Thread: Translation help from Latin/Greek to English?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French, English
    Nationality
    U.S.A.
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152,L2,Z49Z142,Z150

Switzerland Italy Piemonte France England United States of America

Translation help from Latin/Greek to English?

Is anyone willing to try and translate a pdf document which contains old Latin/Greek to English for me?

These few paragraphs were written by Pliny the Younger and I think it refers to the origin of the play Feu de Carmen. I think the text references the writings found in ancient times written on some burnt or fired clay tiles.

I would most likely need to e-mail it as a pdf attachment. If so please let me know and I will send my e-mail via personal notification.

Once I tried using google translate but because of the mix of Latin and Greek it doesn't work very well.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

I have just figured out how to put this on here as an image. Right click the image and choose "save as" to save the image to your computer. Then you can look at it with you image viewer. You will be able to enlarge it as much as needed to read it.

I have highlighted the section of the page with the information that I am looking at.
    pigmon feu de carmen.jpg

Thanks
    Curtis
    Last edited by Pigmon; 06-08-2014 at 06:58 PM. Reason: additional info
    Former cold war era "silent warrior" - the top 1/2 of the top 1 percent of the U.S. Air Force Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Current level of testing: R1b1a2a1a2b1c1 U152, L2, Z49, Z142 and Z12222/Z150*

(BigY shows that a back mutation of PF214 make my closest Big Y matches Buffington, Smith, Lincoln and Mitchell)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French, English
    Nationality
    U.S.A.
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152,L2,Z49Z142,Z150

Edit to add:

I just added a thumbnail to this post which can be downloaded, enlarged and hopefully translated. Paragraph 3 is really what I am after!

Thanks,
    Curtis
    Former cold war era "silent warrior" - the top 1/2 of the top 1 percent of the U.S. Air Force Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

(BigY shows that a back mutation of PF214 make my closest Big Y matches Buffington, Smith, Lincoln and Mitchell)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French, English
    Nationality
    U.S.A.
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152,L2,Z49Z142,Z150

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmon View Post
    Is anyone willing to try and translate a pdf document which contains old Latin/Greek to English for me?

These few paragraphs were written by Pliny the Younger and I think it refers to the origin of the play Feu de Carmen. I think the text references the writings found in ancient times written on some burnt or fired clay tiles.

I would most likely need to e-mail it as a pdf attachment. If so please let me know and I will send my e-mail via personal notification.

Once I tried using google translate but because of the mix of Latin and Greek it doesn't work very well.

I have just figured out how to put this on here as an image. Right click the image and choose "save as" to save the image to your computer. Then you can look at it with you image viewer. You will be able to enlarge it as much as needed to read it.

I have highlighted the section of the page with the information that I am looking at.
    pigmon feu de carmen.jpg

Thanks
    Curtis
    Thumbnail is above^
    Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pan-European & Romani
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L21>MC14>A6138
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b24 - T321C

Australia Romani United Kingdom Ireland European Union
    The works of Pliny the younger have been translated into English.
    Trying to translate sections of this, through Google translate, will more than likely be futile.
    Find the title that this excerpt is from and look for a translation on the internet.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French, English
    Nationality
    U.S.A.
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152,L2,Z49Z142,Z150

Quote Originally Posted by N21163 View Post
    The works of Pliny the younger have been translated into English.
    Trying to translate sections of this, through Google translate, will more than likely be futile.
    Find the title that this excerpt is from and look for a translation on the internet.
    Thank you for your interest!

I have found the translation of the letters but what I am looking for is a translation of the footnote (#3) at the bottom of page 381 of this book. Apologies - I failed to state that in my post.

It is Liber V epistola XVII footnote 3. The text is mostly Latin with some Greek references.

If you can point me to a translation of that section I would be most appreciative!

Thanks,
    Curtis
    Last edited by Pigmon; 06-09-2014 at 12:18 PM. Reason: typo
    Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French, English
    Nationality
    U.S.A.
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152,L2,Z49Z142,Z150

I am still looking for help with this translation if anyone wants to give it a go!

pigmon feu de carmen.jpg

Thanks
    Curtis
    Hidden Content

Legacy Account
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United Kingdom
    Is anyone willing to try and translate a pdf document which contains old Latin/Greek to English for me? These few paragraphs were written by Pliny the Younger and I think it refers to the origin of the play Feu de Carmen.
    I have found the translation of the letters but what I am looking for is a translation of the footnote (#3)
    The footnote was not written by Pliny. Only the text was written by Pliny. The footnotes will be from one of the scholarly editions with both text and notes in Latin. As you will know this letter (5.17) was to Spurinna and starts:

I know what an interest you take in the liberal arts, and how delighted you are when young men of rank do anything worthy of their ancestry. That is why I am losing no time to tell you that to-day I made one of the audience of Calpurnius Piso. He was reading his poem on the Legends of the Stars, and it was a learned and very excellent composition....
    http://pages.pomona.edu/~cmc24747/sources/plin_1-5.htm

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French, English
    Nationality
    U.S.A.
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152,L2,Z49Z142,Z150

pigmon feu de carmen.jpg

Thanks for the help Jean,

The part that I would like to be translated is the highlighted part and from there to the end. I think it says something like Pigmon author of a love story Feu de Carmen. The information having been discovered on some ancient burned tiles and this was written in the margins - or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean M View Post
    The footnote was not written by Pliny. Only the text was written by Pliny. The footnotes will be from one of the scholarly editions with both text and notes in Latin. As you will know this letter (5.17) was to Spurinna and starts:

http://pages.pomona.edu/~cmc24747/sources/plin_1-5.htm
    Last edited by Pigmon; 11-08-2016 at 09:19 PM. Reason: added info
    Hidden Content

Legacy Account
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United Kingdom
    I think it says something like Pigmon author of a love story Feu de Carmen. The information having been discovered on some ancient burned tiles and this was written in the margins - or something like that.
    That helps. I now know which edition this came from - that of 1734. At this date, the lower case letter "s" is rendered in a long form that looks to us like "f". So there is no "feu de Carmen". The Latin is "seu carmen". The context: Note 3 refers to the poem title given in Greek in Pliny's original and translated in the English edition as " Legends of the Stars".

The bit you highlighted seems to refer to a translation of the Greek title in previous editions or manuscripts. "Pal. [editor or manuscript, presumably] [gives] recitabat tacta pigmon, Vett. Edd. [old edition] tacto pigmon." No idea what "tacto pigmon" or "tacta pigmon" was intended to mean. This seems like bad Latin. Then follows "ex quo natum Aldi [word in Greek here], Gruter [word in Greek here]" = from this sprang the Greek titles given by Aldi and Gruter [editions, presumably]. There follows:

Ludicrum de amore poem, vel joculare de rebus amatoriis poema seu carmen. Catan vertit: Opus de ludo amoris.
    Google translates as "The contests of the love poem, or make jokes about things amorous poem or song. Catan turns the work of the game of love."
    Last edited by Jean M; 11-09-2016 at 06:58 AM.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bulgarian
    Nationality
    New Zealander

Bulgaria New Zealand
    You need to find someone who speaks Ancient Greek