Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b

Jordan Jabal Shammar Yemen Adygea Iraq

Sexual Dimorphism in Humans

Will Humans still be sexually dimorphic in the distant future if we all of us were practicing Monogamy rather than Polygamy like Gorillas and so on? Or is it simply based on sexual selection that males and females find certain traits on each other attractive to keep our dimorphism in tact?

Gold Class Member
    Sex

United States of America Dravida Nadu
    Media trends are enough to keep that form of selection now I guess. Well, some of them. I'm more concerned with fertility companies these days complicating pregnancies with triplets, quintuplets and the like. Not enough cases to actually make a difference (I'm not necessarily an anti-natalist, as life in any form shouldn't be condoned at least by us) but it's a very direct downhill example of where our genes can head under certain circumstances. If genes of infertility are spread easily then that defeats the purpose of dimorphism. It's not just the obvious outward assets but the balance of female hormones to support healthy natural childbirth. It can get pretty wacked in infertile women to support metabolic dysfunction - which is supposedly an adaptation to starvation. Meant for less kids but prioritized brain development and survival. Now if there's too many, and too many not adapted for a world with an altered food supply you're definitely going to see less "feminine" ones.
    Last edited by Mandoos; 10-24-2019 at 10:29 PM.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian/Iraqi Bedouin
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoos View Post
    Media trends are enough to keep that form of selection now I guess. Well, some of them. I'm more concerned with fertility companies these days complicating pregnancies with triplets, quintuplets and the like. Not enough cases to actually make a difference (I'm not necessarily and anti-natalist, as life in any form shouldn't be condoned at least by us) but it's a very direct downhill example of where our genes can head under certain circumstances. If genes of infertility are spread easily then that defeats the purpose of dimorphism. It's not just the obvious outward assets but the balance of female hormones to support healthy natural childbirth. It can get pretty wacked in infertile women to support metabolic dysfunction - which is supposedly an adaptation to starvation. Meant for less kids but prioritized brain development and survival. Now if there's too many, and too many not adapted for a world with an altered food supply you're definitely going to see less "feminine" ones.
    Well, I was just simply asking whether or not monogamy would have any effects on the sexual traits difference between men and women.

Gold Class Member
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Alanson View Post
    Well, I was just simply asking whether or not monogamy would have any effects on the sexual traits difference between men and women.
    Having observed birds copulating and how different the males usually look I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be an issue

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian/Iraqi Bedouin
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b

Having observed birds copulating and how different the males usually look I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be an issue
    Hmm, but don't most Birds cheat on the other spouse though? I mean, is that the reason why most Birds are sexually dimorphic even though they're socially Monogamous for the most part? Because they cheat? I'm not familiar to any of this.
    Last edited by Alanson; 10-24-2019 at 10:40 PM.

Gold Class Member
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Alanson View Post
    Hmm, but don't most Birds cheat on the other spouse though? I mean, is that the reason why most Birds are sexually dimorphic even though they're socially Monogamous for the most part? Because they cheat? I'm not familiar to any of this.
    I think thats polyandry since they've just observed eggs fertilized by different males. Hypothetically it should operate differently from polygyny as observed in tigers, gorillas and humans. Females should be more dimorphic in polyandry and males in polygyny. Perhaps the issue isnt monogamy but how much selection there has been by one gender.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mandoos For This Useful Post:

Alanson (10-25-2019)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian/Iraqi Bedouin
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b

I think thats polyandry since they've just observed eggs fertilized by different males. Hypothetically it should operate differently from polygyny as observed in tigers, gorillas and humans. Females should be more dimorphic in polyandry and males in polygyny. Perhaps the issue isnt monogamy but how much selection there has been by one gender.
    Makes sense considering that Birds lay eggs in contrast to Mammals.