Thread: What do you know about I-CTS5966?

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland

Question What do you know about I-CTS5966?

My stepson, who is a great kid, just got his 23andMe results, and he is I-CTS5966.

I know relatively little about y-dna haplogroup I. What can you tell me? Any important ancient dna results in I-CTS5966?

My stepson is Russian, born in Volgograd, old Stalingrad, but he is a U.S. citizen now. He has a master's degree in Computer Science and rakes in the big bucks in Washington, DC.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FTA53697

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Cornwall Ireland France
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/I-CTS10228/

Looks like the various subclades can be found all over Europe, with a number of them being Balkan, Eastern Euro based.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

rms2 (10-27-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & Slavic
    Nationality
    Israel & Russia
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1b - S17250
    mtDNA (M)
    R0a4
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b5a

Israel Israel Jerusalem Russian Federation Serbia Montenegro
    Quote Originally Posted by spruithean View Post
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/I-CTS10228/

Looks like the various subclades can be found all over Europe, with a number of them being Balkan, Eastern Euro based.
    I am S17250, downstream from CTS5966 (synonime of CTS10228).

There are 2 options:
    - he belongs to Y3120, one of the most common (likely even most common) Slavic happlogroups, we discussed in numerous topics here and also discussed in numerous topics in Russian-speaking forums. This actually means 23andme did a very bad job, as far as I expexted them to give more detailed analysis;
    - he is CTS10228, but not Y3120. This means his Y-chromosome is very rare and very interesting for the Slavs history. In this case make bigY and send his data to Y-full. Until now there is only one known case of CTS10228+ who is negative for Y3120, from Alsace. So, personally I expected Y3120 to come from the West.

I have checked, that usually 23and me gives more detailed terminal SNP for this happlogroup.
    https://www.23andmeforums.com/discus...Comment_387822
    Probably you should check his raw data, and try to see where he has negatives and where no calls.

Here is one of the topics where we discussed the Y3120 happlogroup.
    https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....igins-of-I2a1b

Two words about ancient results.
    There are upstream neolithic results from Western Europe and 3 downstream medeval Slavic Results. Sunghir6(yes, Sunghir6 is a medeval burial that happened to be located very close to the paleolithic one), and two cases of autosomally Slavic results from the Viking paper - one of Rurikid dynasty member, and one from Gotland burial (from Gotland, but turned out to be autosomally Slavic).

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artemv For This Useful Post:

Michał (10-27-2019),  rms2 (10-27-2019)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Thanks. In terms of autosomal ancestry composition, his best fit is Poland:

Grisha_23andMe_Likely Match_Poland.jpg

Years ago, he submitted a sample to Sorenson (SMGF) back when it existed and was free. As I recall, his closest y-dna STR match back then was none other than our own lgmayka. I forget how many STRs were involved or exactly how close the match was. That was a long time ago.

Grisha isn't likely to go for the Big Y. What he got from 23andMe is probably enough to satisfy his curiosity. I will take your advice and give his raw data a look later when I get the chance.
    Last edited by rms2; 10-27-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Please delete: duplicate post.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italo-Iberian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152>L2>FGC10543
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a1-T152C!

United States of America Italy 1861-1946 Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    My stepson, who is a great kid, just got his 23andMe results, and he is I-CTS5966.

I know relatively little about y-dna haplogroup I. What can you tell me? Any important ancient dna results in I-CTS5966?

My stepson is Russian, born in Volgograd, old Stalingrad, but he is a U.S. citizen now. He has a master's degree in Computer Science and rakes in the big bucks in Washington, DC.
    My father-in-law's belonged to I-CTS5966 and many levels below after I tested individual SNPs. His father was born in Zalesie, Podlasie, Poland and had a paper of nobility that went back several hundred years.
    Paternal: R1b-U152 >> L2 >> FGC10543 >> PR5365, Pietro Rocca, b. 1559, Agira, Sicily, Italy
    Maternal: H4a1-T152C!, Maria Coto, b. ~1864, Galicia, Spain
    Mother's Paternal: J1+ FGC4745/FGC4766+ PF5019+, Gerardo Caprio, b. 1879, Caposele, Avellino, Campania, Italy
    Father's Maternal: T2b-C150T, Francisca Santa Cruz, b.1916, Garganchon, Burgos, Spain
    Paternal Great (x3) Grandfather: R1b-U106 >> L48 >> CTS2509, Filippo Ensabella, b.~1836, Agira, Sicily, Italy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to R.Rocca For This Useful Post:

rms2 (10-27-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & Slavic
    Nationality
    Israel & Russia
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1b - S17250
    mtDNA (M)
    R0a4
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b5a

Israel Israel Jerusalem Russian Federation Serbia Montenegro
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    Grisha isn't likely to go for the Big Y. What he got from 23andMe is probably enough to satisfy his curiosity. I will take your advice and give his raw data a look later when I get the chance.
    Probably I wasn't clear enough.
    My advice was to investigate why didn't 23andme assigned him a more detailed happlogroup and start with raw data.
    If he is indeed negative for Y3120 his bigY results would be very important, but I guess there is more chance that it was just sort of 23andme error that they assigned him less detailed happlogroup than they usually do.

Nothing special about his "Polish result", that is likely a common 23andme error.
    I also got Poland as the most likely country for my Slavic ancestry, and even the same top regions, in a bit different order. I really doubt that I could have even a single catholic ancestor for the last 200 years.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to artemv For This Useful Post:

Michał (10-28-2019)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

When it comes to contacting 23andMe and complaining, or just asking questions about his y-dna haplogroup, Grisha will have to do that for himself, if he wants.