Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Are Semitic/Cushitic Ethiopians genetically closer to Levantines than to Bantus?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Posts
    4,342
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    United States of America

    Are Semitic/Cushitic Ethiopians genetically closer to Levantines than to Bantus?

    When I used Global25, for all of the Semitic and Cushitic speaking Ethiopians, though the distance was very great and nowhere near "close" I found that they were genetically closer not only to Arabians and North Africans when compared to Nigerians and Congolese, but even to Levantines, Cypriots, Cretans, etc. than to Nigerians/Congolese.

    I just even ran through Spaniards, Corsicans, etc. and even they are closer than Nigerians/Congolese are.

    Is this actually correct?
    Last edited by Sikeliot; 10-30-2019 at 04:54 AM.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sikeliot For This Useful Post:

     Targum (10-31-2019)

  3. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    122
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Ethnicity
    Middle Eastern
    Nationality
    Palestinian Christian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1-ZS6262
    mtDNA (M)
    P/M:J2b1/U8b1a2

    Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    When I used Global25, for all of the Semitic and Cushitic speaking Ethiopians, though the distance was very great and nowhere near "close" I found that they were genetically closer not only to Arabians and North Africans when compared to Nigerians and Congolese, but even to Levantines, Cypriots, Cretans, etc. than to Nigerians/Congolese.

    I just even ran through Spaniards, Corsicans, etc. and even they are closer than Nigerians/Congolese are.

    Is this actually correct?
    Your post reminded me of this paper. It states Ethiopians have significant Eurasian ancestry in the last 3000 years. Ancestry similar to Levant_N and to Anatolia_N. It even suggests Philistines disappeared from the Levant only for similar ancestry to appear in Ethiopia.

    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/694299v1.full
    Last edited by Iseid0441; 10-30-2019 at 05:59 AM.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Iseid0441 For This Useful Post:

     Targum (10-30-2019)

  5. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    385
    Sex

    Probably yes, but is that really all that important since the distances to both groups are high.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NetNomad For This Useful Post:

     drobbah (10-30-2019),  GabrielZelalem (10-30-2019)

  7. #4
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,598
    Sex
    Omitted
    Location
    Arabsiyo,Somaliland
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32>E-FT385910
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

    Somaliland Adal Sultanate Yemen African Union Canada
    Actually Horners are closer to some Bantu and Nilotic populations than they are to Levantines or Arabians.Groups like the Eritreans/Ethiopian Tigray are arguably closer to North Africans than they are to Bantus (Tutsis,Kikuyu etc) but definitely not Levantines or unadmixed Arabians.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drobbah For This Useful Post:

     GabrielZelalem (10-31-2019),  pgbk87 (11-01-2019)

  9. #5
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,598
    Sex
    Omitted
    Location
    Arabsiyo,Somaliland
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32>E-FT385910
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

    Somaliland Adal Sultanate Yemen African Union Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Iseid0441 View Post
    Your post reminded me of this paper. It states Ethiopians have significant Eurasian ancestry in the last 3000 years. Ancestry similar to Levant_N and to Anatolia_N. It even suggests Philistines disappeared from the Levant only for similar ancestry to appear in Ethiopia.

    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/694299v1.full
    Yet we have Pastoralist samples from Kenya older than that date with Natufian-like ancestry.It is obvious this "Eurasian" ancestry was brought from North Africa by early Cushitic pastoralists that ventured south into the Horn.

  10. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,641
    Sex
    Location
    Calgary
    Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2-S2361 < L801
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b(1)
    mtDNA (P)
    H3

    Canada
    In Global25, sure. There are other measures that might give different results.

    That said, the result is not unreasonable, because Horners' East African ancestry is not very close to West African, whereas their North African/West Asian ancestry is relatively close to that of Mediterranean/Arabian populations.

    Did you try Kikuyu for your Bantu reference, or just Kongo?

  11. #7
    Banned
    Posts
    4,342
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

    United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalophias View Post
    In Global25, sure. There are other measures that might give different results.

    That said, the result is not unreasonable, because Horners' East African ancestry is not very close to West African, whereas their North African/West Asian ancestry is relatively close to that of Mediterranean/Arabian populations.

    Did you try Kikuyu for your Bantu reference, or just Kongo?
    Kongo.

    The issue with using Kikuyu is that they are approximately 1/8 Arabian/Natufian like. They already have a shift away from other Bantus and toward the Middle East.

  12. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    323
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    95% Ashkenaz,5% Sephardic
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c

    Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    Kongo.

    The issue with using Kikuyu is that they are approximately 1/8 Arabian/Natufian like. They already have a shift away from other Bantus and toward the Middle East.
    Lazaridis found that Natufian-Levantine lines migrated to East Africa. Earlier there was a migration to the Levant from the Nile. Nilelike artifacts have been found among the Kabeans and the Natufians.

  13. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,641
    Sex
    Location
    Calgary
    Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2-S2361 < L801
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b(1)
    mtDNA (P)
    H3

    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Iseid0441 View Post
    Your post reminded me of this paper. It states Ethiopians have significant Eurasian ancestry in the last 3000 years. Ancestry similar to Levant_N and to Anatolia_N. It even suggests Philistines disappeared from the Levant only for similar ancestry to appear in Ethiopia.

    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/694299v1.full
    This paper didn't make a lick of sense to me. Or anyone else, as far as I can tell. Mysterious Anatolian influx into the Horn less than 3000 years ago that somehow coincidentally makes them look like >3000 year old East African pastoralists next door?


    Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    The issue with using Kikuyu is that they are approximately 1/8 Arabian/Natufian like. They already have a shift away from other Bantus and toward the Middle East.
    Sure, that is part of the variation among Bantu. Horners vary in Arabian ancestry (on top of their older presumably Northeast African ancestry), North Africans and Middle Easterners vary in different kinds of African ancestry, so that all affects the distances. But yeah I find the same, Kongo (or SW Bantu) is the best 'pure' Bantu reference, or Tanzania_Pemba_600BP. Yoruba I think may have specific drift in G25 that inflates their distances (Mende are closer to everyone, which doesn't make a lot of sense geographically or otherwise).

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Megalophias For This Useful Post:

     drobbah (10-31-2019),  NetNomad (10-31-2019)

  15. #10
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,598
    Sex
    Omitted
    Location
    Arabsiyo,Somaliland
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32>E-FT385910
    mtDNA (M)
    L0a1d
    Y-DNA (M)
    T-FGC92488

    Somaliland Adal Sultanate Yemen African Union Canada
    The Semitic admixture in Horners can range between 1-17% peaking in the Eritreans & Ethiopian Tigrays
    ver.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by drobbah; 10-31-2019 at 08:10 PM.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to drobbah For This Useful Post:

     Deftextra (10-31-2019)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pre-Semitic Arabia
    By Inigo Montoya in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-11-2020, 12:43 PM
  2. No Bantus or Niger-Congo In Cameroon
    By Ramond in forum African
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 06-14-2020, 07:08 PM
  3. Are modern Levantines Arabicised Canaanites?
    By Ertebord in forum Genealogy
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-09-2019, 12:46 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-21-2019, 11:49 PM
  5. The Semitic Origin of Al Andalus
    By martinchaide in forum Ancient (aDNA)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-11-2018, 05:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •