Thread: (Sephardic) Jews amongst Ghassanids in the Hauran

Sex

(Sephardic) Jews amongst Ghassanids in the Hauran

Some Ghassanids families belong to J2. Is there evidence to suggest that some of these families were Jewish and had assimilitated into the Ghassanid society before they fled from the Hauran?

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & British
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1-Z18271
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c5
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    U7a5

Israel Israel Jerusalem United Kingdom England Scotland Isle of Man
    You are kit N74325 from Amioun, correct? If so, it would seem based off your Y-STR results that you are Z40055, a discrete branch of J2a-PH4959 which is mainly found in the Arabian peninsula (Saudi Arabia, Bahrain & Kuwait):

While your branch seems to be a relatively obscure one at this stage (I strongly encourage you to go for the BigY) and this warrants caution, I'd say the results so far are quite consistent with a thoroughly Arabian and, more to the point, Ghassanid pedigree than a Jewish or Sephardic one... This goes on to show that not all of the J2 in Lebanon is Phoenician in origin, some of it definitely is Arabian and your branch is a valid contender here.
    מכורותיך ומולדותיך מארץ הכנעני אביך האמורי ואמך חתית
    יחזקאל פרק טז ג-

᾽Άλλο δέ τοι ἐρέω, σὺ δ᾽ ἐνὶ φρεσὶ βάλλεο σῇσιν:
    κρύβδην, μηδ᾽ ἀναφανδά, φίλην ἐς πατρίδα γαῖαν
    νῆα κατισχέμεναι: ἐπεὶ οὐκέτι πιστὰ γυναιξίν.

-Αγαμέμνων; H Οδύσσεια, Ραψωδία λ

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Agamemnon For This Useful Post:

AbdoNumen (09-28-2019),  Kelmendasi (09-27-2019),  Power77 (09-27-2019),  Pribislav (09-27-2019),  StillWater (09-27-2019),  Targum (09-27-2019)

Sex

Thank you Agamemnon for your thorough response. When I get the chance, I will purchase additional tests. I never suspected Jewish heritage until I was contacted by individuals who claimed that my lineage is Cohanim Jewish given my Y-DNA and surname (El Azar). This surname is Ghassanid but also apparent in Jewish populations. Thank you for elaborating that the Ghassanid lineage is the most likely one. Yes- that is my Kit and Amioun is Greek-Orthodox Christian. There is a church there which was a Phoenician/Caananite temple, which was then converted to a Roman temple and then to a church, showing the imprints of various cultures.