11-05-2019)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Nationality
    Norse-Angle
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Z284
    mtDNA (M)
    K2a5a

Northumberland Mercia
    When it comes to Scandinavian roots, there are two types of people in the Isles. One treats all Germanic DNA as English or Saxon in particular and the other embraces the many tribes' backgrounds that comprise the non-Anglo-Saxon heritage. Some of this is politically motivated, because the Celtic fringe may demonise all as Saxon, whilst the actual Saxons may worship Alfred. Others pretend all English are Celts in denial, or all Celts are unrealised English.

This is unfortunate, because of what happened to the Jutes and when it comes to the Danes, they're treated dismissively and diminished into oblivion. At the same time, Celts revel in their sextuplets and grasp at straws even to Galicia and Asturias. England is supposedly only about German Saxony and Dutch Frisia, with any from Schleswig-Holstein or Denmark supposed to fall in line and know their place. Case in point: Queen Anne and Elizabeth II have had Danish husbands, both of whom were treated as nonentities, so Charles and William are prevented from being themselves, bearing their surname and openly reconstituting the Danelaw blood of a third of the English folk, even as the houses of Hannover and Saxe-Coburg-Gotha both got to proudly strut their German compatibility with Englishness, same as William of Orange beforehand.

A double standard for sure, so, for someone like me of no R1b (nor indeed I1) subclade, but a clan from the Fjords that arrived in 1066 with Harald, who lost where William succeeded, I'm so obscure as to be buried through assimilation (my genes don't tell me to put up or shut up). Hey, for me, I identify with the Norse of York and Dublin, Mann and Orkney, Faroes and Iceland, Greenland and Vinland. It's been a long time to find comfort in my own patrimony and not simply trying to fit in the negationist black hole of Jutes/Danes, just as Northmen back home have struggled with a similar cultural cringe, from København ruling via Kristiania.

I'm not exceptional, because anybody who knows about the Neville clan of Westmorland; they're not Normans, but from the line of Dunkeld (I don't know their DNA). With diversity pushed on all of us, regarding all manner of Commonwealth rejects, our endemic multiculturalism should be reckoned adequate for the spice of life, beyond the black and white bipolarity of Anglo-Celts. On Wikipedia, they accept and understand Brythonic influences in Anglo-Saxon Southumbria, but God forbid you mention the history of the Gaelic influences of Norse Northumbria, despite Iona and Lindisfarne, etc.
    Last edited by Björnsson; 11-05-2019 at 02:35 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Björnsson For This Useful Post:

jcmax68 (11-05-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    N. Italian, Portuguese
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-M269 (Y-37)

Brazil Italy Italy Veneto Portugal Azores
    I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't really clear about my case, specifically.

I have no known British/Irish ancestry. The amount of British I was expecting to see was particularly because of my Portuguese background. It's not unusual to see that among Portuguese people, probably due to the shared Celtic origins. When it didn't show, and Scandinavia was there, I thought it could be a glitch. I ran the Eurogenes calculators, but it's hard to define what is what there, and I always get some North Atlantic and North Sea.

The only other explanation I could come up with so far (- and forgive my lack of knowledge, I'm just a beginner) was that it's related to Northern Italy somehow, even though I never thought that could happen; I thought ancient settlements wouldn't show in autosomal tests. I mean, I was expecting some German extract, but Scandinavia hand't really crossed my mind. I'm really curious to find out if other Italians/descendants share this. I'm the typical Southern Brazilian, fairly admixed (my ancestry is 50% Italian, 40% Portuguese, and about 10% Native), so sometimes it's hard to know what happened where.
    Last edited by tatals; 11-05-2019 at 05:47 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tatals For This Useful Post:

pmokeefe (11-05-2019)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Nationality
    Norse-Angle
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Z284
    mtDNA (M)
    K2a5a

Northumberland Mercia
    My wife and kids have Orcadian and Icelandic, after high Scottish. My Scottish is low, so I don't see Orcadian, much less Icelandic, even though both East and West Norwegian is visible for me, as for her. I have higher Irish than her, so I'm thinking Scottish DNA beckons the Orcadian, which is associated with Icelandic.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Björnsson For This Useful Post:

jcmax68 (11-06-2019),  pmokeefe (11-05-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Interesting roll up of all Irish Chronicle entries of Viking presence in Ireland 794-902 AD. https://www.celt.dias.ie/publication...oved/data.html

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jcmax68 For This Useful Post:

Björnsson (11-09-2019),  JMcB (11-06-2019),  pmokeefe (11-12-2019)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast