Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b

Jordan Jabal Shammar Yemen Adygea Iraq

The Genetic Structure of Levantine and Egyptian Arabs

After tweaking the Vahaduo and etc, I managed to create the genetic structure of Levantine Arabs which also includes me, happycow(Palestinian Muslim from West Bank) and Abdelnour(Lebanese Christian) from the apricity. Sadly, there are no Jordanian samples, so they're the only Levantine group that are not found in G25 results.

As you can clearly see, Levantine Christians derive have the highest affinity to the ancient Canaanites from the middle bronze age period, Muslims and Druze are second highest due to having admixtures from outside the Levant recently. The Druze and the Syrian Muslims have strong west asian admixture from the Caucasus, while me and abdelnour have somewhat of an outlier to our respective populations since Abdelnour had the highest genetic affinity to neolithic Iberians and both of us have strong genetic affinity to middle bronze age Armenians. Me and happycow have over 2% pure east african admixture while the average Palestinian Muslim has over 4% while their Christian counterparts has none like their Lebanese counterparts. Egyptian Muslims obviously have the highest SSA admixture while BedouinA group has the 2nd highest here. Egyptians obviously have the highest genetic affinity to their ancestors from the late period of ancient Egypt.

Looks consistent in what my Assyrian friend, Aren, told me in the other forum:
    Egyptians are quite close to Levantines. Using Berbers, the Canaanite samples, Armenia_EBA, Arabs, Steppe and extra African I get:

"distance%=1.1742"

Egyptian

Levant_BA_North,55.4
    Mozabite,20
    BedouinB,15.8
    Dinka,8.8

Palestinians score small, but significant amount of Steppe + more Canaanite and Armenian. Also some Berber probably due to this sample having several Egpytian mixed Palestinians.

"distance%=0.8776"

Palestinian

Levant_BA_North,61.8
    BedouinB,13
    Armenia_EBA,8
    Sintashta_MLBA,7.8
    Mozabite,5.2
    Dinka,4.2
    What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Alanson; 10-31-2019 at 07:12 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alanson For This Useful Post:

Iseid0441 (10-31-2019),  jonahst (10-31-2019),  KingofPhoenicia001 (10-31-2019),  Megalophias (10-31-2019)

Banned
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United States of America
    Looks like Muslim Levantines, with the exception of Palestine, have an elevated Armenian/Iranian-like element more so than an elevated Arabian one. Syrians are clearly somewhat "Mesopotamian."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sikeliot For This Useful Post:

Alanson (10-31-2019)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian/Iraqi Bedouin
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    Looks like Muslim Levantines, with the exception of Palestine, have an elevated Armenian/Iranian-like element more so than an elevated Arabian one. Syrians are clearly somewhat "Mesopotamian."
    I hope that the genetic results aren't too shabby, lol. Yeah, Syrians are pretty west asian shifted genetically which is why I cluster more closer to them than to other Palestinians.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi Jew
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-Y2750
    mtDNA (M)
    H47
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-L791
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1b1a

United States of America Israel
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanson View Post
    After tweaking the Vahaduo and etc, I managed to create the genetic structure of Levantine Arabs which also includes me, happycow(Palestinian Muslim from West Bank) and Abdelnour(Lebanese Christian) from the apricity. Sadly, there are no Jordanian samples, so they're the only Levantine group that are not found in G25 results.

As you can clearly see, Levantine Christians derive have the highest affinity to the ancient Canaanites from the middle bronze age period, Muslims and Druze are second highest due to having admixtures from outside the Levant recently. The Druze and the Syrian Muslims have strong west asian admixture from the Caucasus, while me and abdelnour have somewhat of an outlier to our respective populations since Abdelnour had the highest genetic affinity to neolithic Iberians and both of us have strong genetic affinity to middle bronze age Armenians. Me and happycow have over 2% pure east african admixture while the average Palestinian Muslim has over 4% while their Christian counterparts has none like their Lebanese counterparts. Egyptian Muslims obviously have the highest SSA admixture while BedouinA group has the 2nd highest here. Egyptians obviously have the highest genetic affinity to their ancestors from the late period of ancient Egypt.

What do you guys think?
    Nice effort and interesting results. My concern with models like this is that it seems unlikely that modern Egyptians have twice as much ancient Levantine ancestry as ancient Egyptian ancestry. Not sure this makes sense historically. I think this will always be an issue when modeling with both populations.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jonahst For This Useful Post:

Alanson (10-31-2019)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian/Iraqi Bedouin
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b

Quote Originally Posted by jonahst View Post
    Nice effort and interesting results. My concern with models like this is that it seems unlikely that modern Egyptians have twice as much ancient Levantine ancestry as ancient Egyptian ancestry. Not sure this makes sense historically. I think this will always be an issue when modeling with both populations.
    Well, the ancient Egyptian I used here is from the late Egyptian period, not the Hellenic period. Yeah, especially due on the fact that they cluster with modern Egyptians. I couldn't find the Coptic average though.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Lebanese
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a
    mtDNA (M)
    X2i

Lebanon Albania United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanson View Post

What do you guys think?
    Not sure about Egypt, but the Levantine averages are consistent with previous studies I have come across... Would love to try it out for myself
    78.1% Lebanese (Lebanon) + 21.9% Kosovar (Kosovo) @ 3.3

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KingofPhoenicia001 For This Useful Post:

Alanson (10-31-2019)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian/Iraqi Bedouin
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b

Quote Originally Posted by KingofPhoenicia001 View Post
    Not sure about Egypt, but the Levantine averages are consistent with previous studies I have come across... Would love to try it out for myself
    Yeah. I tried to work it out with the Egyptian sample but it's..a bit difficult to figure it out entirely.

Banned
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United States of America
    Palestinians (both Christians and Muslims) are clearly mostly indigenous Levantine, though for the Muslims their higher SSA input does suggest some Egyptian ancestry, and they are slightly Arabian shifted compared to the other Levantines. But definitely not the transplanted Arabians that some wish them to be.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sikeliot For This Useful Post:

Alanson (11-01-2019)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian/Iraqi Bedouin
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b

Quote Originally Posted by Sikeliot View Post
    Palestinians (both Christians and Muslims) are clearly mostly indigenous Levantine, though for the Muslims their higher SSA input does suggest some Egyptian ancestry, and they are slightly Arabian shifted compared to the other Levantines. But definitely not the transplanted Arabians that some wish them to be.
    Some right winged Zionists like Benjamin Netanyahu like to claim that we came directly from the Arabian peninsula even though we're genetically in the Levantine cluster than the Arabian one like the Saudis and the BedouinB people. While there is no question that we do have some admixture from outside the Levant in recent history and etc, we're pretty much native to the land, and that our Levantine ancestry directly derives from the ancient Israelites and even the Phoenicians in the coastal lines of the Galilee such as myself as Semitic Duwa explained in the other thread. Being an Arab is not a racial identity which is true for being Jewish as well where being an Arab is an ethno-linguistic identity while Jewish is an ethno-religious one like the Druze and the Yezidis but they're not closed to converts like the other two, so there is no problem for a gentile to convert and assimilate to the Jewish tribe like Herod the Great where his mother was a Nabatean Arab and his father was an Edomite which used to mean someone who is an Judaized Arab.
    https://www.britannica.com/biography...king-of-Judaea

Hell, there are even some Palestinian and Lebanese peoples who converted to Judaism and even becoming rabbis as well.
    Last edited by Alanson; 11-01-2019 at 10:35 AM.